North East Rails V.3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JoeWhittaker, May 9, 2020.

1. JoeWhittaker

JoeWhittaker New Member

Hello,most people on this thread probable have never come across my route project before as it resides on UKTS,so i have decided to post some video links iv been making during my rebuild of the route to V.3.
    and hopefully it will get a bit of a wider coverage.
    Here is the first video showing Ashington NCB network.

The main link to the route is here ,this will give you an idea of the areas covered originally.

https://www.uktrainsim.com/FreewarePacks/index.php?p=ThePacks&pack_id=NorthEastRails

Joe Whittaker

Another short scenario video showing a run to Backworth exchange from Percy Main to collect full hoppers.for V.3.

Another short video showing the completed line between Newcastle and Morpeth on North East Rails V.3
    Thought i would make a run behind a class 40 working a Carlisle to Edinburgh service with an additional stop at Cramlington .just a bit of fun and thrash .
    All scenery is complete between Manors to Morpeth,Newcastle is still to be detailed but you should get the general idea.
    hope you enjoy. Joe

Joe

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. JoeWhittaker

JoeWhittaker New Member

Video added above,hope you enjoy
    Joe

3. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Looks fab....! Is this route available for download via Steam Workshop....?

4. JoeWhittaker

JoeWhittaker New Member

The route is available at UKTS site,the section shown in the class 40 vid is a new section of the route which will be ready in December .

Joe W

5. Plastic Pal

Ah, okay. Well, if you ever drop it into the Steam Workshop, then I will take a look at it.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

On UKTS you know it works and it is dead simple to contact the Author
    And I don't think you would bother with it as it has a number of third party items

7. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I may have to take a look at some point in the future, but I am having hard drive issues as it is and might actually have to temporarily remove some files after backing them up on some laptops and possibly other hefty Steam games (auto racing games tend to be beefy). I do have the Woodhead and the 101, however, so I definitely could look if I ever get around to adding freeware assets; the issue is I already have over 100 paid DLC to look through, so it may take a while. LOL

Again, if a copy appears on Steam utilizing other route assets that work in there instead, I might be inclined to look sooner, but otherwise I will get around to it when I go through the Steam DLC. :)

8. Plastic Pal

Yep - this is exactly the approach that I will be taking. If the content appears on Steam Workshop, then there is a chance I will look at it much sooner (if at all).

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I had to look at my DLC recently and I was surprised :o
    client.jpg
    I don't have them all installed - I removed my US routes and locos when I put a 1TB drive in just for TS2020 which uses around 700GB
    At least if I want them back I just click on the name in the Assets and they reinstall

Peter

10. Cyclone

Yeah, mine are all installed. I'm only over 100 GB so far. I have not done any third-party yet. Even freeware.

11. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Impressive Peter, I'm not far off that:

1.jpg

My playtime seems to be creeping too (TSW currently sits at about 180 hours):

2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Plastic Pal

Oh dear.... I have only really just started with TS1.... but your screenshots appeared to me as the ghosts of my TS1 future.... ;-O

• Like Like x 2
  13. dunkrez

Gives you some idea of what a stupid thing dropping Railworks64 for TSW2 would be.

No way will TSW ever engage me past 1000 hours - I've tried, whole-heartedly but there just isn't the depth there and I'm not sure there ever will be - TSW is to TS what Mass Effect 3 was to Mass Effect 2. Train Simulator is a _proper_ hobby and feels like the logical evolution of having a Bachmann railway set up on a load of chipboard in the attic. My 00 loco's and rolling stock are all neatly stored in boxes now - I get much more from driving a loco in TS2020, it's properly brilliant.

Last night I tried the new class 20 DLC for TSW. Within half an hour, I'd fired up TS2020 and was driving a pair of Railfreight 20's with better sounds along the North East of England and it was ace.

The Emperor's New Clothes springs to mind.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Plastic Pal

It's interesting, because when I buy stuff for TS1 (all in sales), I see it all in terms of content that will get used for very many years to come, as an investment - so I have started hoarding it, whenever I see good prices... (but I have not got around to using it all yet). I have logged 120 hours so far (in three months), and I have only done a "taster" of about half of my routes.... ;-O

With TSW, I see the content quite differently - so far TSW content has mostly gone to the PS4, and I expect it to all to become obsolete within twelve months from now. I think that I have done about 300 hours in TSW (a fairly decent stint) over two years.... but I see my time moving over to TS1, possibly completely, in the long term. TSW is nice to walk around, but the only thing I really miss from TSW (when in TS1) is the ability to grab and press stuff without using a mouse/trackpad. (If anyone has an alternative non-keyboard solution for this then I will send them a six-pack of Krispy Kreme doughnuts as a thank you...).

Getting back to the thread's original topic..... I think that it will be a very long time before I try any third-party freebies, let alone third-party paid content, if it is not available on Steam. There is just too much stuff for me to get through. Then there's the scenarios. Then there's the editor.... ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  15. dunkrez

Don't rob yourself the pleasure of having a really nice Armstrong Powerhouse model or three. AP push TS in the direction of TS2 constantly - they are a class outfit of software developers. They turn reasonable models into awesome models generally.

16. Cyclone

Interesting way to put it. I wish DTG would just work with Armstrong to put the content into the items on Steam and pay Armstrong for their part of it, but maybe I'm simplifying the process in a way that it doesn't quite exist. I also hope the cries for a new core to the game are heard and would be a willing beta tester of it.

Also, I solved my hard drive issue. Got myself over 300 GB (back to 299 GB now with a 3.9 GB game install). Amazing what relocating over 100 GB of music and removing a folder with plenty of duplicates does for your space. Now I just have to be careful with all of those automobile racing games that want 40 GB apiece by themselves...they won't often be staying long after I play them in turn...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  17. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Pffft, Rookie numbers, my Sons just bought me RDR2 for the PC (was too tight to buy it myself at launch)..... 115gb !!!! :o

18. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

No no no, AP must keep their autonomy. When a larger company takes over a smaller higher end company the quality of high end company goes downhill.

• Like Like x 2
  19. dunkrez

Agreed - I've experienced this before from the inside. It can literally kill all innovation.

Like waves from the ocean washing through a neatly preserved rock pool.

20. Cyclone

While this is true (Micro$oft, Google), I did not say take over the company. Instead, work with the separate company to put high quality content in the releases. Autonomy maintained.

21. DonnyDave

DonnyDave Active Member

i'm happy there's a different place to download things because every time i download something from workshop (using the website cos in game workshop causes errors) there's something required that i don't have or don't have money to get

22. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This depends on whether you like your supplied scenarios to work or not...
    AP are great at models, but also great at making sure you need to purchase four or five of their other packs to run the scenarios properly (and by properly that discounts F2ing past the reams of stock you don't have)
    I'm lucky enough to have all of their assets bar the 377 which I can't be bothered with yet but that's a few hundred quid that some won't want to spend

• Like Like x 1
  23. dunkrez

Some people use scenarios, some people don't bother with them.

I still recommend the 37. It's just brilliantly made.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I don't tend to run many "supplied scenarios" as I make my own. I do feel that without AP and SSS the sim would be a lot poorer, the bogie run sounds on the AP stock and enhancement packs make a world of difference. Some of the steam engine chuff sounds pre-SSS enhancements are awful and are jarring, and not just with DTG produced steam engines.

For some, sounds are not a big deal, I used to think they weren't but over the last few years they have become a big deal as far as I am concerned.

I recommend people try and create scenarios if they have time, they can be very rewarding and the scenario editor isn't that hard to use, even though the despatcher can make you wan to tear your hair out at times.

• Like Like x 1
  25. JoeWhittaker

JoeWhittaker New Member

Another Scenario for the update ,description in Youtube.

P.S looking at the amount of folks asking about putting the route on workshop,ill have a look at the possibility of this but not sure if its feasible as lots of assets are packaged with the route with permission from other developers and it also uses my basic route which is one of the freeware packs on UKTS ,maybe i could look at putting the route file itself on workshop with some sort of asset file on UKTS .well lets see ,and yes im in the same boat as the people above with space with a full TB ssd for the game and now looking to half my content between 2 drives.

hope you enjoy the Video

Joe

26. ralphy_porter2000

ralphy_porter2000 Active Member

Keep up the great work Joe.
    If I worked at DTG HR I would offer you a job!

• Like Like x 1
  27. JoeWhittaker

JoeWhittaker New Member

Thanks for that Ralph ,long way to travel on the commute haha.

28. JoeWhittaker

JoeWhittaker New Member

thought id have a look at my DLC iv one more than you ,but what shocked me is time played 6452 hrs wonder how much of that was route building vs driving.

29. themagpie#1689

themagpie#1689 New Member

Hi Joe

i love your route! Went to school next to Furnace Way sidings, only frustration is the signals appear to sometimes not function especially the semaphore ones….any ideas?

30. dunkrez

Holy resurrected thread Batman :D

31. chrisreb

chrisreb Member

Have always enjoyed this route and cannot wait for expansion. Thanks for doing this.

32. Cyclone

Nothing wrong with that. :D

I will take the opportunity to note a home off of UKTS is needed now, however. I wonder if the site's disappearing cuts off the requirements of the UKTS Freeware Program and a single unique version can perhaps now be posted?

33. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

i will take a guess at 6451 of route building and 1 hour of driving :D :D :D :D Fantastic route and deffo an attention to detail thanks.