Editing A Scenario

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pookeyhead, Jun 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Hi,

Is it possible to edit a career mode scenario? I'm trying to change a loco, and the weather in a WCML Over Shap scenario, and I'm having real trouble. I cloned it first, so I'm not breaking anything, but I'm having trouble getting the loco options to even work in the editor. I'm trying to replace the class 87 with a Class 86 so I can use the AP enhanced version. My thinking was I can replace the 87 with a class 86/1 to maintain the same speeds, but I can't even edit the loco number, or anything else when I put the loco in... then the train instructions move randomly and I can't get them back in place... it's a right mess. Also, when I change the weather the scenario crashes.

I've done this with WCML North scenarios (career) with no issue... is there something about WCML Over Shap that's different?

Thanks.

ps. Also... When I change the loco number of the default 87, the number changes, but the nameplate stays the same. The scenario I'm trying to edit uses 87025 (Borderer) but when I change it to for example, 87027, it remains Borderer instead of Wolf of Badenoch.

2. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Have you tried using RW Tools? I'm not proficient with it enough to take you through it on here but there's videos on YouTube that make it look relatively straightforward.

3. Pookeyhead

No.. I'm just using the built in scenario editor in the "build" menu. I'll check it out. Thanks.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Easiest way I've seen of doing this in the editor is you plonk the new unit next to the old, hold CTRL and drag the driver icon from one loco to the other, this copies all the instructions over.
    Delete the old loco and then move the new one into position and hope that the dispatcher doesn't mess the timings up too much

Not sure if the loco you're talking about uses code to change the plates or another mechanism. You might need to change more than just the number

5. Pookeyhead

Yeah... done this. The instructions never go back in the same place and the scenario doesn't work. I've done what you suggest with scenarios on the WCML North route, and it works fine... just the WCML Over Shap is causing an issue.

All locos behave like this in the WCML Over Shap. The CLass 86 with AP enhancement pack allows you to edit all manner of things, such as train heating pipes, warning stickers, numbers, names, liveries... all work fine in WCML North, but drop it into WCML Over Shap, and they just don't work... not does anything else if I edit it.

This is why I'm asking if a career scenario cannot be changed in TS2020. The WCML North is an older scenario that Over Shap.... has something changed?

6. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I don't know about editing career scenarios, there might be something blocking you from doing it. There is a way of changing a career to a standard scenario although I have never done it.

I use the same method as ARuscoe for swapping stock, I have never had a problem and I have done it on WCML Over Shap though in my own created timetabled scenarios.

7. Pookeyhead

The weird thing is, I think it's something specifically with WCML Over Shap. The scenarios for this route don't even show up in TS Tools to be edited. All other routes show up fine... all scenarios, career or otherwise. In fact, TS Tools colour codes them for you so you know which is which, but when I load WCML Over Shap into TS Tools, NO scenarios show up... not even the non-career ones. All that shows up are the Time Tabled scenarios that came with the AP Class 86 Enhancement pack.

Can someone else with that route and TS Tools replicate this? Is they can't, Maybe I need to delete it, and re-download it from Steam or something. Everything works fine though... no errors, crashes, nothing. I just can't edit anything in WCML Over Shap.

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Normally TSTools does not see inside *.ap files
    Look in railworks\Content\Routes\ce4052d1-669a-4529-b16b-1972fc32913a
    And extract the contents of the MainContent.ap file and TS Tools will see the Scenarios

When you swap a loco that has a name double click on the locos number and a pop-up box appears
    Sometimes there is an extra letter after the number to define which nameplate appears.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Can confirm, if you want to scan the scenario database you have to extract all of them from the .ap files, and if you want to change a loco in a scenario you need to unpack the loco from the .ap file containing it. You can run processes to pull both automatically, though this can easily add dozens of GB to your hard drive depending on the size of your DLC archive, so it might be a better idea to unpack everything to a storage folder and keeping that off the computer, loading it in when you make any changes.

10. ARuscoe

This is true. TStools doesn't look inside .ap files
    Don't think this is necessarily true. You need to unpack the scenario file to edit it but you should be able to address the loco directly through various means, even if not in TSTools which would need to see the unpacked loco to list it.

11. Cyclone

Yes, you can edit directly in the game's scenario editor, but what if the loco is not in your collection? You need to go to Ts-Tools as the loco will not even load otherwise and everything will be gone for it. Unless that just turns into a ghost train that you can edit.

12. ARuscoe

Or you can serz out the bin to an XML, edit that directly and then serz it back again
    Depends on how badly you want to do what you want to do

13. Pookeyhead

Thanks Peter, that was very helpful!

14. Cyclone

If you'd like you can go back and hit the wrench on his post to mark it as helpful. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pookeyhead

Oops! I always forget that :) Done.

• Like Like x 1