Missing A Stop In Service Mode Confuses The Game

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AlexNL, Sep 30, 2017.

1. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

I started a new game in service mode, for which I picked train 2N08. I left Paddington about 7 minutes late, I decided to make up for the time lost by skipping the stop at Ealing Broadway. Upon arriving at Southall I performed the normal open/close routine, and after that I handed over control of the train to an AI driver.

What happened?
    When I passed Ealing Broadway the activity indicator did not change to "Stop at location: Southall", but it kept saying that I had to stop at EAL. The distance to that stop kept increasing as well.

When the AI driver took over, he didn't do anything. The train did not continue to Hayes & Harlington, but didn't return to Ealing Broadway either.

What did I expect would happen?
    I expected the game to mark the stop at Ealing Broadway as missed, and the AI driver to continue the journey towards Hayes & Harlington as usual.

2. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

I've returned to Paddington and taken a different train from there (2N12). This one is now stuck just before Southall as the platform is still occupied by 2N08.

Can someone get the driver of 2N08 some coffee? :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I think in real life, if you were to miss a stop, you would reverse in and stop anyway. The TS17 perspective of missing a stop being like "Oh you missed, too bad for the people who wanted on/off there, that's coming off your paycheck" doesn't make much sense in the real world. By ignoring the instructions, AI will definitely get confused, and I think this is just down to a design choice for TSW that's different than TS17. So...uh...don't miss stops anymore. ;)

4. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

Actually, the TS2017 model is quite realistic. Especially in Career Mode, as you get a hefty penalty when you miss out on a stop. In real life it's highly unlikely for trains to "reverse and stop anyway" when the driver has missed a stop.

A train which has overshot the platform by a few feet can usually reverse without any problem (except if they passed a signal at the end of the platform), but if the stop has been really missed it's not that easy.

This is because...:
    1) The signaller decides. On a busy railway, they will never opt to have the train reverse as this would cause delays to that train and to any train following it.
    2) a driver can't just put the reverser in backwards and take power, as he'd be driving blind. A competent person in the rear cab might help, but one has to be available*.
    3) The driver could change cabs, which costs a lot of time and has to be done twice. The driver has to shut down the cab he's in, walk to the other end, set that cab up, then go back.
    4) It's possible that the line you're running on isn't equipped for bi-directional running (no signals in the opposite direction).

All in all... if a driver misses a stop for whatever reason (delays, confusion) it's common practice for the train to continue to the next station, passengers who wanted to get off at the missed stop can take a train back from there. And, depending on the delay incurred, they can claim for Delay Repay.

* Here in the Netherlands, guards don't need to have knowledge about the route or the signalling system.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. chrisvazquez7

chrisvazquez7 Active Member

^ I think that might depend on country. Here in Canada, passenger trains are allowed to reverse the length of their train without having point protection (provided they do not pass a signal). This is specifically for when trains overshoot a platform.

6. MikeLi

MikeLi New Member

I missed a station with about 1-200 yards yesterday. I reversed back to platform and unloaded the passengers but because I already passed the signal, it was red and didn't change to green. Tried to get permission to pass att danger but it was denied tho it was "no route avalible". So this needs to be fixed in some way. Because as it is right now, it's game over if you miss the stop cause you can't go back due to you won't get green signal again and you can't go forward cause the instructions is still to stop at the station you just missed..

• Like Like x 1
  7. BenDragon81037

BenDragon81037 Member

I've definitely heard of trains which are running late to skip a station or 2 so that they run on time.

in TSW, I feel the objective system is so rigid that you can't do this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Interesting observation not sure if helps but earlier today I watched a col failure YouTube video he overshot southase in class 377 on east coastway reversed back through red signal loaded passengers got denied no route available but didn’t apply power but rolled 377 through red signal slowly and it didn’t end game not even message saying passed signal at danger

9. esteeleiv

esteeleiv New Member

The game will kick you out if you pass the red signal, I don't know how you were able to pass a red signal and reverse. At least my game has kicked me out for passing red.

10. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Happens on RRO, when you save and load. The marker is on the end station and the next station is not recognised, seems like the game wants you to finish what you have started ;-)