Gathering Outstanding Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DTG Protagonist, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Out of Memory, as mentioned already. Totally agree with comments about an upgrade core, I'd pay for it.

Biggest issue for me are the gaps in British AC traction. Classes 81-85, No AC slam-door stock at all.
    Modern stock like 323, 331, 332, 333, 334, 345, 357, 2nd gen Electrostars, Desiro City, Aventra and Stadler Flirts.
    You'll struggle to get far on the rail network without seeing one of the above modern units, it feels like TS is falling behind the times but is also missing a chunk of railway history in NSE land.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Hipper

Hipper New Member

Scenario Editor. Make it more intuitive. Use similar systems as Windows such as saving, closing pages etc..

• Like Like x 1
  3. savvnz

savvnz New Member

After 5 and a half years of route and asset building, I am going to go with better multicore support/updating the graphics engine. The sim struggles a lot with dense scenery, largely caused by CPU bottlenecking, even on fancy modern processors with lots of cores/threads - spreading the load across more cores would greatly improve this - as would actually make the GPU do some of the work.

Like many of the others here calling for it, I would not be afraid to open the wallet to get the update. I've personally had the sim since it was Rail Simulator, so thats a lot of free yearly updates already! Paying for one wouldn't be too much to ask at all.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  4. SJA

SJA Active Member

I decided to do my bit, communally, and make a summary of bullet points of stuff raised by everyone so far. Some very similar ones/repeats have been merged into one point each.

• Improvements in source material referencing when route/asset building where possible (i.e. platforms lengths/markers, crossovers, etc)
    • Workshop and consist builder features unstable at present, with a lack of meaningful error messages for end users
    • Extra testing on scenarios. Career scenarios may not always be achievable, and standard timetabled scenarios may require unrealistic driving techniques to complete (although this applies to third parties too, not only DTG). This is limiting some users' ability to gain accomplishments
    • USB audio interface users and 64 bit
    • Any way to utilise RAM better to reduce tile stuttering?
    • Stock physics being more reflective of reality
    • Scenario editor and how train types (i.e. express passenger/stopping passenger/freight/ECS) are prioritised for pathing by in-game dispatcher. Also routing in QD -- instances of user-placed markers being disregarded within the simulator
    • Out of memory errors/dumps
    • Some users experiencing stock being invisible after sitting stationary for a period in a siding -- passing stock showing limited elements of the train model itself, such as only couplers
    • New version of Direct X / any possible core updates including use of more cores. Multiple users suggesting they would pay for this and not expect it to be a freebie. A user also uploaded a screenshot showing very poor CPU optimisation -- the simulator would be more accessible to more people with a broader range of specs were any optimisations able to be made. More DLC sales as a result?
    • Autosave feature added to route and scenario editors
    • Updated Lua version
    • Issue with floating passengers wandering off platforms and into random spaces
    • UK distant signalling functionality updated in line with real practices
    • Missing textures on some routes for some times of the day (i.e. night textures)
    • More flexibility in pre-defined camera positions
    • Debrand withdrawn content and re-release somehow -- assuming this would need to be a different App ID on Steam to not overwrite it for previous purchasers who got the branded versions prior to withdrawal on licencing grounds. OR, potentially adding these plus other old routes to Humble Bundle (for example) as a package
    • Protection for DTG content such as scenarios, keeping them .ap packed and verified all the time -- meaning in order to modify them, they have to be cloned
    • Not being able to correctly use the AI spawn marker settings to select which percentage of AI consists should appear when in 64-bit mode. The tabs for Page 1 or Page 2 cannot be clicked on
    • Customisable controls/keybinds

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

My peeve is unrealistic timetabling. Essential you need to game the system by speeding by just enough to not get pinged and then slam on the brakes to meet the fantasy timetabling. Please amend whatever system comes up with these timings to allow timetables to be met without the need to speed.

6. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Can somebody fix the keyboard issue reported and fully demonstrated by fcsflyboy .... above? ;-)

More seriously - keyboard and controller mapping would be a good thing to look at. I am going to be naughty and add a second request (on top of the Workshop Tab issue).... for TS1.....

Can the XBox controller on TS1 have a function mapped to it that allows it to use the mouse pointer function? This is done extremely well in TSW on DS4 and XBox. Zoom is there, but a double-click of the R3 stick (for example) to bring up a cursor in TS1 would be very useful (and then have the ability to select stuff with it.. to replicate mouse LMB click and LMB click and drag).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>>

Free TS1 from the keyboard... for basic functions... please...!
    <<<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

Good summary.

In regards to verification and protection of DTG dlc:

This could be problematic. Here is an example. If i want to enable a quick drive ai consist for another route, you can’t clone it. It will render both the original and the clone unusable since consists have to be unique. The only way to enable qd consists for other routes is to modify the original preload. Now what the suggested process will do is to erase all changes every time TS is started.

So i’d be strongly against this. It would ruin a lot of work for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Easy way round this would be to separate the consist list from the route, but have them in a separate folder altogether (maybe still in the contents folder but not necessarily so)
    Then you wouldn't have to clone or copy them anyway. You could just export them with routes or scenarios intact

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

To reply to this, I would not be against separating routes and stock into separate files even within a DLC and having two different folders for each. A new engine can then properly load and unload everything, and you don't have to necessarily load the locos that come WITH the route if none of that loco are used in the scenario being played. Right now, if you have four DLC required and they comprise of 14 different locos, they all load.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

For Sam's sake and sanity.
    This is turning into a discussion thread between posters here.
    So as he doesn't have to read through a load of opinion and counter opinion, keep it simple and concise, and don't comment on other posts.
    Read Sam's original post again.
    If you want to help him help us why not leave out the chit chat.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. noahg5

noahg5 Guest

I have an issue
    The apt was broken a few weeks ago, but when it was fixed, platforms stopped appearing, and the people walking on the platforms were just floating

12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So what is the key to put the pantograph up on a Steam loco?
    What is the key to sound the whistle on a Diesel loco?

There can not be a "Central Keybind" as you call it because not every train is the same
    And the main keys are the same form Most Locos
    Railworks  Keyboard.jpg

And it is sooo simple to change the Input Mapper file
    I have a French Electric that uses an AZERTY input - took me 10 mins to change a text file

Peter

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. phil17

phil17 New Member

Tile loading and stuttering should be the top priority in my opinion. They are the biggest immersion killers for me.

Without smooth gameplay what's the point of anything else and why continue to build on dodgy foundations? My playing time and DLC purchasing have decreased significantly over the years because of the above issues..

I would be happy to pay for a core upgrade (and start buying DLC again) if fluid gameplay could be achieved.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 5
  14. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

This would be great, I really hope the loading of tiles can be more optimized to eliminate the microstutters that occur. It will also be great if smooth fps can be maintained while AI traffic is in the scene

15. GibbseyNZ

GibbseyNZ Member

I add my voice to those saying they would gladly pay for an upgrade to the game to DX12 and multicore support.
    My list of feature/issues would be
    - Upgrade to much newer DX version
    - Upgrade game engine with much better multicore support
    - Higher resolution terrain mesh, currently 8m
    - Better shadow processing that doesnt use lots of cpu power
    - Controls remapping in options menu
    - Perhaps not many people would use it but plugins to interface with other things, like usb controllers with working gauges or something.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

You clearly need to get out more, or in the context of this discussion, play other games.. I could list other sims that have exactly the functionality I described with no adverse effect on mods (that's third party content that you don't have to pay money for but that's probably over your head too)

Oh and it's sooo simple to change the custom keybinds in them too ;)

17. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Hi folks, this is an excellent array of feedback so far. Staying on topic and giving one piece of feedback per person was a goal that I knew was unlikely to be followed, and that's fine, however I should point out that half a dozen posts from above I'll summarise as "Allow full editing of controls".

The more succinctly you can describe the problem, the greater the likelihood I'll be able to get a clear response.

No changes required by any of you, just take it under advisement.

• Like Like x 5
  18. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

How about an easier way to swap loco's / stock in scenarios??? If for example there was a Class 47 in a scenario and I wanted to swap it out for say a Class 50 (like what would happen in the real world if there's a shortage of booked motive power), I'd like to be given the option on the start screen.

I know it can be done, but although I've played TS for years, I'm not familiar with messing about with editors etc...

Eric

19. tsted.designs

tsted.designs Member

It would be nice for reskins, custom assets and other mods to have the option of being uploaded to the Steam Workshop like in other games such as Cities: Skylines, this would make my role as a reskinner and player much easier with having one place to download anything.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You can swap the locos in the game

Peter

21. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Just to add my voice, as others have mentioned, the sheer number of broken / impossible scenarios and achievements.

I have submitted various lists to DTG over recent years and nothing is ever done. Its very evident that little or no QA / play testing is done before release. I can forgive the odd historical inaccuracy but broken scenarios and achievements are inexcusable.

Some simple fixes would generate a whole lot of goodwill amongst the users!

• Like Like x 1
  22. vshvjt1

vshvjt1 New Member

Hello DTG
    My suggestion is
    *First of all add Dx12 multi-core and SLI support
    *Add up and down vibrations on bad quality tracks, currently they vibrate only left/right.
    * Loco Change instructions while playing in standard and career scenarios.
    *Improve in Assets Block's LOD
    * Better material plugin for 3ds Max

• Like Like x 2
  23. Cyclone

I may be wrong, and if so, I accept being wrong, but I believe the concern involves unowned DLC. If you, for instance, don't have that AP Class 86 pack, make it easy to substitute the original Class 86, or even a completely different kind of loco. I don't know whether or not the scenario will properly load in-game otherwise, and the idea is avoiding having to go to Ts-Tools.

Of course, the other idea about allowing all locos to work provided they are not what you're driving is also a good one, but again might require a new core.

24. ARuscoe

Problem with this is it can break the dispatcher...

For instance if you've got a scenario on Teeside with a class 27 and you sub in a class 66 or 70 you're going to break the AI timings. Bit of an out there example, but the same applies to say replacing a HST with an 800. The acceleration and braking change means you could easily end up being ahead of where you're supposed to be which can cause issues such as passing AI which would have moved, but is now static as you're five or ten minutes ahead of where the scenario author intended

25. Cyclone

This lends even more importance to being able to load any train without owning the DLC. This means adding a lot of data to the base game to make the AI trains possible. It also means, again, that we need a better core to support it. It would be nice if there were available options for the game to automatically sub in and treat identically for each missing consist, but I realize it would be difficult.

What you note, however, explains why one must be careful even with a utility like Ts-Tools.

26. ARuscoe

There IS no base game. Each route is distinct, each consist distinct.
    This would mean rewriting the dispatcher completely to work on trigger points rather than release timings and would actually stop some scenarios from working properly. I prefer to work with realtime scenarios rather than anything else and if they rewrote it they would break the timings of the AI

It's not a simple thing

27. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Which part/s of Sam's original text that I've highlighted in red do some people not understand?

Poor Sam is trying to do a survey here. For his sake and ours, help him by not twittering on your pet gripes.

If you want to discuss what you'd like in TS, why not start a new thread and thrash it out there?

• Like Like x 2
  28. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Which part/s of Sam's additional text that I've highlighted in red do you not understand?

29. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

30. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Sooo? We're both right then :D

Btw just for clarity, I posted this on page 1..

Nobody cared on page 1 so what makes you think anyone will now by page 2?

Just roll with it Cat, life's to short ;)

• Like Like x 1
  31. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

It beats me that some cannot follow a simple request, Worse than kids. :D

• Like Like x 1
  32. Cyclone

Speaking of kids, can you kids stop arguing over every little sentence of his post and get back on topic? Thank you. :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. aeterna

aeterna New Member

- better dx version and multi-core usage update, and i can happily pay for it. After 64-bit update, which I appreciate a lot, this would add to the quality of this game a lot, more than any dlc we pay for.

• Like Like x 3
  34. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

I enjoy giving guidelines that ensure everyone is right.

Carry on as you are. I'll be compiling each of the threads this week.

• Like Like x 4
  35. jstange

jstange Member

36. Cyclone

I already sent Steve a video summary of page 1 if you can use it, but otherwise, SJA summarized the thread to date five posts into page 2. If you'd rather do your own summary, as you wish. :)

37. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

A better way to figure out if you have the needed DLC to run a workshop scenario would be nice. I've wasted a lot of time loading scenarios only to find out I don't have all of the DLC that is needed to run it.

• Like Like x 3
  38. Cyclone

This is especially important given that workshop tags often don't tell you whether you have everything. Further, some workshop tags tell you to get things you DON'T need. Edinburgh-Newcastle has two tags; one is bugged going back to 2014. Chiltern is now showing up as required for a lot of items it's not needed for. And there is a York-Peterborough SCENARIO pack that is being tagged on over 200 items erroneously. Meanwhile, routes like London to Brighton, West Coast Main Line North, and South London Network sometimes don't tag. Sometimes, you even see the five or six character number representing a DLC and not the DLC itself tagged (Sheerness can do this). Just today, I saw a scenario for Glasgow Airport Rail Link; the 380 that comes with it was tagged, but the route wasn't despite it being where the run takes place! I sent a memo to Support about this last month but they told me to go to Steam, and I honestly don't think they'd fix the issue. Workshop search also doesn't work properly for a single loco. At all. You can't pick from the list and find scenarios. It's 100% broken. Everything needs to be rechecked after things get fixed.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Agreed there needs to a better to display what additional content is needed to run workshop scenarios, I too have wasted time trying to load workshop content only to find I am missing addons. And in some cases requires content I do not have access to.

40. ttjph

ttjph New Member

Fix the core wheelslip physics.
    • Delete the train length friction kludge. It's just not needed.
    • Actually use DryFriction, WetFriction and SnowFriction as appropriate.
    • Update these values to sensible (playable! - be careful with Snow) values for all legacy locos, except possibly where scripted slip is implemented.
    Thanks!

41. Marc von Hoffrichter

Marc von Hoffrichter Member

Well, here's my two bob's worth, FWIF anyway.
    With all the perceived problems with wksp content, and I have had two OOM crashes since my first (both located and removed) why not have some sort of...oh, I dunno, high speed application at the upload gateway in Steam or via DTG portal that the creator of the content must run the content through in order to unsure the contents validity as a working/workable file. Sorta like a confirmation of all the working bits all singing the same tune at the same time against a standard test......some sort of munger Brainiac bomb .exe bizzo?

Beyond that......,gimme my heritage diesels please, some juicy well derived ye olde British diesels.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Yes - this must become a core feature in any scenario Editor for TSW as well - preferably for all content that is designed to be shared.

• Like Like x 1
  43. ARuscoe

Would need to be run consistently throughout the lifetime of the asset or content. If something uploads on day 1, and then on day 126 some requirement is updated or removed (which happens a lot) then it would have been checked, but that check is now invalidated.

I believe that the uploader DOES run some sort of check which generates the tags in the first place etc, but we seem to be in the realm of "check on download" rather than "check on upload". Of course this would then require a reporting system (built in for ease of end use) and taking down of broken content, which would then possibly break other workshop items...

• Like Like x 1
  44. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The OP wished to change the Class 47, which is a locos from the ELAP, to a Class 50 which he has purchased.

If it was about unowned DLC than I might have suggested TS Tools but it depends on how good the person is with files

Peter

45. hightower

hightower Guest

I’m fully aware that I’m repeating myself here but I do find hard to apologise for it because this message must get through.

Irrespective of my request for the engine to be brought up to date as best as can be done (paid for if needs be) you HAVE to sort these dumps out! The fact that they’re all being reported as OOM hardly helps the situation. It’s completely doing my head in - that’s now 3 YouTube videos I was making where the bl**dy thing has just dumped to the desktop at varying stages through 3 different scenarios, on 3 different routes. Literally hours wasted.

It wasn’t like this when 64bit was born, something has changed in the last year or so. The game is almost becoming unplayable, to the point where you have to question if it is any longer fit for purpose.

Please please prioritise this issue.

Please don’t now go further off topic and discuss OOM dumps below, it’s been done to death.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2020
  46. Cyclone

The problem is that the check does not happen correctly. One day I looked at the four newest woekshop items and was greeted to three instances each of the York-Peterborough scenario pack and Newcastle-Edinburgh being required. Worth noting this was before Newcastle-Edinburgh came out on Steam. So both tags should not be appearing, but the game is saying hey, you need this scenario pack and this third-party route that we don't allow references to on the workshop. Uh, right?

• Like Like x 1
  47. ARuscoe

I would imagine that "the game" is reporting some asset or another in a folder name in code that is then being misread by steam and misreported. Hence saying checks need to be undertaken properly and not just on upload. Obviously in this instance DTG don't control Steam, but they do control the checking process

48. Cyclone

I have to throw this in here given there was just an announcement for Train Sim World 2. Don't leave this game behind. This game needs much more of an update than Train Sim World does (and I'm sure it does). Take the feedback in this thread and do what the users want. We have collections that, for some users, are VERY high over the years and are not compatible in the newly announced game. This includes a lot of third-party content which cannot be controlled here, of course, but would be accommodated for. Available content should be able to be played properly in a sim that is designed to use all of it. So updating TSW to a second version almost feels like a slap in the face to us. I hope this game will not get left behind and that a development team will be working to make thus game what it should be, even if a new Train Simulator core proves to be needed. Naturally, if you get the new core working, you have hundreds of DLC to sell with it, so it's easy money from there. I'm sure people with those expansive collections would be more than happy to help with testing.

• Like Like x 3
  49. ARuscoe

Speak for yourself. I would be happy for them to do to TSx what they've done to TSW. Move to an updated engine, updated features and updated content. The legacy support would totally fit into the TSx arena and so long as the editor function remained I think I would be happy

• Like Like x 3
  50. hightower

hightower Guest

As long as the legacy products worked with it then bring it on. It can’t come soon enough.

• Like Like x 3