Am I The Only One Who’s Not Interested In Steam Engines?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jamiebrannan13, Jun 10, 2020.

1. jamiebrannan13

jamiebrannan13 Member

Says it all in the title really.

I get that steam engines are where it all began, but I’m it even slightly interested in driving one on a route in TSW. Great that dovetail are looking at it, and I’m sure there’s demand for it though, not a negative towards dovetail or the game at all!

Just a personal preference more than anything, but there’s so many other things I’d love to see on the game above steam!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  2. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

That's not so unusual. It's more that, right now, the absence of steam locomotives in what is intended to be an all-encompassing rail simulator doesn't quite sit right. It's less that 100% of players want it, we know there are plenty that don't... but there are plenty that do and it's a missing piece from the puzzle.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jamiebrannan13

jamiebrannan13 Member

Not going to lie I’d more than likely buy the DLC anyway I just love the fact that there’s a simulator on console, although steam is at the bottom of my list I can fully understand it’s at the top of other.....

4. georgedayy7

georgedayy7 Member

At this moment I’d prefer a BR electric (preferably a 86)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Oo7 BELL 7oO

Oo7 BELL 7oO Active Member

I might want to see Steamers but I have a lot more things that I want to see before steam but it would be quite cool. (EDIT: Contradictory)

• Like Like x 1
  6. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

Its important to remember that a lot of people may never have experienced steam first hand.... I'm 43 so I've only ever experienced it in a heritage setting....

A simulator has a lot opportunity to offer something informative and educational.... I've actually learned loads of things from TSW....

• Like Like x 1
  7. jamiebrannan13

jamiebrannan13 Member

Me too, a class 43 with a Valenta engine would be amazing!! But yeah same here I’ve learnt a lot from this game. Whatever dovetail device to release I’ll more than likely buy anyway just for the experience

• Like Like x 2
  8. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

I'm not so crazy about steam locomotives either.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jamiebrannan13

jamiebrannan13 Member

what you said was meant to be how I said it lol I like the idea, but it’s bottom in my wish list

10. jamiebrannan13

jamiebrannan13 Member

K
    Personal opinion but there’s so many trains ahead of steam I’d rather see, 158s, 142s, class 91s, 390s etc etc

• Like Like x 2
  11. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

I live (and grew up) in Bristol, so the noise of Valenta engines from Temple Meads and St Phillips marsh are the reason why my hearing is probably not quite as it should be these days....

• Like Like x 1
  12. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

I'm not to fuss I think it would be a bit challenging on controller unless they allow mouse keyboard support on xbox that would be cool

13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Steam trains are great to watch but very difficult to drive well. Simplified controls would help that but I’d like to see them driven properly, and that would probably not happen with me at the controls. AI trains don’t currently drive with anything close to real physics, so unless steam trains were to drive around realistically, I’d rather not see them in the game. I could be persuaded depending on what does get released but at the moment I’m not bothered by their absence.

• Like Like x 1
  14. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

Same story for me; I like them but im not interested in it. I don't get it why people wan't steam engines, steam engines is a different experience. You cannot play it alone, you are not shoving coal and driving at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

If there was one route that could use any kind of steamengine it's west summerset.DTG would have nothing to lose by trying one out on that route.And seeing if liked or not.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bakerloo

Bakerloo Member

I like steam, however I'm far more interested in diesel and electric trains

• Like Like x 2
  17. jamiebrannan13

jamiebrannan13 Member

same here for me, my personal preference is passenger trains rather than freight, but everyone is different

18. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

I know one thing for sure: When a steamer releases, its then one of the lest selling DLC's.

19. Oo7 BELL 7oO

Oo7 BELL 7oO Active Member

Good list of trains. Dovetail needs to add these.

20. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

Steam trains are clearly an important feature, and you would expect WSR to have had them!
    However if they are genuinely going to bring in wheel slip and driving performance as of August great. However I do find that slightly annoying as the only way to keep to time is to go full throttle out of the stations...or at least doing that allows me the full 30 seconds at the stations to check twitter/facebook on my phone...
    To me the environment that you are in is more key? So driving the German lines through the trees or rattling past the old mills of NTP.
    That's why I keep suggesting the Cornwall section of the GWML as there are great views and plenty of pretty trees, mine stacks and gradients to get through. Hey ho. Kernow bis vyken.
    Getting back to my point, steam trains are important if part of the setting. Other than WSR there is no need for them?
    Give us an interesting challenge, with interesting landscapes, keep the game stimulating as well as simulating and surely we will play?

D

• Like Like x 2