Forum Restructure

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by longo239, Jun 17, 2020.

1. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

I know DTG Protagonist has mentioned on a couple of occasions about his intention to restructure the forums.

I'd like to suggest that instead of having a TSW 2020 (or TSW2, in the future) forum for each of the platforms, each with their own sub forums, it is replaced with a main forum for everything TSW related where posts can be made, then have the sub forums for each platform.

As it stands, if you want to post a message relevant to all platforms, for example my "Will you buy TSW 2" poll was posted in the PC forum as there isn't anywhere for everyone.

Similarly, when DTG Protagonist made his introductory post, he had to make 3 identical posts to cover all platforms.

I'm sure others have thoughts and issues too.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I posted this on a thread a few weeks ago.

• Like Like x 2
  3. longo239

The new forum restructure seems to be working ok so far.

However, there does appear to be members of the community who don't care to read, accept or listen to any opinions or comments that are not in line with their own or those of DTG.

So would it be possible to create an area on the forums specifically for them, where they can spend time together, discuss things they don't consider toxic and not be bothered by those who don't agree with them.

These forums appear to be run using the same software to another forum I read and I know they have an area which only certain members can access, so it shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

Also, I would imagine those wishing to have access to such an area would require little to no moderation at all, so would not create any more work for the community manager.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

What would be the point of separating users with different views? That would only result in eco chambers and a split community.

5. longo239

They could go to their "happy place" where they don't have to read anything against DTG. Somewhere they could all say how great everything is. It wouldn't split the community because there are only a few members who would use it.

Could call it "DTG Fan Zone" or something positive!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Ooh, can we have a secret handshake to get in?

At the moment it seems that anyone who doesn’t absolutely hate DTG is not welcome to comment on the forum by a lot of people.

That’s going to get old really quickly. Yes, it’s a difficult time at the moment, and people are very disappointed, but some people are grown up enough to accept that disappointment and move on. Spewing hate all over the forum isn’t going to get Dovetail to change their mind on anything, and directing some of that at people who can see the other side of things is exactly the same behaviour that you are criticising. Not seeing the other side. A little bit of venting is okay but getting your knickers in a twist about some people who aren’t as livid as you is as bad as any other bad forum behaviour.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

This was tried..... but.... even with a carefully selected/vetted chosen few, with strict guidelines on extreme positivity robustly enforced.... it all became too much to handle after TSW2 was announced:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...ssion-discord-server.21941/page-2#post-140714

• Like Like x 1
  8. longo239

If that's something you want to suggest, feel free.

That is definitely not the case. There have been very few cases where there have been personal comments made towards individuals and they have been dealt with swiftly by the Community Manager.

It will get old and people will move on, but some of the people who are not unhappy or disappointed with the decisions can be just as bad. Instead of giving their opinion with the reasons they hold those opinions, they post one line comments accusing people who don't agree with them as "toxic". Comments they don't agree with are "nonsene". You yourself say people are "spewing hate".

So it's not all one way traffic!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

I must admit, I find the "You are toxic" vs "You are a fanboy" confrontation a bit tiresome....

These statements are only usually deployed when the argument/evidence for a point of view or perspective is thin on the ground. This is a Forum - all views that play the ball, and not the person, should be welcome, however extreme those views are (within reason).....

• Like Like x 2
  10. longo239

Why does each game, TS1, TSW and the fishing games have their own individual "off topic" area?

11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Because in reality the off topic posts generally still relate somewhat to the audience, and because there needs to be an off topic section once you have selected the game you play, ie the first tier of sub-forum. Off topic posts in the fishing section will most likely be about fishing outside of the game and similarly with the trains, although there could likely be crossover between TS and TSW posts. You can still go and look at them though. They could be given slightly different names now because you can tell which game forum things are posted in when looking at the ‘new posts’ section, due to the further sub-forums being differently named across the games, and that has made navigating the forum so much easier, except the Off Topic posts which could still be in any forum.

• Like Like x 2
  12. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

It is important to have all sides represented in any discussion about a video game, because forums exist to be read. If all the opinion in a single thread is one-way-traffic a neutral reader may come to the conclusion put forth by the OP. Rather than segregate people into two boards - "I HATE DTG" and "I LOVE DTG" - which will accomplish nothing but self-propagating, increasingly overblown grandstanding by their participants. You're all just going to have to learn to get along.

If someone disagrees with you, get used to the idea that your opinion is not universal. It's a healthy thing.

Moving this to off-topic, because it is.

• Like Like x 1