Let's See Who's Happy And Who Isn't!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by longo239, Jun 14, 2020.

?
  1. Console: Happy

2. Console: Disappointed

3. Both (Console & PC): Happy

4. Both (Console & PC): Disappointed

5. PC: Happy

6. PC: Disappointed

7. Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Time for another of my informative polls.

Firstly let me apologise for putting it in the PC section but there's no generic TSW forum, and as I'm a PC user I posted here.

There's been a lot of discussion about the release of TSW 2 since the announcement, both good and bad. So, I got curious and wondered just who is it that's happy or disappointed about the news so far.

One vote per person and you can change your vote as further announcements are made should you wish.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  2. jagay

jagay Member

My feelings are mixed, as detailed in another post, but broadly speaking I'm happy. Why? Because I want the best possible train simulation game, and I'm not unwilling to spend money so people and make it for me. I paid for TSW 2 years ago, I don't expect new versions to be free. I do think the communication strategy could have been better however.

Happy.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

If they had said, " There won't be a free upgrade to TSW2021 this year. We have changed the engine and it's taken a long time and cost us a lot of money so we are going to ask you to pay £25. There are new features and we'll throw in a couple of routes and of course all the dlcs you already own will benefit from the new features, will be fully supported and will receive further development going forward." If that was the deal I would be happy. I don't mind paying, it's the abandonment of the £100+ of content which I have bought in the last 12 months which is disappointing. Perhaps they ran out of time. They seem very deadline led. Maybe in the end it was easier to ditch the original content rather than spend the time making it work. They could also then wash their hands of any outstanding issues. I love TSW, I've done little else with my spare time over the last year, I'm not angry, just sad and disappointed.

• Like Like x 11
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t know how to answer your poll. I’m happy about TSW2 as a entity, and its potential, but not happy about the transition and the support ending for TSW which comes with the swap. Maybe add a mixed feelings option to the poll?

• Like Like x 4
  5. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

6. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

• Livery editor - no sharing lessens this feature considerably
    • Adhesion - No dynamic weather so again this feature is far less compelling than it could have been
    • Preserved Collection - no compatibility with new TSW2 features .. so what really is the point of it
    • Excited for ICE
    So yeah really for what is confirmed as new for TSW2 ... disappointing.

I still however am hopeful that TSW2 proves to be what DTG needed to get it right this time... and I wont make up my mind 100% until the end of all the QA sessions and the road map is out in the wild. So again disappointed but optimistic.

• Like Like x 2
  7. longo239

Listening to what's been said, and as it was a minor alteration, rather than requiring a whole new poll that would have made it difficult to port across any previously cast votes. I have added the option for the undecided amongst us.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Like Stujoy I am also not really sure how to truly answer the poll so I selected PC Disappointed. I am happy with TSW there are some minor issues but overall they do not completely make the simulation unplayable. The making and moving onto TSW2 to bring the game forward I am looking forward to. What saddens me is the existing content is labelled as Preserved Content or as they in a store sales "AS IS" and that there will be NO updates or bug fixes to this content after Aug 6.

Hopefully with what they are doing will wow me and I will not feel as disappointed in what they have done.

• Like Like x 2
  9. longo239

That's why I set the poll so votes can be changed and we can take snapshots at certain times to see if or how attitudes shift after more details are made available.

10. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

The next few streams are going to have be mind blowing for me to change my answer as in something we never thought of having in game that they did.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Voted undecided until we see more of TSW2.
    tbh the price is reasonable (2 routes for the price of 1 + other features), so happy about that....but also a bit miffed about TSW1 content being treated as EOL

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  12. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

I may have sounded all "happy" earlier, and originally, that's what I put... but I think I'm gonna leave it at "undecided" for now

To be clear, I'm still gonna buy it on release, just not... exactly with much enthusiasm about its likely future

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  13. longo239

Snapshot, Monday morning and before any further announcements which may or may not be made this week:

71 votes cast
    14.1% - Undecided
    43.7% - Disappointed across all platforms
    42.2% - Happy across all platforms

Thought it might be interesting to see how or if opinions change.

14. thesuperpuffin

thesuperpuffin Member

In my opinion, they are releasing a new base game with 3 new routes like they normally do. There are updated features, which are exciting but nothing to get worked up about. However, this new game is a building block for future developments (steam, multiplayer). I think I am going to get, although the fact that it releases a week before my birthday might have something to do with that!

15. steven_glaves

steven_glaves New Member

I'm very happy. Things always move forward and we'll still be able to play our current routes as they are.

16. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Being relatively new to TSW 2020, I’m very disappointed that in less than 10-weeks it’s all over. No bug fixes. No updates. No new content. No existing routes being enhanced/expanded. Sigh. Cry.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Could not have put in better, more than happy to pay for TSW2 especially the new routes, but as you say it the abandonment of the existing DLC that's my issue and why I won't be buying the game. In my case it's probably £300 plus I've spent on content that I fully expected to be able to use in suitable newer routes as they became available

• Like Like x 5
  18. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

This is exactly how I feel too. In the long run it'll cost them sales, as people will be pickier with what they purchase.

I've made some spontaneous purchases in the past (the M3 for starters which I regret as it's a buggy mess), and I won't be doing that in the future. My purchases will be the things that really interest me as opposed to things that slightly interest me.

If they'd upgraded the past content, I'd have purchased the WSR, 33 and 52 so that I could run the stock on NTP or TVL. But that's £40 worth of content they've lost from me straight away.

• Like Like x 6
  19. longo239

Neither of the two routes are of interest to me and I already have CSX:HH, so why would I want to buy it again just for a couple more scenarios that most probably won't work.

So it has saved me 24.99 to spend on TS1 stuff in the Steam sale. I'll spend it at Steam or 3rd party sellers because I think DTG have had enough of my money for the time being.

I know all the fan boys will come out and say they need investment to develop. For the time being, they can develop on your money, I'll do something more useful with mine and revisit it at some point if they improve what they're putting out.

• Like Like x 3
  20. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

While I don't always agree with your deliberately obtuse commentary on here ;) I would say your well within your right and more importantly have a valid reason for not wanting to spend money on TSW2. Fanboys should not be claiming you should spend your money to support development its not a Kickstarter at the end of the day and your not a investor. Your point is 100% fair your not really into the high speed German route and even more valid we all already own CSX so its really of zero value to the PC players.

For me I love German content and have no issues spending money on TSW2 considering the hours I will most likely get out of it, however the fact that I have $100s spent on DLC ( all German and UK DLC) for TSW that I was expecting to be able to use on more routes down the line its hard sell, the persevered collection is a joke at best and DTG has no really reason not to bring these DLCs up to compatibility with the current version of the game other than simply not wanting to invest the development time.
    The argument off development costs is not a simple one either with a sizable section of the community not happy about all this and considering the niche install base one could argue the cost of dev on upgrading existing DLC would be a worthy investment to ensure conversion or at the very least increase the chances of the player base converting to TSW2.

As it stand the roadmap better show a glimpse of something really promising otherwise like you longo239 I will putting that money into TS2020.

• Like Like x 7
  21. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

So far we've only had the negative impact of the change.
    We need to wait and see what advantages it will bring.
    Other than a few vague items there is little that we do know that's positive.
    Sky, liveries and scenario editor.

The poll would be better if we wait until we have a clearer picture.

• Like Like x 1
  22. LucasLCC

To be honest, if there was more good things they'd probably be shouting from the rooftops with it.

• Like Like x 3
  23. longo239

Even the positives have come with an element of disappointment to them, no sharing of liveries or scenarios.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I own almost all DLCs for TSW and it is really bad to see them thrown to the side, the move seems irrational to me. If they were supported, older players would be more willing to spend on new content, new players would be more interested in the old content because they would be able to combine it with the TSW2. In a poll, I've made 75-80 % of people were willing to wait and pay more for TSW2 if it made the old things work with the new ones. I have seen so many ICE3s run between Dortmund and Bochum and now I won't be able to do it myself. Neither will I be able to take Class 52 for a more high-speed spin (without modding). I've heard the current CEO of DTG used to work for EA, which would explain this approach, but even EA starts to realise this doesn't work. Take care of your community, listen to them and in the end... it will get you more money. Simple.

• Like Like x 6
  25. LucasLCC

Supporting old content has two advantages:

- It keeps existing customers happy. They don't feel like they've been ripped off.
    - It increases sales from new customers. Customers that will purchase TSW 2 for the first time and will be thirsty for more. Selling old content would be a much harder sell.

• Like Like x 8
  26. Trooper117

Trooper117 Active Member

I've voted undecided... I want to know exactly in what form and if everything and I mean everything I have bought for TSW will be ported over to the new game.

• Like Like x 1
  27. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

I am sure DTG did not make the decision lightly to not update all existing rolling stock especially considering they have spent considerable time & money them selves over the years building out the collection of rolling stock currently in TSW. Its another reason why I find it hard to rationalize the decision around the "preserved collection" There is part of me that really just wants TSW2 to blow us out of the water and we can all wipe our salty tears aside, however the other part of me feels they probably dropped plans to uplift existing DLC due time/budget constraints due to what was probably rather costly development undertaking to update the engine version within 10 months. (pure speculation)

Another interesting one is that TSW2 will come with presumably a remade Talent2, so i am interested to see if its a total rebuild or perhaps an example of them updating the existing one, After all thank to CSX been included we know there more than willing to do so. Maybe just maybe we will see locos from TSW migrate over to TSW2 with time the question is at what cost.

28. Trooper117

Trooper117 Active Member

If they 'have' updated the existing one, I would hope they would do the same for all the other content that people have bought!
    (I'm being extremely optimistic)...

29. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well seeing the "remastered" Heavy Haul route and the Talent2, it wouldn't suprise me if after a while they started remastering the old TSW routes and rerelease them for TSW2 again. It would be a bit scummy, but as long as they would come with actual improvements, maybe even I would be into them.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

The Talent2 in TSW2 should be a four-car version with DB Regio livery, so it is a somewhat new model (the car are a bit different inside). I wouldn't mind the "old" rolling stock being drip-fed in TSW2, but it is something I have bought already, don't make me pay for these again with new routes like they were never a thing before.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The solution is simple. Have a team working on the existing content, upgrading to the new engine/functionality, expand/enhance the routes, expand/enhance the rolling stock.

For example, East Coastway.
    • Upgrade it.
    • Expand it to Hastings/Ore.
    • Add the Class 171 Turbostar, Class 313, Class 375 and Class 442 (to the relevant sections).
    • Sell the revised DLC pack for £20-£25.
    Updated & New Content! Win, Win!

• Like Like x 2
  32. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

Я рад анонсу и жду релиза TSW2! Игра развивается, она станет лучше. Улучшенный движок, новые возможности, новые ожидания!
    Расстраивает отсутствие поддержки старых DLC, надеюсь что это вынужденная мера разработчиков. Они ведь понимали как отказ в поддержке DLC будет воспринят сообществом и они тоже рискуют. Если они пошли на такой шаг значит это действительно необходимо. Верю, что мы скоро получим новый улучшенный контент, ведь мы знаем что это возможно. Доказательство тому Sand Patch Grade и Talent 2.
    Может появится тот же BR185 в новом образе, может быть с машинным отделением и дополнительными функциями управления, с новой физикой и динамикой, с улучшенными звуками. Может быть мы его получим в составе нового немецкого маршрута или в качестве нового DLC Loco, но он будет. Существующие маршруты могут быть нам представлены в будущем в составе более расширенного DLC. Готов ждать и буду готов их купить. Остается только один вопрос - сколько мы за это должны будем заплатить.

Надеюсь что я не буду разочарован. Команда разработчиков двигается вперед и не хочет останавливаться на достигнутом. Уверен, что у нас будет новый контент на новом техническом уровне! Нас ждут сотни захватывающих часов поездок.

33. longo239

English translation by Google Translate.

34. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

Do you have a feeling that they take all this suggestions personally. Does anyone knows if they ever replied or showed some kind of interest in any kind of suggestion that was made here on the forums?

35. longo239

I'm sure some of it is taken personally because I wouldn't think anyone in a creative industry like software development goes to work with the intention of turning out poor quality or unwelcomed content.

But, they should also be fully aware that not everyone is going to like everything they do. As there will always be some who will buy everything, like everything and see no wrong in anything.

It will be interesting if future Q&A streams do address any of the concerns as we move forward. If they don't even mention them it does give the impression that they are ignoring them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. longo239

Two Weeks after the Q&A, no real further information since then:

153 votes cast (+82)
    16.3% - Undecided (+2.2%)
    43.8% - Disappointed across all platforms (+0.1%)
    39.9% - Happy across all platforms (-2.3%)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  37. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Happy for the continued development of TSW and happy to pay for the upgrade, but VERY disappointed that they are drawing a line under all the DLC I have bought thus far (I have all but one). When I bought them it was in good faith that they would be an integral part of the core game for years, and that by investing today I would get long-term value (particularly with a future "shareable" scenario editor like TS1). So mixed feelings here, but no vote cast as no option in the list sums up my feelings.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  38. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Happy for TSW2 launch pack (2 of 3 locos/routes was on my wishlist since TSW day-one) but at the same time with several doubts about the future of TSW2 (hopefull for a project build to merge new dlcs in a unique long route instead of shorts and isolated segments across the countries)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020