*new Teaser*

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by 66050, Jun 5, 2020.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Hello, I have a few questions;

- Will existing TSW:2020 (TSW 1) content take advantage of the new game engine and features? Such as upgraded skies/weather and wheel slip/slide, for example?

Regarding the Bakerloo Line;

- Will it feature the full length route from Elephant and Castle to Harrow and Wealdstone?

If so;

- Will the adjacent WCML along with Willesden and Wembley yards be fully modelled?

I fear the route will look extremely bland and feel like a ghost town on the north end of the route, due to lack of any rolling stock on the WCML, which runs beside it, as well as the lack of the Class 378 on the DC lines.

-
    How does DTG plan to overcome this issue as in real life the areas around Wembley and Willesden is very busy?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Others will disagree with me - but this....... this is exactly what is required. Clarity.

It is perfectly okay (in my opinion, which will no doubt get shot down in flames....)..... to say: "Nope - we will not fix A - we thought about it, but decided to fix B instead. Not only is B easier to fix, but more people wanted B fixed... and anyway, we're thinking about using a lot more B in the future" (no pun intended).

So - people will know where they stand.

Customers can then say "You know what - I really wanted A fixed, so now I am going to play a game training virtual dolphins instead" .... or they can say - "Well, it's a pity A won't get fixed... but I will still stick with TSW.... because I actually quite like B.... and they fixed that issue with B.... just as they said they would....."

B could, of course.... be a Class 47, just for example.... ;-)

• Like Like x 5
  3. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

I get that. Totally respect the position.

So let's get this out of the way immediately - there is no 180 coming. It's not what you want to hear, but I'm not going to string you along. TSW2 is a new game. If you want to call it something else that's entirely your choice, we believe it not only warrants being a new title but actually, it has to be due to the numerous disconnects it has with TSW1.

That aside.

TSW1 will continue to work for you as it is. The level of support it will receive from here on has not been covered, but for the sake of argument let's say it is indeed none. It certainly won't be worse than no support at all.

If you're a railfan, keep half an eye on what we do from here. We know where we've been less than stellar historically, but that means nothing unless it changes in the future. Take a break, sit this one out, leave permanently - it's your choice. We aspire to be the best rail simulator out there. That requires some changes both to how we work and to how we work with our players. I can tell you that these changes are happening, but you shouldn't believe a word of it until you see it.

• Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. arapajoe3

arapajoe3 Active Member

I completely agree with you, I will not forget this either, it seems like a stab to users. I will not buy anything from DGT again, if this is taking care of the consumer of your company ... I have missed something ...

5. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

The finally honest answers are greatly appreciated, but sadly this is something that will generate mixed feelings in plenty of people, including me. I am really looking forward for the new stuff, I will probably buy TSW2 at the end (though definitely will not preorder, I have to see how it is first), but it definitely is a bummer that features that were said to be coming to TSW are in fact not coming to TSW.

Especially so because TSW always felt a bit lacking in features, even though the graphics and the core basics were great and promising, many people were missing things like the route/scenario editor and such, but still bought TSW because it was said that these features will come eventually, therefore the game worths buying even despites it's flaws and missing features. So now this step makes people feel "why did I buy it then?".

Now don't get me wrong, I don't regret buying TSW, since I got like 2 years of fun out of it after all, and as I said I am planning on probably buying TSW2 as well. But the question is, is this going to be a new norm? A completely new release every time there is a major update? Because after this, people will have a bit harder time believing the promises. The FAQ says steam and multiplayer is coming. For TSW2? Or will that be another release? Both were already promised for TSW as well. What about the route editor?

Even though I have mixed feelings I am willing to spend on TSW2 if it seems like it worths it, but if this ends up being the new norm and in a few years we will be having five different copies of TSW, then I think many people will be unhappy. Don't go down the Trainz route, DTG. Don't be like that please.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Deebz__

Deebz__ Well-Known Member

I appreciate the honesty. That is the most I could ask from you.

If you believe TSW2 is worth being an entirely new title, Dovetail has its work cut out for them to prove it after today's reveal. The list of new features on that website just does not warrant a purchase in my opinion. Wheel slip, a couple of very basic editors that don't allow people to share things with others, a few Dovetail Live features, some HUD/control tweaks, and marginally better graphics... well, unless you guys are hiding a ton of other stuff that people have asked for, this just doesn't cut it. As for features being promised for the future, well we have TSW1 to look back on to see how Dovetail's promises turn out, and it isn't a good look.

The current state of the game has already left me feeling like I have not gotten my money's worth. It's hard enough for me to justify continuing to play this game over something like Derail Valley. Knowing that I will need to pay more in order to continue getting updates, including something as fundamental to a train simulator as wheel slip, is enough to turn me away entirely. Especially since it sounds like wheel slip won't even be included for older addons?

This is where Dovetail has their work cut out for them. I have been burned repeatedly by this company over the years. Back in TS1, I was told by Dovetail support that I had to purchase additional DLC to get the DLC I just bought to be playable. This was on top of the base content for the game literally containing placeholder images and text where tutorials should have been.

Flight Sim World was a flop.

TSW has proven to be a consistent disappointment, all the way from launch. I have continued to keep an eye on the franchise, as it is the only one which currently attempts to simulate real trains on real routes in a modern game engine, and since it was always promised that it would get better. After the utterly broken launch was a thing of the past, I still felt that this game was too buggy and low quality overall to commit much time and money to. I have waited years now for the issues to be fixed, and for overall quality to improve. I have also waited for promised features to arrive, such as multiplayer and the editor. These were indeed promised by the way, in a video from 2016 which Dovetail has now unlisted from YouTube...

Years on from launch, many long standing bugs with older content have not been fixed, quality of new addons has actually gone down if anything, and I am now being asked to purchase a new version of this game in order to (maybe eventually?) get the features promised to us for TSW1 back in 2016, and to continue receiving support for what I firmly believe is something that I have already bought. I know you don't call these shots, but I want to stress how absolutely unacceptable it is for Dovetail to ask this of us in these circumstances.

You say that changes are coming. I won't be around in the foreseeable future to see those. One day though, I'll no doubt run across this franchise again, and we'll see if those changes made a meaningful difference, or if it will just be more of the same as it has been for a decade now. I suppose if No Man's Sky can make a come back, anything is possible. As I said though, Dovetail certainly has their work cut out for them.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  7. arapajoe3

arapajoe3 Active Member

honestly in my personal opinion what hurts the most is that they literally lied to us. Maybe to stay connected and continue shopping, but behind them they knew this was going to happen ... I think they have chosen the worst option. Honestly, if a video game company with a different approach were to make a train simulator at this time, it would surely be successful and you would already see how DGT policies would change ... they would also want us to buy class 20 for them ... I think I will not logically . they lied to us, why weren't they going to do it again? .. a pity ...

8. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I just have to say I am totally hyped for TSW2 and equally gobsmacked by this announcement. I did not expect anything like this....I would have bet my life savings on this being a TSW2021 refresh, but being a totally new game just wasn't something anyone here saw coming.

On paper it all seems fantastic with a clear direction of where this franchise is headed....I am really keen to hear more info on the leadup to the August release date and the Q&A streams.

• Like Like x 6
  9. DTG Protagonist

You're fully entitled to stick to that position, but let me offer an alternative take - not to change your opinion, but to illuminate.

A lie is an untruth told intentionally to deceive. To make you believe something that is contrary to reality.
    The features that did not arrive in TSW weren't mentioned with any dishonesty intended. Zero. The intent was always to deliver everything that was spoken of. As recently as the last few months, this has still been the case. It was at no point intended to mislead anyone.

DTG were guilty of writing cheques they weren't yet sure how to cash. Not of deliberately writing ones that they knew would bounce. (It occurs to me that this language may not actually mean anything to anyone under the age of 30).

Not that it matters. Whether intentionally or not, this has left people feeling short-changed, and that means that whatever we say from here must be supported by action, not vagaries, not nice-sounding statements. Intention is all well and good, but if it cannot be followed-through it is better not to talk about it at all.

• Like Like x 14
  10. Plastic Pal

Wow - what an utterly superb communicator you are. If your approach in these Forums in the last week is in any way reflective of the new general approach at DTG.... then there really is a good a future for TSW and TS1.

I have a funny feeling that we're going to get on famously....! ;-)

Good luck for your stream - and the incredibly large amount of work that you have ahead of you in the coming weeks..... pulling all this feedback together, returning the answers, and dealing with the response that you get in the next phase.....

Good night...! ;-)

• Like Like x 4
  11. Deebz__

Deebz__ Well-Known Member

On the contrary. Transparency with what the company is working on would be a great step forward in my opinion. It's all about how it is presented. Allow me to post the video I've been referencing.

In 2016, when asked if multiplayer was coming to Train Sim World, Matt stated word for word at 6:50:
    "There absolutely will be multiplayer in Train Sim World. Absolutely"

It's clear now that this may have been planned, but clearly was not in the works. It would have been better to word it as such:
    "We have every intention of bringing multiplayer to Train Sim World, however at this time, we do not know when it will be in the game, or if we will ultimately be able to implement it. We do have plans though, and are continuing to work on concepts to bring this mode to life."

Matt did not state an outright lie, but it very clearly comes across as having more of an intention of selling the game than informing people of the true state of the game. It also doesn't look good that Dovetail appears to be trying to hide this video by unlisting it, but I digress.

Personally, I would be all for knowing everything that goes on behind the scenes. If Dovetail were an ethical company with their customers' best interests at heart, this sort of communication would serve to enhance goodwill among those customers in my opinion. Yes, some people would be disappointed if features ultimately get cut, but those tend to be a minority of people who don't understand that things dont always go as planned. Not to mention that if the reasons behind the features being cut are understandable, the majority of people would understand and accept it.

This is only half of the battle though, as I suggested. The other half of the battle is the need for Dovetail to act like they care about their customers. The idea of TSW2 is outright insulting, when it is already very clear that Dovetail cares more about releasing DLC on a monthly schedule, rather than releasing DLC when it is actually ready and of a high level of quality. Yes, I know money makes the world go around, and pushing out buggy/unfinished DLC on a monthly basis seems like a good idea on paper. I think that the execs over there may be pleasantly surprised by how much money they can still make, and perhaps even more, if they focused on quality over quantity though.

Need examples? Check out Euro Truck Sim 2 or American Truck Sim. The company behind these games is well respected by its players, because they stand by their products, release new content only when it is ready and of high quality, and consistently improve their older content. Obviously it works for them, otherwise they would not have sustained their business for as long as they have. ETS2 has 50x the amount of player as TSW, and ATS has 10x the amount of players (at least on PC, according to Steam Charts). These truck sim games are arguably just as niche as train simulators, but the difference is in the quality of the product, and the amount of respect that the players have for the company. I am personally glad to continue buying expansions for these games, whereas I have refused to buy many expansions for TSW in the past, and will continue to do moving forward. You know what the funny thing is though? I like trains more than I like trucks. Go figure.

Another good example is CD Projekt Red. This developer is loved by the gaming community at large because they are well known to treat their customers well, and look at the stunning impact that has had on Cyberpunk 2077's popularity.

Honestly? I'd be shocked if Dovetail did a 180 and became more like one of these developers, with the history they have. It certainly won't be happening for a while now, given that we just had the TSW2 bombshell dropped on us today. Dovetail would certainly have quite the uphill battle in order to rebuild the bridges they have burned over the years. Please, feel free to prove me wrong though.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  12. arapajoe3

arapajoe3 Active Member

You are right, you did not lie, but then for me you were not clear with the information that you were saying about the game or maybe you didn't want.

This is a forum wich means a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
    By the way, I don't know if because of age or why, but the arrogant and attacking way of speaking coming from the staff really surprises me. I think rather that criticism does not get along here but well ... If people were cared for in a store like this, they would never return!
    Because at the end of the day this is the opinions of people who buy your products, do not forget.

I heard many times about the launch of the editor, multiplayer, etc., what I never heard was that it was canceled for TSW. instead you make a "surprise" announcement saying that the TSW update will be another game instead of a game update. Was it a last minute decision? or did you have a long time with the project? I'm just saying that you "promised" things for TSW and nothing more was seen or said about it. and suddenly everything disappeared

• Like Like x 1
  13. SaMa1

SaMa1 Active Member

To work with TSW2 each of the existing rolling stock DLC needs to be edited and tweaked by DTG especially if the UV mapping has not been done properly livery editor in mind, meaning extensive rework to the textures and model. As they are forced to go through every DLC, it might enable some bug fixing as well.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

I read through all the FAQ, which is great by the way. I have a question though, not sure if it's been answered or not. I have quite a lot of TSW DLC attached to TSW 2020. Does all of that DLC have to be downloaded from the internet again with TSW 2 or can I move / copy it over? I suspect it will have to be downloaded again, being a different game... but just thought I'd ask. If so, I'll have to look at making more room on my hard drive and increasing my internet data cap.

Also, do PC players automatically get a discount on TSW 2 seeing as they already have the Heavy Haul DLC? If so, that would be Ok with me seeing as I'm a PC player but it might make some consolers jealous.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

It's also fairly easily solved...

The people who dev and playtest probably go blind on these things. Have a page on this or other forums at final dev time where you've announced the product and put out images and video of what you've done. Let the wolves have at it and you'll be sure to get feedback, positive, negative, constructive and occasionally relevant I'm sure

This happened way back before WSR when they put out pics of the locos and some of the details were wrong. I seem to remember a bar being straight when it should have been curved. Two days later it was fixed, new pics posted and everyone agreed it was right.

I think one thing that gets forgotten in the general internet forum negativity that gets spouted here, is that the sim community is very passionate and forthright in their opinion, and yes that can mean you get a beating whenever you put something out, but look past the tone and you'll see the people really do care about the product. Some care enough to bang on the same drum relentlessly until they get banned, (and come with a partial attitude adjustment) but the reason they do this is because they WANT to love the software and help you guys to meet it's potential.

If you take one thing from the last day on this forum it's that even with all the issues people have had with TSW since it's launch (and each DLC since), people WANT them to work, not just because they've put time, money and effort into buying, learning and driving them, but because it's something people want to do, to enjoy, to relax with and in the end WE ALL LIKE OR LOVE TRAINS

Getting off soap box now :)

• Like Like x 8
  16. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

In general, I'm looking forward to TSW2. Features and routes to be added are long requested from the community and this shows that DTG are listening.

However, this is something I have a gripe with:

TSW with all its DLCs (of which I have bought almost all) is an expensive hobby to keep, even if bought only during sales. With that kind of price range, I expect the products to be updated in the future with new core game features. Knowing that this is under question feels a little discouraging. I'm not saying that existing TSW2020 content is not enjoyable as it is, but it would certainly benefit from new features. I sincerely hope this is something that will nonetheless happen in the future. I would like if DTG gave an honest and upfront answer regarding this.

• Like Like x 2
  17. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Out of interest, how long would you expect dlc on an old game to be supported for? I don’t know one game which has dlc which is supported once a newer game has been released.

• Like Like x 4
  18. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

As long as it takes to fix all the bugs and add vital simulation features, such as wheel slip. Also, calling it a new game kind of looks like DTG just throwing in the towel about supporting old content. I hope this isn't the case though.

• Like Like x 1
  19. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I’d be very surprised if TSW 2020 gets any updates or fixes once the BR Class 20 is released and any bug fixes have been addressed for that loco.

• Like Like x 2
  20. HamioSamio098

HamioSamio098 Well-Known Member

A follow up to you question Mr T. I was thinking that if you had bought the founders edition on Xbox then at least a small discount could be given.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Looking through this thread it seems that a reasonable summation of DTG's contributions to this thread following the TSW2 announcement would be "The answer will mostly be no, now what's the question?" and DTG have often been economical with the truth but now claim to have had the business equivalent of St. Paul's conversion on the road to Damascus.

• Like Like x 1
  22. andoarmd

andoarmd Active Member

• Like Like x 3
  23. DTG Protagonist

I've been through the last few pages of this thread to gather questions for the Q&A. I'll leave it open as the conversation is broader-reaching than questions alone.

(This is me posting that "yes, I have checked this thread for questions.")

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  24. oscarvirgoe

oscarvirgoe Member

Let's just look at the new game from a financial standpoint. I understand poeple who are complaining about having to pay for a new game, but we are at least getting two new routes + 3 if you are a console user. 2 new routes would normally cost 50 pounds, but in addition to that, all the new features. Assuming the game will be priced at around the 50 pound mark, it could actullay be a good deal for us, as at minimum we pay what we normally do, but on top of that, numerous new features, on top of which an extra route for console users. This is all assuming the game won't be extremley expensive.

• Like Like x 5
  25. Plastic Pal

*cough* *cough*.... um.... I think you meant to use the number "15" and the word "fifteen".... and not "50" and "fifty"..... ;-)

More seriously - this release will probably come out at around the £25 mark (like TSW 2020), or maybe a bit more if there is another route to be added in a "bigger" pack. They could consider making it £20... as an introductory bone-throwing gesture... £15 would be really welcomed, given that PC users will consider the release as only including two new lightweight "passenger-only" routes......

Please note that the three routes comprise:

- a very short metro-only route (no freight), way shorter than LIRR and RT
    - a quick high speed passenger route (no freight...?)
    - a revised freight only route (no passenger?)

So this appears to be quite a "minimal" launch package... by historical standards (as GWE & NEC, NTP & MSB were all mixed traffic).... So I suspect that the TSW 2 DLC package, as proposed, will have limited appeal due to the limited scope (although I personally find it all very appealing, and a great addition to the curated variety in TSW....).

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

I reckon DTG got into a muddle regarding DLC and routes.... They tried there best, but my 33, and 52 are now obsolete which is a shame....

Better to discard it now that to have folks wandering what will be next for them I suppose....

• Like Like x 2
  27. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

There not obsolete did you read the article you're add ons will be in tsw 2

• Like Like x 2
  28. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

TSW2 is the future. I'm happier with that than I was with another yearly version of a game that's yet to inspire me.

Looking forward to The Bakerloo line.

• Like Like x 2
  29. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

Do you think TSW2 will actually develop any DLC From TSW2020? Do you actually think any of it will be reused?

• Like Like x 1
  30. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

re-used = yes

improved = no

so the stock we have now will always drive like it currently does, it wont gain anything from the new adhesion physics sadly....my poor HST.

• Like Like x 1
  31. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

I don't mean to be rude but Im not really hurt about them not fixing any bugs & sam/Protagonist said he made a thread about glitches & bug's in TSW

• Like Like x 2
  32. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yes. I fully expect some locos to be reused in TSW2 releases. When they are reused, they may come with improvements. As for route DLC, they have been filling up with loco DLC recently to ‘complete’ them before the move over to TSW2. The ones that have not had any new loco content recently were probably never going to get any new stuff anyway, routes like GWE and NTP being in as finished a state as was probable.

• Like Like x 2
  33. NiTE

NiTE New Member

The thing that strikes me as somewhat incongruous about this is that all the TSW1 content will apparently work with TSW2, so to me it seems pretty clear that TSW2 could have been done as an upgrade rather than a new product, and the choice not to do so is a commercial one not a technical one.

• Like Like x 3
  34. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

Im still going to play tsw2 because of the features & the new routes & csx hh being on console.I don't really care if there are still bug's I just want to play the game in peace

• Like Like x 2
  35. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

You've got to laugh when people say things like "I don't mean to be rude"....

Bit like the old "with no disrespect" line....

• Like Like x 2
  36. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

The featureset in TSW2 should be far more complete and wider reaching than the little updates we've had in 2019, 2020 etc. If they'd just made it another step upgrade and those new features were not back-compatible with all of the existing DLC - as they won't be - there would have been ongoing complaints, like there is about Journeys and whatnot not being added to the earliest routes.

This is a great opportunity to draw a line under everything that's gone before, hopefully raise the bar for all new content and start fresh. Absolutely seems like the right choice to me. You should be looking at the carry-over of old DLC as a bonus, so you can continue playing those routes within the same game framework as any new content, without any expectation of them getting new features.

On a side note, I'm also hoping they just revert to version numbers and quit with the year titling altogether, which seems a bit redundant in a title where none of the routes are really present day!

Please can you provide a link to the dolphin game, sounds awesome! :)

• Like Like x 4
  37. LTEcactus

LTEcactus Active Member

But it's not, they're identical games, except that TSW2 has better looking clouds and some wheelslip, plus some fuddly UI gimmicks to make it look new, like a useless livery editor that most people won't use.
    Fundamentally the screenshots from TSW2 look identical to TSW2020.

I hope TSW2 isn't expensive and the wheelslip physics and clouds work on TSW2020 DLC, or else it kinda defeats the point in buying TSW2. Else it's like "look at all these new features, but they don't work on the routes/trains you actually want to play"

• Like Like x 3
  38. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

I mean I wasn't trying to offend anyone the forums are very toxic already

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  39. ARuscoe

I think you need to check your facts. From what I understand TSW2 is on a newer UE engine to TSW1 therefore the capability is different. Not same game in the same way that PS3 stuff might work on a PS4 because of backwards compatibility, even though the OS is different

• Like Like x 4
  40. Plastic Pal

I foresee that there will be a serious issue with this in the near future..... say when a new UK route is launched.... and it includes another Class 66..... As soon as that happens, many people will say one or more of the following:

- hey, I have already purchased the Class twice... on GWE and East Coastway, why am I being made to buy it again...?
    - hey.... why can't this new Class 66 work on my GWE and ECR routes, with wheelslip and adhesion...?
    - hey, I designed a livery for my new Class 66, why can't I apply to it to my Class 66 on GWE...?

So the original asset from TSW could get re-used by DTG to create a new asset for TSW 2... but maybe not re-purposed from TSW by the player for use in TSW 2..... Maybe...

I obviously don't know exactly how it will work, or how these issues will be addressed.... but somebody should start thinking about it. A good start would be to at least make sure that the Class 33, Class 52, Class 37, etc. are given some sort of ability to run on GWE, NTP and TVL on TSW (original version).... or the idea of purchasing a single loco DLC in future will look deeply unattractive....

• Like Like x 3
  41. Plastic Pal

Your general point is correct... but... just for interest............I'd just like to point out that there is generally speaking no backwards compatibility from PS4 back to PS3.

Sony did initially make some PS4s that included the physical architecture of the PS3 for dual-running.... but they were incredibly expensive to build and unreliable, so they shelved that idea very very quickly. Any PS3 software that runs on PS4 has been completely reprogrammed to run on PS4 - so there are very few such titles - and often these also need to have renewal of the licensing because of re-purposing off-emulation... it gets horrendously complex very quickly.... and unless DTG have very carefully worded their licensing agreements.... then TSW vs TSW 2 licensing issues could also arise.....

• Like Like x 1
  42. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

Try running with ATC and ACES. Pure trash.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I'd argue console players should automatically get a discount on TSW2 seeing as how we've already paid full price for a game that's been missing HH the whole time, and how we don't get any pre-order discounts....

Weirdly enough considering the announcement of TSW2 and its new features- i actually experienced wheelslip in TSW for the first time last night. CL37 on TVL doing one of the loaded coil steel runs- accidentally throttled up too quickly from a stop, and i heard a weird noise, noticed the WS indicator came on in-cab and on the HUD. Only lasted for a few seconds, but still...

It IS there, very, very, very rarely lol

• Like Like x 3
  44. LTEcactus

LTEcactus Active Member

No they're both Unreal engine 4, TSW 1 has a slightly older version but it's basically the same.
    It's the same as installing an update to Windows 10, it's still Windows 10, and still compatible to everything else.

If it used UE5 that's another matter entirely

• Like Like x 3
  45. Plastic Pal

It's a multi-player feature in one of the Fish & Sim World games - basically, you train your dolphins to steal all the fish that the other players are fishing for. You also have to train them to avoid being netted by the tuna-trawlers in the Deep Sea DLC.

When you complete Mastery levels, the dolphins will jump in the air and perform 540 degree somersaults with reverse twist, and whistle the tune to Ally McBeal. Aaah... Vonda Shepard... and her dulcet tones....

• Like Like x 2
  46. Plastic Pal

This was one of those incredibly rare occasions when something done by DTG crashed, but the fact that it crashed was actually a sign of success..... ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  47. ARuscoe

Windows 10 OS builds can have vastly different abilities and requirements, and even within UE versions there are differences, for instance the version amended for TSW1 had variable friction physics turned off by UE themselves, nothing DTG could do about that, but that did mean that they couldn't do variable physics for something like loading a wagon. They had to go back to the TSx way of doing it where you had two different assets, loaded and unloaded. Want a wagon 75% full, well that's a different asset, thank you

So given the change in engine, even if it's a minor revision within UE that they've had to adapt for simugraph etc for their purposes, I am happy to say "it's a different engine version" and hopefully one which enables better adaption and functionality in game. Back to friction coefficient, you want something which wheel slips? Well with variable friction physics it's much easier to implement because you can set the friction variables of each wagon at a certain load weight, set the friction max of the loco wheels under differing rail conditions and there ya go, a class 31 goes from stable to an ice skater under half throttle depending on the load it's hauling.

• Like Like x 3
  48. LTEcactus

LTEcactus Active Member

Why is that my problem? DTG have made a complete fudge of all the coding, so now I have to buy TSW all over again to fix basic bugs.
    How is that right? DTG shouldn't need to rebuild the whole of TSW for a minor UE update, if that's the case then something is fundametally wrong with their programming.
    Then all the DLC I've bought becomes useless because none of the fundamental physics will ever be fixed.
    DTG promised when the TSW was announced that this would be the next train simulator, we would have the editor, accurate physics etc.
    I just feel like I've wasted 3 years.

• Like Like x 4
  49. ARuscoe

UE made a complete fudge of the coding, removing something which was supposed to be a major feature of the game
    DTG have made a lot of other fundamental mistakes in their concept, but this isn't one of them. The problem with basing your code on someone else's platform is they can remove the platform...

Yes they should. Even minor updates of a platform can break code, and code issues have a problem of cascading.

That's your choice. I'm sure all those people who spent 25 years building XLS spreadsheets felt betrayed when microsoft moves to XML and XLSX based formats. But software either progresses or it stagnates. If the UE version DTG picked was a loser (which it was) better they move on and do something better than flogging a dead horse

• Like Like x 4
  50. Plastic Pal

But.... but.... but.... surely you have done other things in the last three years.... other than play TSW.... right...?

Like read a book, watch a film, visit a castle.... etc....?

(I nearly added "go to work"... but the idea of "going to work" makes me feel..... well.... I've just eaten a kebab... and my carpet is fairly new.... so thinking about "work" isn't the best plan for me, or my carpet....... LOL...! )

• Like Like x 2