Gwe: Routing Shenanigans

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AlexNL, Oct 15, 2017.

1. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

Just now I finished driving the 2H18 service from Reading to Henley-on-Thames (depart Reading 8:10, arrive Twyford 8:17). I noticed some interesting routing choices by the dispatcher, which made this short run to become extremely tight.

- After leaving Reading from platform 13, after signal T1694 my train was routed to the up slow line (as I would expect).
    - After passing T1676, the train was routed onto the up fast line
    - It was then routed back onto the up slow line after passing signal T1646,
    - It then arrived in Twyford on platform 4 (reversing for HoT).
    - During this short run, I encountered the following speed limits: 25 - 40 - 90 - 40 - 125 - 40 - 90

While it was an interesting drive, I don't think a real life signaller would send trains along this route. They'd be sent along the 'up slow' route all the way as there's no need to use the crossovers.

2. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

Something similar happens with 2N16 (Paddington -> Reading): from Maidenhead to Twyford it runs over the slow lines, after Twyford it's routed onto the Down Fast and just before Reading the train is routed back onto the Down Slow so it can arrive at platform 12.

3. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

The 66 services to this a lot. And they shouldn't go on the fast line ever, much less for a couple of signal blocks then back again.

4. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

+1 I've become used to be being diverted to the fast line after Twyford and then back to the slow line on approach to Reading,

• Like Like x 1
  5. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

Another one: 2P55 from Reading to Paddington. After stopping at Hayes and Harlington, the train is routed onto the fast lines and is sent back to the relief lines at the crossovers before Ealing Broadway.

6. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Just finished a service in the Class 66; had green lights all the way to Maidenhead but at Maidenhead station I was suddenly confronted with a single solid yellow and a feather indicator. At no point was I given a solid, or flashing, double yellow to warn me of this. I found myself having to engage the brakes quite strongly to slow down for the 40mph crossover... which I failed to do.

Ended up moving slowly on the fast line trying to speed up again. About two stations later I encounter a solid double yellow and eventually cross back onto the slow lanes. Interestingly enough there was a Class 166 being held on red waiting for me to clear the line. At no point did I pass any traffic whilst on the fast line, nothing to suggest why I crossed over there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

What service? So i can try it :)

8. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

4L58 Bristol Terminal to Felixstowe North.

9. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

Will try it tomorrow.

10. BenDragon81037

BenDragon81037 Member

I thought that Fregiht trains were diverted onto the fast lines because of a missing section of track.