PC Front Or Rear Of Diesel Locomotive.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Pure nostalgia, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

When instructed to connect wagons or coaches to the Rear/Front of a diesel locomotive, i have difficulty in knowing which end is the front and which is the rear. Is there a quick way if defining this please.

2. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

My assumption would be that the front is the cab in which I am. Secondly shouldn't there be an objective marker displayed? You may need to remove the objective marker from the HUD for this to work as designed.

3. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

There is no front or rear, the front is allways the cab in wich direction the train goes and the rear where the wagons are. ;-)

4. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

American locomotives are designated F and R on the sides near the corresponding ends. When diesel locomotives were first being introduced most engineers were driving long end forward by tradition and the thought that the event of a crash they would receive more protection. Later to standardize the FRA required labeling the the ends and designated the short end as F (forward).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Are you asking about a particular engine?

6. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

No, i find it difficult to tell which is the front and which is the rear, it is not a problem until the instructions first in TS2017 now in TSW say " connect the wagons to the front of the loco" My general question was " Is there an easy way to tell which is the front and which is the rear of a diesel locomotive.
    Mike

7. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

There is a technical front to the Class 66, the forward or No 1 cab/end is the one with the MCB cabinet in (if you look above the windscreen, on the forward upper panel, the cab number is always printed to denote which cab/end is which). In general operational terms, the front cab/end is always the cab/end that you're operating the locomotive from.

The two terms are often interchangeable and I can understand the confusion, so we'll look at referring to them as No 1 and No 2 cab/end to avoid this in the future.

Best, Steve

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

Thanks Steven.

Mike

9. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I ran the rescue scenario for the '66 yesterday which, among other interesting maneuvers, requires several cab switches and provides nicely clear instructions for carrying them out. My compliments to the scenario maker!