Ts 2020 64 Bit Freezing Badly

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by treid09, Jul 1, 2020.

1. treid09

treid09 Guest

Hello, I don't know if anyone has experienced this problem, but TS keeps freezing for me in 64 bit. 32 bit, however, runs perfect. Sometimes it crashes within seconds, other times it happens later. For instance, I ran the highly performance demanding FEF-3 on Sherman Hill and had zero issues for several minutes until I went to free roam view and panned the camera on a passing freight. Then, the sim froze. Each time it happens, it is bad enough that task manager won't even work; I have to sign out of Windows 10 just to get the sim to shut down. I reinstalled the game, verified files, cleared cache, etc. I also had no third-party DLC installed. Also, this isn't the common "out of memory" problem, just a hard crash. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. God bless.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I don't know if it might help but it seems to be helping me
    Try reinstalling DirectX
    In Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\DXSETUP.exe.
    I think an update to Windows has overwritten some of these files as it reinstalled quite a few of the older DX files

Peter

3. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

If this is a recent issue that's just started it could be caused by a number of things. Most typically is related to excessive memory use and/or could be related to a recent Windows or driver update. Given you've been unable to start Task Manager, it is likely to be due to memory overload possibly either caused by a Windows update, an application you have running in the background or even a device driver. Try a Clean Boot to see if you get the same issue: https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/265/0/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot

If you get the same issue when clean booted, you know it's not a background application and is more likely to be a device or driver you recently updated/installed or Windows itself. Start by going through re-installing the required dependencies paying particular attention to the 64-bit specific ones: https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Kn...dependencies-for-train-simulator-2012-to-2020

For Windows, if you've got the latest Win10 2004 build, suggest reverting to 1909. You can do this easily by going to Windows Update Recovery Settings and selecting "Go back to the previous version of Windows 10". To do this press Windows Key + i or click Settings from the Start Menu, then Update & Security, and finally Recovery. Just follow the on-screen instructions. Note you won't be able to do this if you no longer have the necessary files on your PC.

Hope this helps.

Best, Steve

4. treid09

treid09 Guest

Hi Peter,
    Sorry for not replying until now, haven't had much time for TS lately. I reinstalled DirectX and it helped very much, it even fixed an odd stutter the game had. Thanks much and God bless.

treid09

5. treid09

treid09 Guest

Hi Steve,
    I apologize for the long wait on replying, thank you for these tips. I decided to try reinstalling TS first and turns out it worked! I had actually tried reinstalling before, but for some reason it worked this time (as well as Peter's DirectX tip above.) Again, sorry for the wait and thanks again for your help. God bless

• Like Like x 1
  6. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi treid09,

Great to hear you're back up and running, and the problem is solved!

Best, Steve