What Do You Think About Graffiti On Trains?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by grdaniel48, Jun 16, 2020.

1. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am posting this tread based on what happens on real world trains, and if we want this on TSW too.
    Unfortunately, graffitis are very common on almsot all over the world trains and its infraestructure!
    I do not like them at all!
    Because they are damaging what we love!
    Furthermore, trains do not look like they were created and painted

So considering:
    - TSW try to make the simulator as real as possible, which is great!
    - There are already graffitis on walls of some routes, but on some freight cars too, on Peninsula Corridor route.

Would you like them continue to appear on our routes and rolling stocks in future DLCs?

My opinion, is despite exists on the world as mentioned, as this is a simulator, and we love trains, I would like not to see graffities on it, any more!

The ones on the walls, could be the there if they are no so many, and colofurl, as today.
    But please no on rolling stock and locomotives!
    I would also like to have on our trains,.. weathered effects, as on real ones!.
    I mean, caused by dust or time of use, instead.
    (Apart from snow and rain we already have)
    These ones makes trains dirty and no look so shiny as they were brand new always.

Please make your comments about it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  2. Paulo_1997

Paulo_1997 Active Member

I would rather see some dirt on the trains since it's a bitter truth that trains aren't really clean at all... :D

A shiny train is beautiful, but not very realistic.
    If I'm correct, the BR 406 on a picture on the website has some dirt on it. Would be great, if they would do this to all trains!

3. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

I think this idea is definitely worth some consideration, especially since its one of those things that really boosts immersion. Just that little bit of wear & tear on a locomotive, or graffiti drawn on a wall underneath a bridge makes the world in TSW feel a bit more lived-in, and i think the way the artists handled it on Penninsula Corridor was awesome!
    I do wonder if there's a way to give different locos in TSW different levels of cleanliness, say for example if you're driving down the line and watch different trains passing by, each with a slightly different look? Perhaps it could be done with the new livery manager coming in TSW2?
    Its certainly a fun idea to explore!

4. grdaniel48

Hi guys for your replies.
    Yes Sky, the livery manager will allow us, to make our own liveries, and we could add the dirty thing.
    The problem is will be only for each one of us. It will not be sherable.

So the best solution would be developers made both clean and dirty or weathered as if they were 2 liveries.
    We have this already with Class 66, and DB 185. I mean more than 1 paint scheme.

As to graffities on walls as I mentioned, are ok for me. But no on trains please!

I also noticed some freight wagons it have some dirty.
    Even the new ICE 3, I noticed on the pictures it have some small dirty at the front end.

Hope we have more weatherd wagons and locos on TSW 2

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ironcat60

ironcat60 New Member

As I reside in the United States I would very much like to see graffiti on the rail cars. Any car left at a siding or at a business near a urban area is almost a guarantee that one or two cars will be "tagged". I know for a fact that controlling the security at major railroad yard is difficult. So security is concentrated around the areas where there is loaded cars, shop facilities and offices. Empty cars in storage sidings and other similar areas are going to get "tagged".

"Graffiti that covers railcar identification numbers and other important information also must be painted over so those numbers are visible, though more artists seem to leave the numbers alone so their work might stay on the cars longer, Masters said.
    It’s up to car owners to decide whether to paint over graffiti, Masters said. If the graffiti doesn’t cover up identification numbers, owners usually leave it alone, especially if it’s particularly creative." Sioux City Journal article

• Like Like x 1
  6. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

As long as it fits the period of time the route is for. There was not a lot of Graffiti on the UK railways in the 70's.

• Like Like x 1
  7. photonmonkey

photonmonkey Well-Known Member

I think I have my foot in both camps on this, yes graffiti is a real world problem/art form depending on your outlook :) and I do like seeing it on the walls and bridges where it would be in real life but for me I would say leave the actual locos alone, or at least let it be optional along with dirt/weathering etc. Obviously my own personal opinion others may/will disagree :)

8. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna guess that graffiti on trains is a big no no by the Train companies (or those who give out the licenses). It's bad enough having to deal with them in real life, Having them on TSW2 would be a bad move.

• Like Like x 5
  9. guardupfront

guardupfront Active Member

Think this came up on a stream a while ago,

Graffiti is seen as ‘artwork’ so you’d need the approval of the artist in order to use the authentic graffiti from that location.
    I may be misremembering though.

10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The advantage with real life graffiti is that you know that at some point there is a chance that someone will remove the tagging eyesore. With graffiti in TSW you know it is always going to be there. The graffiti on the trackside is a fleeting view so isn’t so bad, despite all TSW graffiti being based on the same large square format (as if the artists vandals are designated a standard space to fill), but on the trains it would spoil the game as they would always be there on every train. It’s best that they keep it to the walls and not the vehicles. Best of both worlds.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

People vandalising trains is just wrong. Don't need to encourage it by putting it in game. Plenty of blank concrete around the scenery which could be "tagged" and i'm much more sanguine with someone tagging a flyover than an object which carries hundreds of people or thousands of tonnes

• Like Like x 3
  12. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Don’t have any respect for them it’s piss taking that even some brand new trains are heavily vandalized… while beginning a shift I discovered that even the interior of the cab was full of graffiti I have no mercy and no sympathy even when they die at the depot ( yeah one day a guy made a graffiti then was spotted by the transit police and hide himself on the roof of the train and got zipped by 1.5KV DC and the family filed a claim against the SNCF lol ) but thankfully we’ll never see graffitis on trains on the game as licensing will be revoked, we can only see that on the walls near the tracks and the surrounding

• Like Like x 1
  13. grdaniel48

Thank you guys for your comments, of this post I made last year!

Yes, I agree with your comments:

- First of all graffiti on real trains, are really bad and a sad sight of them.
    This is happening almost worldwide. I noticed on videos, at least only in Japan and Russia, this issue is not happening. May be there is another country too.
    Also as mentioned on brand new trains.
    - My opinion about the use of them on TSW2, is as you mentioned. Ok on walls, and other areas around the tracks, but definitively not on trains.
    This have not happened yet, with the only exception of the Two-Bay Aggregate Hopper Cars, that have them.
    In this case it is acceptable for me, despite I will prefer not be there.

Trains itself and its infrastructure has being the most affected by this issue by far.
    Even on some European countries where you do not see them on other areas.

14. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

I dont like grafitis on trains, but is a reality all over the world. I think nobothi cud do nothing. Sad, but real.

15. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

It's vandalism, and should not be tolerated. The s...ts that do this should be prosecuted fully

• Like Like x 2
  16. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

I have no respect for people that graffiti trains it makes trains not nice looking and I think the authorities should do more to stop it

• Like Like x 2
  17. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Yes I want graffiti and weathering on the trains. Every time I see on ICE passing it hurts at my eyes how white they are. They all seems to come straight out of the washing street.

18. cmadonna1998

cmadonna1998 Active Member

Exactly what I was going to say. No way these brands would allow their images to be "tarnished" with graffiti.

• Like Like x 1
  19. antwerpcentral

But I can change the appearance of their trains?

20. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

It is okay on walls in the game as long as not to much of it. But not on the trains.

21. antwerpcentral

But the graffiti would be optional on the trains. Think of stickers that you can apply in the livery editor.

22. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

Would you be fine if some walks onto your property and spray graffiti all over your 2020 BMW 750i? You would have to spend money to repaint the vehicle again.

23. antwerpcentral

Depends on the graffiti. If it's Banksy it would be a crime to remove it :D

24. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Union Pacific is odd with graffiti....

When one of their mothballed SD60Ms got vandalized overnight in a viral video, they immediately put grey primer in it and sent it to the Jenks Shops for a repaint.
    t2v88q3t7v741.jpg
    download (1).jpeg

Yet, they let their locomotives that work the LA area run around looking like this.....
    maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault (1).jpg

• Like Like x 1