The Öresund Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by andoarmd, Jun 10, 2020.

1. andoarmd

andoarmd Active Member

The Öresund line between Sweden and Denmark

After the teaser was posted by DTG on Facebook and Instagram many of us speculated in if it could be the first Scandinavian route being made for TSW, due to the colours represented in the picture resembled the ones on the Swedish and Danish flags. This, however, as most of us know, was not the case as they represented the colours of CSX, ICE3 and the 1972 Stock.

In any case, the speculations of it being a Scandinavian route excited some people as many of us seemed to want the route across the Öresund bridge between Sweden and Denmark. Therefore I am going to make a post here explaining a bit more about the route and what to expect.

First of all, I know the community in Scandinavia isn't the largest but it exists with some very talented and driven people. For example, we've got all the railway lines in Zeeland (Denmark) including the Öresund bridge to Malmö (Sweden) in TS2020. We've also got the X2000 high-speed train and the Rc-locomotive to name some rolling stock (which I must add both look and function amazing). Seeing the excitement in people after others speculated in this being a route across the Öresund bridge shows that demand for this route exists even outside of Scandinavia due to this being such an iconic and spectacular route. Also, this is a route with great opportunities for TSW making it possible both to run regional services in Sweden and Denmark, airport shuttles to Kastrup airport, freight services across the Öresund bridge and high-speed services between Sweden and Denmark. There's also the possibility to add more DLC to this route, for example, the X2000 high-speed tilting train that runs express services between Stockholm and Copenhagen.

The route:

Lernacken_061229.jpg
    The Öresund bridge, where trains cross at a speed of 200 km/h (125 mph). The journey between Sweden and Denmark takes about five minutes where about three minutes are spent crossing the bridge.

[​IMG]
    The Öresund bridge and the man-made island of Peberholm where the railway goes underground to avoid nearby flights arriving into Kastrup airport from colliding with the bridge.

ddd.png
    Route map of the Öresund line (and the Southern mainline between Malmö and Lund)

Stations along the route:

[​IMG]
    Lund Central station

[​IMG]
    Malmö Central station (Lower level)

[​IMG]
    Malmö Triangeln (City centre)

[​IMG]
    Malmö Hyllie

[​IMG]
    Copenhagen Airport Kastrup

[​IMG]
    Örestad station

[​IMG]
    Copenhagen Central station

Information and background about the route:

When Skåne and Zealand were linked to the Öresund connection in 2000, an old contact was resumed. Before the ice age, Scandinavia cooled down 8,000 years ago, Sweden and Denmark were linked, but the movements of the landmasses under the heavy ice separated the two countries.

Thoughts of uniting Skåne and Zealand through a bridge or tunnel existed already during the 19th century, but only towards the end of the 20th century did the design take off. In 1991, the Swedish and Danish state agreed to build a link between Malmö and Copenhagen and the Öresund Bridge consortium was formed. A few years of intensive investigations and law examinations followed, among other things, such tiring struggles over environmental issues that the then Environment Minister Olof Johansson resigned in protest. (Source: jarnvag.net)

Both high-speed and regional services operates between Lund and Malmö Hyllie/Malmö Svågertorp (X61 Skånetrafiken) and between Copenhagen H and Copenhagen Airport (Kastrup) (DSB IC3). Across the Öresund bridge only high-speed and freight services operate (Öresundståg, SJ X2000, Deutche Bahn etc.)

Rolling stock on the Öresund line:

X31K (Öresundståg)

extET_4314Lund190802stor (1).jpg
    extFT_4709_Hassleholm180724.jpg
    X31K (Öresundståg/Öresund-train), commonly used between Lund and Copenhagen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Interior of X31K

"For the traffic Malmö-Copenhagen over the Öresund Bridge, SJ and DSB ordered a new motor car type in the late 1990s. Since both contact line voltage and security systems differ between Sweden and Denmark, the trains received dual-voltage operation and both Swedish and Danish ATC (Automatic Train Control, safety system).

Manufacturers became Adtranz (now Bombardier) and the trains were initially manufactured at the company's factories in Västerås (electrical equipment) and Kalmar (wagon baskets).

Today, the Öresund train is an important part of train traffic in southern Sweden and eastern Denmark." (Source: jarnvag.net)

X61 Skånetrafiken regional train

[​IMG]
    X61 Regional train, operated between Lund and Malmö Hyllie/Malmö Svågertorp

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Interior of X61

Resources:

For cab ride (POV) between Malmö and Copenhagen I recommend this video on YouTube:

Cab ride (POV) between Lund and Malmö:

Don't be afraid to ask questions here, I'll try to answer as many as I can. I've been many times on this route and know a lot about it so please just ask if there is something you want to know more about!

Kind regards, Adam

[/SIZE]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 35
  2. teilekind

teilekind Member

awesome route, i would love to see this one in tsw at some point

• Like Like x 6
  3. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I would love to see this route in TSW!!!
    (P.S. My name is Adam too!)

• Like Like x 4
  4. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Great route would be a great add to TSW2

• Like Like x 4
  5. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

This route suggestion is quite frankly one of the best things to come out of the pre-announcement hype for TSW 2. I would very much like to see this route, in either/both TS1 and TSW.

Thank you for consolidating the proposal in this thread.... Copenhagen station looks amazing. Maybe this is one we will see in a couple of years from now.... *crosses fingers*

• Like Like x 3
  6. andoarmd

andoarmd Active Member

The route is available from Team-Trainsim for TS2020 (together with all other routes on Zeeland)
    You'll need to register first but no additional content is required (apart from the community and asset pack)
    http://www.team-trainsim.dk/index.php/da/download/download/10-ts-danske-ruter/275-sjaelland-v-1-0

The Öresund train is available to purchase on GBE:
    https://shop.strato.de/epages/64554512.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64554512/Products/RM00100

And the X2000 (freeware) is available here:
    https://trainsimulator.no/addoncatalogue/x2000-2/

*EDIT* Must add aswell that the Southern mainline (Södra stambanan) from Stockholm to Malmö is WIP at the moment together with the X61 train. They will be available eventually for TS2020

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Well, if it appears on Steam, then I would probably go for it. Apart from anything else - the main website for the route isn't even behind HTTPS, so there is no way I would even visit that website, let alone register details on it. Not a chance. Sorry - but they've got to get the basics right.

• Like Like x 2
  8. andoarmd

andoarmd Active Member

Yep, this one would suit perfectly in TSW I do believe. The tunnels, the signals, the beautiful Swedish landscape, the trains... I'm really looking forward to seeing a release of this one. Please DTG, please! This is a great route with so many great opportunities!

- Gradient change across the bridge and throughout the route
    - Advanced in-cab and traditional signalling
    - Many different services; freight, regional passenger, express passenger stopping at different stations
    - Going across a bridge, underground and overground (variety in landscape)
    - Changing signalling (Peberholm), voltage (Peberholm), ATC, and even changing the side of the track you travel on (left to right in Malmö)
    - A well known spectacular route across Europe's longest bridge (which will attract people outside of Scandinavia), an engineering masterpiece
    - Construction work going on between Malmö and Lund, adds an aspect of challenge and opportunities when it comes to scenarios
    - Going through two countries in a fairly short time, stopping at three central stations
    - Both Danish and Swedish signalling
    - A demanding schedule between Copenhagen and Malmö due to the number of trains running there

This route does tick many boxes and would, therefore, be great for TSW. Please do consider building this one DTG!

• Like Like x 4
  9. mr.aln663

mr.aln663 Member

I would really like to see this route on TSW, it is really complete as a railway:
    - it's a line that crosses two countries, with a change of power supply and safety systems.
    - it's a route that alternates between suburban and urban landscapes with almost metropolitan sections underground and a link to an airport, plus the fact that it crosses the Oresund Strait
    - the line is criss-crossed by excellent regional services, which are not monotonous because each run has different stops and terminals

I really hope that this scenario can be implemented on TSW2.

10. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

I was "Stuck" on that bridge in a car three years ago...it was -10 blowing a gale and there had been a car accident up ahead. I spent two hours sitting there...it wasnt "fun" but taking the train across was!

I do like the bridge :) Looking at it and going over it (in a car and train!)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Being Half Danish, I would love this route. Any Danish Route would get my vote. Hopefully there would be freight too!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

wow never heard of this route but just for the scenic value is thumbs up for me and thanks for getting those photos of everything was a fun read

• Like Like x 1
  13. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

I would of course recommend that everyone watches the original danish/swedish nordic noir production of "The Bridge" as the trains and the bridge feature rather heavily!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rail Runner

Yes DSB created the EG Class locomotive especially for that purpose: the Great Belt. It looks like a DB Class 185 on Steroids; it’s a Co-Co version and much much much more powerful! They would be great for this route because it was what they were primarily built for.
    [​IMG]

15. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

The Öresund Bridge is not the Great Belt Bridge, the EGs were built for the latter. An EG is also more a larger 152, as it is a EuroSprinter not a TRAXX.

16. Rail Runner

Ah I’m sorry! My Danish isn’t as great as is was haha. I might have mistranslated haha.

17. Lord Snabel

Lord Snabel New Member

Great route suggestion, would love to see a Danish/Swedish route.

• Like Like x 1
  18. migmadmarine

migmadmarine Member

That X31K is a strange looking unit, looks like it is wearing puffy jacket with a hood. I'd be down for this suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lord Snabel

Lord Snabel New Member

Also called in Danish Gumminæserne ( The rubber noses )

• Like Like x 1
  20. nicolas.magnussen

nicolas.magnussen New Member

The Øresund line would indeed be a wonderful route satisfying both Danish and Swedish players. Adding a freight operator on this line (Hectorrail for example) could also be fun

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  21. marktwatney

marktwatney New Member

I have fantasised about this route a lot, since I live along this route.

If we are going to have the X2000 serving this line, you must include Hässleholm and/or Helsingborg to be able to have a chance to witness the tilting action of the wagons, plus drive up to 200+kmh. The line between Malmö and Lund is too straight and short to be able to test that (before and after the construction work), and with the ongoing renovations, the speeds are restricted to 100 kmh between Malmö and Lund.

Like the speed potential matters anyways - with the amount of traffic on just two tracks, expect a lot of "drive 40" signals.

22. marktwatney

marktwatney New Member

Give me Örtofta sugar processing factory yard or give me death

23. Rail Runner

I can’t remember if the X2000s run to København. If they do, I’m not sure on where they stop on their route back to Sweden. I am certain I’ve seen them whilst passing through København H.
    Anyone have an idea on their route?

24. wgrn#6154

wgrn#6154 Member

25. marktwatney

marktwatney New Member

They drive from Copenhagen Central, from track 26, then stops at Kastrup Airport, Malmö C (through the Citytunnel, but in special occasions through Rosengård), Lund, then Hässleholm, then so on and so forth till they arrive in Stockholm.

26. Rail Runner

Yes. I’m back in Denmark at the moment and saw one stop at Kastrup whilst I waited for my train to Aalborg.
    Amazing machines.
    Thanks for letting me know :)

27. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Great idea the tutorial level should be at Malmo to Copenhagen Airport section because you must deal with voltage change 15kv 16/2/3hz Sweden Norway (Still use the pre 1995 16/2/3hz supply unlike German route 15kv 16.7hz) to 25kv 50hz Denmark. The manual for the route will need to warn players not use ATC ZUB123 and Sifa at the same time

• Like Like x 1
  28. Rail Runner

It makes sense to add it to TSW2. Tick so many boxes;
    The change over of voltage, two countries in one route, a Scandinavian route, new signalling systems, new infrastructure, famous infrastructure and so much potential with the trains they could add.

I think the route from Malmö to København or Køge Nord would be absolutely fantastic!

29. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I agree but for DTG if they want to do international routes they're going to do that as Mannheim-Appenweier/Offenburg-Strasbourg Railway. Reason is that they're familiar with KVB VACMA 25kv 50hz 1.45m pantographs carbon strip SNCF Infra PZB LZB Sifa 15kv 16.7hz Deutsche Bahn Netze 1.95m pantographs. That is located at Kehl.