Baseless Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by raildan, Aug 16, 2018.

1. npalmer405

npalmer405 Member

Who uses disk anymore? I have been using steam my whole life (13yrs). The only games that I got on disk are farming simulators.
    91C5981A-3452-4B8C-BA7E-DBE89DA3EB1E.jpeg
    now I feel really old.

• Like Like x 1
  2. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Another line taken from the TSW2 article
    “Train weights now use a new ‘weighted wagon system’ and loaded trains will require significantly more skill to manage.”.
    It seems with the systems they are implementing that it will require skill depending on the weight of the train and depending on the conditions. Scenario’s are always set with a specific weather determined but I do understand what you are saying. It will be good to see how they handle the scoring system with TSW2 and judging from the HUD, and control scheme changes they are making I am curious if we see a revamped scoring system to go along with the new changes they are making. Speaking of HUD, that HUD used in TS would be a good fit in TSW. I dream. It does sound great what they are doing though. Another part from the article.
    “Get clearer information on instructions, gradient and speed profiles as you drive, including new HUD displays, clarity to the onboard safety systems, brake controls, power meter and accelerometer. A new controller scheme will give great choices on Camera and Driving modes and allows easier access from external camera mode to enter another vehicle in your consist, all while full physics and simulation are still running.”

• Like Like x 2
  3. matthewbguilford

Hey Raildan,
    Glad to see your excited! I agree, I think the complete turn around on how they plan to handle TSW2 and the community alone is enough for a new game. These 3 routes are very exciting to see and I can’t wait to see what DTG have planned for the roadmap!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

I think the TSW HUD is actually really good - very clear and compact, compared to TS1 which cuts across the screen and has tiny fonts..... Hopefully the TSW 2 HUD will retain the clarity of TSW.

Anyway.... In TSW, I think the "consist" has only got one centre of gravity (COG), whereas under TSW 2 it appears that the centre of gravity of each vehicle will be taken into account. Should be awesome when cresting and controlling the brakes...

.....the difference to be simulated is that when you split out the wagon COGs... you can then simulate brake timing over the whole consist as you go through a dip or over a crest.... so different parts of the consist will be on different gradients and they will have different braking pressures... over time.... just after brake release/applicaton.... and if this is coupled with wheelsip for the motive power... and it is understandable from the handling/sound effects/etc.... then....

... then that would be truly awesome.... ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  5. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess I am a bit excited, but not TOO enthusiastic... I think this is a good step in the right direction and I will preorder it as soon as I can if possible, but... there are some good points made by others. It's not really the "broken proises" complaint that worries me, that's just trying to find something to complain about IMO (perfectly understandable that things are just more complicated to develop then they thought they would be, and really this is still a TSW game).

What worries me a bit is... are we not gonna get free annual updates anymore? Are they just gonna make us pay for a new game every year or three every time? Given how original DLC transfers over, they COULD have just branded this as an annual, free update... and while I understand why they didn't, still... how many "evolutions" are we going to get?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Plastic Pal

They might still do this - (minus the DLC). But it would just be a cosmetic.... Personally, I am quite happy with them clearly marking out the evolution with a minor branding change... Each approach has benefits/hang-ups... Neither approach is really substantively different from each other....

• Like Like x 1
  7. matthewbguilford

I don’t think it will become an annual thing at all. I think of this almost as a fresh start for them and I really think stepping away from TSW into TSW2 will be a good move for them and it looks like we will be receiving a better product as well. DTG could be making A LOT more money off of us if that’s all they wanted to do but I think they genuinely want to put out an awesome experience for us.

• Like Like x 5
  8. matthewbguilford

We are missing the Q&A for tsw2 guys on YouTube!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

Really enjoying the Q&A stream right now; Col. Failure is doing a good job of keeping Matt on for absolute "yes/no" answers and exact (-ish) numbers on anything listed.

• Like Like x 7
  10. raildan

Well, I'll be honest, that was a... painful stream. Some pretty bad answers about what is and isn't coming to Transport F- I mean TSW2.

BUT I do appreciate the honesty, at least... admitting these difficult questions and answering them in a straightforward way is an improvement, even if they aren't the answers we'd like to hear.

• Like Like x 13
  11. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Agreed at least now they have realized that taking the honest approach with us is the best option rather than misleading us into false hope. I also agree that a lot of answers were hard to take and not really sure what to take from that. And having more of these Q&A streams leading up to the release of TSW2 will be great.

• Like Like x 7
  12. raildan

Wait...

If we can't use TSW2020 locos on TSW2 routes... then how is the GP40-2 gonna work? Is it only gonna be driveable on NEC?

(...to be fair, it was always kinda uselessly similar to the GP38-2 and SD40-2, it never really made sense as a first loco DLC, and I won't miss it... but I did spend about $10 on it)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Useless to you, maybe. But don't forget it's like any other add-ons (with scenarios and wagons included) and I would hate to see it be missed as part of the preserved collection (as in won't work with the new Heavy Haul). Hopefully, this topic would come up and be cleared up in the later Q&A streams.

• Like Like x 4
  14. raildan

I wasn't saying I would PREFER it to disappear, and I know other people like it better, so it ABSOLUTELY is still an important question, yes. It would be really disappointing if that doesn't work out.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

That's a damn good question actually and I hope Sam sees it and adds it to the next Q&A

I will take a guess and say seeing as though it was HH DLC it will part of the base TSW2 'native' content...but it would be nice to get official confirmation

• Like Like x 5
  16. ShaneS89

ShaneS89 Active Member

To be honest I didn’t expect the old locos to work on the new routes. The core update probably changed some stuff that’s important (I don’t know much about the UE4 engine) but the biggest problem will probably be the adhesion physics. And if it’s anything like modding racing games they’ll have to re code every loco to get them to work again, which is incredibly time consuming.

Let’s be realistic here though, nothing major has changed graphics wise.

So they’ve got 11 BR era Diesel’s and 10 or so DB locos with perfectly usable 3D models that can be updated like the CSX stuff was, which is probably a lot faster and easier than doing the whole route.

My guess is that the first few route dlc’s will probably have 1 all new loco and 1 or 2 TSW1 locos updated to TSW2. Probably starting with the BR185 and maybe the HST for a uk route.

• Like Like x 7
  17. raildan

Still wondering about that "high speed- a major focus for this year" line in the FAQ. I speculate that we're going to see a high speed route for the other two regions also- specifically, as a complete guess, some part of the NEC for the US (focusing on the high speed aspect like with KS and leaving commuter trains behind, maybe for a loco DLC). Either New York - Trenton or Boston - Providence (less likely, let's be honest). For the British side of things, something with an HST, and probably during British Rail era.... somewhere, IDK. Probably not just GWML again, but who knows.

Drifring off the unlikely end, the list of possible routes that were voted on a few years ago included Köln - Aachen, but also the Hokkaido Shinkansen... they clearly like the flashy publicity of modeling famous trains, and this is really the only Shinkansen route they can really do, so... it doesn't seem impossible.

Of course, all of this speculation will come to an end during the week of July 31st...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I hope for more Amtrak trains. I really want a P42DC.

• Like Like x 4
  19. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Wait, where does it say that? From what I heard in the stream, Matt confirmed TSW 2020 dlc won’t work on TSW 2 routes. For example if u have the GP40-2 add on u can’t use it in HH on consoles. Or if u have HRR or RRO u can’t use the BR 422/425 on the ICE route. Unless I misheard it, I was planning on buying the GP40-2 but then after thinking that it’ll be a useless purchase I was starting to plan on buying other dlc.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. Anthony Pecoraro

That's correct.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

NY-Trenton would be 58 miles, which seems to be in the ballpark for route length, and you could also have Amtrak NE Regional and NJT Commuter rail. New Brunswick to Philly 30th St is the same length and I think it would be slightly more interesting, but the SEPTA license would be a big issue to avoid half the route being empty.

Who knows though, with all the lost ridership revenue over the past few months, maybe licenses will become more easily available?

• Like Like x 2
  22. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

With the updated UI coming in TSW2, I am hoping a rolling profile of the upcoming route as seen in TS1 is implemented.

ie
    [​IMG]

One of my main annoyances with the TSW2020 HUD is not being able to see what the track speed limit is after the next one.
    When there are multiple speed changes within a short space of time...the TSW2020 UI just falls apart in that regard.

• Like Like x 5
  23. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Ooh, I wouldn’t want that cartoony thing on my screen. I’m all for seeing the next but one speed limit change but I only require a speed and a distance to it in figures under the next speed limit change, not something that takes up half the screen!

• Like Like x 5
  24. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I agree it doesn't need to take up the amount of screen real estate like the TS1 one does...just something compact showing the upcoming speed changeS (as opposed to just 2 even). The way Diesel Railcar Simulator does it is great imo

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  25. Plastic Pal

I agree - I actually think the TSW HUD is one of the very few areas where TSW is better than TS1, particularly the way the gradient is marked with a clearly visible number (with direction up/down), and the distance to objective is also in a font that is clearly visible (compared to TS1). The upcoming speed limits (in TS1) in the yellow boxes are also very difficult to read - unless you play the game on a PC at a desk, with the monitor right in your face.

The train length indicator (in TS1) can sometimes be useful.... but I am worried that the whole TS1 HUD will be transferred into TSW (for the longer CSX:HH trains).... that would not be a good thing, in my opinion, unless it could also be switched off.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  26. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I highly doubt they would overhaul the whole HUD to a worse one, I think they know very well in which aspects the TSW HUD is better than the TS1 one. Though a train length indicator really would be useful sometimes. Maybe a system similar to certain train systems IRL, where you push a button and it counts down until you've moved forward your whole length of the train.

Though now that I think about it, it's pretty useless if you play with the HUD, as it'll already show you if your train's end has passed a speed limit on the speedo.

• Like Like x 3
  27. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

I wonder what country that next route will be

• Like Like x 1
  28. Anthony Pecoraro

I think US.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Dinosbacsi

I suppose we well also see more canadian routes in the future as well, considering they already have the CN licence now. Though I would really like it if they offered something else.

• Like Like x 2
  30. raildan

CN routes can be in the US, too. The whole North American rail network is actually quite interconnected, and CN actually owns track all the way down to New Orleans, on the other side of the country from the Canadian border.

But personally, I think the next US route would actually be the NEC again- something like New York - Trenton. It would probably come with a TSW2 upgraded ACS-64 and an Acela, with NJT stuff as DLC. Reason I'm saying this is the TSW2 FAQ says that high speed will be "a key focus for this year," which to me suggests more high speed routes.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  31. Dinosbacsi

Well a "proper" NEC route would be nice, as the current one is kinda lame. Short, no content and full of bugs.

• Like Like x 2
  32. raildan

Yeah, NEC:New York makes NO sense and tbh it never did, even without the bugs... the endpoints just don't make sense

IMO starting a technically new game is the perfect opportunity to rebuild it, they can even reuse the entire section between Sunnyside Yard and Newark Liberty (although hopefully with bug fixes).

• Like Like x 3
  33. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Totally agree regarding end points. They should have either gone:
    NYP/West Side yard to points North/East

or Sunnyside/NYP to points South/West

As it is, you have this big slow zone (essentially) right in the center of the route, and it just kills any kind of pacing.

Hopefully will be a lesson learned for the inevitable TSW2 reboot of NEC.

• Like Like x 3
  34. Dinosbacsi

Well they could get themselves together and do a proper length NEC like they did for TS1. It's funny how they could do long routes in the past, but not in the present. I get that they're more detailed in TSW and require more work, but their team is also bigger, and have much more resources, and much better technology.

• Like Like x 3
  35. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

Hopefully NOT Germany it already has like 6 routes. In the UK there's always enough potential for new routes. Or moving on to new countries like in central and southern europe would also be welcome. As it's called TrainSimWORLD...

• Like Like x 2
  36. Anthony Pecoraro

As in world of train simulation.

• Like Like x 4
  37. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Train Sim World of Train Sim 2021...... maybe that should have been the name of the new game coming out in August :P

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  38. raildan

Actually, the number of routes released for each "region" so far is identical - 5 routes in North America, 5 routes in the UK, and 5 routes in Germany. TSW2 brings the UK and Germany up to 6, but things are still pretty close.

I'm guessing that some of the "too much German content" stuff like this is because it feels more repetitive with only one operator? I have to admit myself that I got a bit tired of red and haven't bought a German DLC since the BR 155... but still, I feel like it's a bit undeserved to think that DTG's producing a disproportionate amount of German content, they're not.

• Like Like x 6
  39. Anthony Pecoraro

I think the US will be next. TSW2 is coming with a new German and UK route, so I think the first route DLC will be a US one.

• Like Like x 3
  40. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

The weird endpoints on NEC and their choice of LIRR had me convinced at the time that they had the ability and the intentions to extend or join routes. Later on it seemed like it had never even been considered or even possible.

I wonder if TSW2 is intended to solve that issue.

• Like Like x 2
  41. raildan

I was pretty sure of that also, because in the game files it's reffered to as "New York core" or something like that, I don't remember. It's very clear that this was the plan at some point, but only LIRR ever came out since they couldn't extend routes.

And, yeah... I agree with Anthony here, actually- at this point I'm gonna even go as far as saying that NEC: New York - Trenton, specifically, is most likely to be the first DLC for TSW2 based off all this guesswork.

• Like Like x 5
  42. railway12

I think we all agree the the UK is the motherland of railway so it deserves MORE routes. The USA is huge so many possibilities, but germany I can't think of a reason ... doing 6 routes for it.

• Like Like x 3
  43. Firehero

Firehero New Member

Why? Germany has a very large rail network and is very diverse.

• Like Like x 2
  44. railway12

This argument applies to nearly 50 other countries.

• Like Like x 2
  45. Firehero

Firehero New Member

Yes, that's right. USA and Germany are in the top 10 the largest rail network.

• Like Like x 2
  46. Plastic Pal

There are only a few countries in the world where railway modelling is a long established industry (with model manufacturers), and where a reasonably large amount of the population are still interested, and the three largest active markets are the US, the UK and Germany. Japan also has a huge market, and there is some representation of Japanese railways in TS1 (but not much) - I find it strange that Japan is not covered in TSW, at all. Other countries such as Canada, France, Italy and Switzerland also have a traditional following.... but after that, there aren't many other obvious traditional markets. Digital content is, of course, very different in nature to model railways.... so it doesn't have to follow the same pattern.... but that is what they have (presumably) found works best for TS1/TSW.....

• Like Like x 1
  47. railway12

Yes but still they could make new countries unless they want to be called USA-UK-Germany World. A bit more variety would be appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  48. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

I still think that some of the current TSW2020 routes will be remastered for TSW2, with maybe a few extra bits to "justify" selling them again with slightly different names as "new" DLC'S.

Why would you not use something that's already part done? Even the considerable amount of work DTG has said would be required is surely still less work than creating a whole route from ground up. They have already said that some work has to be done on them to make them compatible for the "Preserved Collection", so the ground work has begun.

These will be supplemented with new routes that they have either been working on or that are just beginning development.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Plastic Pal

I am not quite cynical enough to believe that you will see any TSW2020 routes re-appearing in TSW2 with minor tweaks, as "new routes".... anytime soon..... although maybe that is what they have done with CSX:HH.... ;-O

That said, I think CSX:HH will be an exception - but I do agree with your general point.... we will no doubt see some remastered routes from TS1 appear in TSW2, just as we have seen TS1 (and Railworks) material appearing in TSW (as GWE, WSR, and bits of TVL...).

• Like Like x 1
  50. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Aw come on, I remember 78s, vinyl records, 4 track tapes, in-car record players, dial up internet connections, floppy disks, rotary phones, when people smoked cigarettes in airplanes, doctors recommended menthol cigarettes to soothe the throat but not what I had for breakfast.

• Like Like x 3