Is The Editor Expected To Go Online This Year?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by phantomgroup, May 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

2. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

3. nyswat19

nyswat19 Member

Lets protest in front of DTG HQ... maybe they will listen lol...

4. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Deleted

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

You should read the forums properly ...

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/community-manager-reporting-for-duty.23002/

It is in this thread, but you need to scroll down a bit to where Sam answers my post there...

6. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

7. ralphy_porter2000

ralphy_porter2000 Active Member

So then, no editor. Did I call it or what? Normally I dont mind being wrong...

8. phantomgroup

phantomgroup New Member

uhhhh....Routes Editor will going online with TSW2, but Loco Editor may have more days to go to online

9. hightower

hightower Guest

Swing and a miss.

DTG have made it very clear...there is no editor. There never has been a public editor. They are not working on an editor.

What is coming with TSW2 is effectively Quick Drive and along with the ‘livery designer’ is pretty much pointless as you can’t share anything with other users.

My opinion, you will never see a TS1 style editor for TSW. Period.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s getting further away...
    editor editor editor editor editor editor editor

• Like Like x 2
  11. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Dovetail: Say they are working on a full route editor for console and PC and have got a scenario editor available in the game at launch.
    Community: There is no editor and never will be.

Why am I even on these forums?

• Like Like x 2
  12. hightower

hightower Guest

Why are you on the forums? Only you can answer that.

That aside, did you watch the Q&A stream? Perhaps you should. 1 hour 18 minutes and 50 seconds to save you having to watch the whole thing.

Question: Where's the editor?

Answer: We're not making an editor. At the current time we're not making an editor, which means there will not be an editor. There we go.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2020
  13. e.heydon

e.heydon New Member

T
    This was a Video Matt Did in 2018 unveiling the editor , which now we are not getting , in Dovetails recent stream on youtube they said "we are not going to lead you down the garden path " well that's exactly what they have done for two years disgusting!

14. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Looks like you missed your calling by three days.

15. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Well, the DTG Protagonist (Sam) said that, not Matt. You're right though, by saying nothing all this time they have led us down the garden path. Hopefully that will now stop with the changes they say are coming.

16. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I wonder exactly what went wrong that caused the editor to still not be out almost 2 years later. I mean he seems quite optimistic in this stream, and the editor looks usable.

17. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Yeh, I recently watched the editor stream as well and it is quite a strange experience watching it now. Matt was so enthusiastic about it.....talking about future streams covering route creation, encouraging people to think about scenarios they could create in the editor and posting their ideas on this forum...and then (as we all know) it all just came to a grinding halt with not another word said about it.

It would be interesting if in the future we find out actually what happened in those immediate months following that stream...but I suspect we will never know

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  18. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The makers of Unreal probably wouldn’t let them release it. Just a guess.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dinosbacsi

While it may be a possibility, I highly doubt they didn't think and consult about these type of things when they got the engine. Also if this was the problem I think they would've told us by now.

In the Q&A stream Sam pushed the "yes or no" answer so they ended up saying there is no editor and it's not coming, but after that he corrected that statement in the forum saying there is no editor currently but work has been done and it still being done on it. I suppose they told him that saying "there is no editor at all" was overpushing it, because it's work in progess, even if it's progressing really slowly.

My take on it is that it simply got lower priority so it's on the backburner now.

20. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Yep..that much is obvious, but you have to wonder what changed in those weeks/months following that stream (ie Dec 18 - Feb 19) for everything to just change the way it did. I also doubt Epic had anything to do with it...the editor is clearly working fine in that stream (albeit the internal version); but anyone watching that stream would be under the impression it was releasing within the next month or two with the way Matt was talking about it.

I know all this is pointless now..nothing will change the past etc but it would be so interesting to know what caused them to backflip on the editor as hard as they did

21. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I doubt Matt is as Machiavellian as some would think..
    I'm sure he genuinely believed an editor was possible at the beginning, but with the tweaks and adjustments to the code over the years he found it wouldn't work consistently with the older routes.
    Better to cut you're losses and move on.

22. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

23. e.heydon

e.heydon New Member

aww thanks

24. loader.tom

loader.tom Member

The Q&A wasn't entirely honest. Because if it wasn't a definite yes, then the answer is no, when for many things on the Q&A that wasn't strictly the case. If the answer involved we're working on it, then the answer in the Q&A would be no, assume it's not the case... Which isn't exactly the right answer.

25. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

My gut feeling is Stujoy is closest to the money. I seem to recall Matt saying on a stream (not sure if it was the editor preview stream) any change made to the editor had to be run by UE folk.

I dare say they ran into trouble on that front, hence they couldn't come out and say UE are holding it up, imagine the fury directed at UE.

Therefore they have had to design and build in house tools which we will see the result of in TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Trooper117

Trooper117 Active Member

On the recent stream it was stated there would not be an editor in TSW2... but then again, it was made clear that all questions would be answered either yes or no, and it seemed for quite a few of the questions where they weren't sure of the answer it was always a no, and I got the impression on the editor question they did not want to commit themselves so it was a no.
    The editor is an emotive subject, and for many a make or break scenario for the game, especially when they believe it was coming for the original TSW... so who knows, in a few months time maybe the news may have changed.

27. hightower

hightower Guest

It won’t. Why can’t people understand this?

DTG haven’t said a word about an editor for 18 months, every time they’ve been asked literally not a word. They then say unequivocally that they are not working on one and that ‘there won’t be an editor’’

People are still reading into nuances that they perceive to exist and still somehow think no means yes. There will not be an editor, certainly not in the same style as TS1. Get over it and move on!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2020
  28. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

For the avoidance of doubt: there will not be a publicly released editor for Train Sim World (any edition).

Independent developers who wish to get involved in making add-ons for the game can do so via the Partner Program, which is currently being overhauled (and rarely replies to anyone - I'm chasing it, will update when I have more information.)

For those who see having a universal, full creation suite of modding tools and an editor available as essential: this is not the game that will offer that. Disappointment is inevitable, but no amount of posting will move this position, there are simply too many factors, technical, commercial and legal, involved in making it happen. No, I won't unpick those factors because it will change absolutely nothing.

• Helpful Helpful x 12
    • Like Like x 3
  29. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

So Anthony Pecoraro, do you finally get the message that there will be NO editor?

Read the above message.

• Like Like x 6
  30. Dinosbacsi

Sorry but didn't you say just a few days ago (after the Q&A stream) that work has been and is still being done on an editor, except it's still very far from release?

It's getting really confusing, because for years the devs has been saying the editor is coming, then on the Q&A stream you said no editor coming, then the day after you say you need to clarify because there is an editor in the works, but it's far from release, then now again you say that there is no editor and it's never coming.

What is it then? Also can we clarify what kind of editor are we talking about exactly? Because I mean you say "universal, full creation suite of modding tools and an editor", which I suppose would mean something like a complete dev kit that you guys use as well. It's understandable that something like that is not released to the public, but not even an in-game route editor (where you can use already owned assets to make routes) like in TS1?

• Like Like x 3
  31. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

You mean this?
    unknown.png

• Like Like x 2
  32. Dinosbacsi

Yes, I'm talking about this one.
    "the editor is not a dead entity, there are plants for the editor"
    "there will not be a publicly released editor"

Like which is it one then?

• Like Like x 4
  33. Trooper117

Trooper117 Active Member

Confusing to say the least... For me, I don't give a flying rats arse whether they make one or not, I just drive the trains. I only know it's an emotive issue in the forums, therefore I have nothing to get over...

• Like Like x 1
  34. hightower

hightower Guest

Thank you!! Hopefully this relentless whining about it can now finally be put to bed.

Edited to add: Judging by the posts above I fear not. If I feel like giving up it must be doing your heads in!

• Like Like x 2
  35. killakanzGaming

killakanzGaming Active Member

Which? Has DTG Protagonist not made it clear? It's both.
    There is an editor. They can't release it publicly for reasons (probably because Epic Games wont license it), so it's only available to 3rd parties in the partnership scheme.
    What's so difficult to comprehend about that?

• Like Like x 4
  36. Anthony Pecoraro

Oh hey Luke!

37. nielsmallant100

nielsmallant100 Well-Known Member

okay, so first a definitive yes for the editor (december 2018), then a probably, then a maybe, and now a no. Sums up how DTG is treating TSW imo

• Like Like x 4
  38. Dinosbacsi

Well he made it clear in the Q&A stream, just to backtrack on it the next day saying "it's not dead", and now he is again announcing it pretty clearly that there is no public editor. So in the matter of only a week he changed statement three times, therefore the confusion.

I can understand the licencing issues and whatnot, but they pretty much shot themselves in the foot if they got into this new game engine and technology, thinking "oh we can do so much with this" and at the end the only advantage it brings is prettier graphics. Don't get me wrong I like TSW and enjoy it, but they started out so enthusiastic about this project, being so proud of how much they will be able to achieve with it, yet now for pretty much every feature asked the answer is "sorry, technical and/or licencing limitations".

• Like Like x 4
  39. hightower

hightower Guest

It hasn’t changed three times, it’s that people aren’t listening!!

• Like Like x 1
  40. nielsmallant100

nielsmallant100 Well-Known Member

yeah keep saying that.

• Like Like x 5
  41. hightower

hightower Guest

For the love of God.

42. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

UE4 and a console release were definitely the right choice for this game /s

At least, for DTG they are. Now they can rake in money on more fronts while maintaining total creative control over the IP. Yeah you can totally get your hands on creative tools for TSW but you gotta pay the piper first.

• Like Like x 2
  43. Anthony Pecoraro

There will still be third party content. They can have access to the editor. No public editor doesn't mean no third party content.

44. DTG Protagonist

Herein lies the issue folks - what I am trying to give you is what to expect. Sometimes, when doing so it may seem to be counter to what you already know which clearly contradicts what I'm telling you.

If you listen to what I'm saying you will be disappointed right now. If you choose to ignore it you might well be more disappointed later having convinced yourself that what was mentioned as a "maybe" was in fact a "definitely." Until any feature in the game is solidified as a "definitely" - ie it is in active development with a clear plan for release - it is a "definitely not".

Work on the editor has continued. It is expected that it will only be given to development partners when it is ready for any kind of use. It is not currently intended to ever be given to anyone outside the partner program.

To that end, there is no editor.

• Like Like x 3
  45. ChrisRCentral

ChrisRCentral Member

Can the FAQs be updated with this information then? If DTG are trying to be transparent as possible, it's the best way to be even if the news is very disappointing given what we were told when TSW was first released.

On the FAQs, it says under the "Full PC Editor":

"We know from both closed door testing and working with experienced third-party developers that this isn’t an easy editor to use and until we have resolved these issues, we are not going to release anything more widely."

This implies that something will be released at a later date. Surely if it's a resounding "no". This should be updated to reflect that so it doesn't lead to speculation/misinterpretation? I would rather all information from DTG be from the same page rather than having someone say one thing and then another say another thing.

• Like Like x 1
  46. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

And that is because...?

A few years ago the stance was "there will definitely be an editor". Your colleague showed off the editor to everyone in a stream just before Christmas 2018, where he demonstrated what's involved in making a scenario. "Get learning UE4, so you're ready to start building content when we release the tools" was said to whoever asked 'what can we do now?' Over the past years, many people have done just that. I've seen countless 3D models "for when TSW's editor arrives", I've seen people gathering all sorts of detailed information about routes so they could recreate them in TSW when the time is right.

To be honest with you, an answer like this comes across as a slap in the face to all those people who have invested so much time in anticipation of something which is unlikely to ever come.

Come on DTG, you can do better than that.

• Like Like x 7
  47. trinancrat

trinancrat Member

It does mean no community Northeast Corridor project... :|

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  48. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

You are correct because we have seen content from Rivet Games. What this does mean is there will be no "official" user created content.

49. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

News coming in on the grapevine telegraph...
    ...There is no editor...
    ...There never will be an editor...
    ...ignore all previous messages...
    ...about there being an editor...

Sad news, all round.

• Like Like x 4
  50. DTG Protagonist

The FAQ states the editor will never be released until issues are resolved. I've stated the editor will never be released outside of partners. Either way if you're holding your breath for the editor I strongly recommend you don't.

The Partner program is going through a transition at present, and when that settles down we'll talk about what that means for those who want editor access. Expect it to be more disappointing news, but that's as good as it's likely to get.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.