Next Gen Opportunity?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Lightspeed, Jun 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

Since the new Xbox series X and PS5 are both releasing this year and both have some serious upgrades inside them (especially the Series X). Surely the developers at dovetail would use the advantage of the new consoles and craft longer routes for consoles and put more detail in scenery along the routes? Should be able to do it, surely. Plus with the new Unreal Engine 5 coming out soon, TSW would look beautiful!

Also I don’t know if this hasn’t been posted before on here, if so then, sorry! Just curious guys!

• Like Like x 2
  2. TrainSim_Fan

TrainSim_Fan Well-Known Member

Longer and more detailed routes are possible.............but this would mean DTG would get less money and they would get it less often. AKA.........NO!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

DTG have said many times, route length has nothing to do with the game running on console. As Trainsim_Fan has said, it would take more time to make a longer route. So they would be released less often. DTG have said that as they find more efficient ways to build routes faster, then there is very possibility that the routes will get longer.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

In addition to that unfortunately UE5 isn't going to be released very soon.
    What we saw was a tech demo, Epic is stating a release not before the end of 2021.

Given that and surely a vast amount of time needed to upgrade current games to UE5 (even if some backwards compatibility has been stated) it's not unlikely that we will see UE5 running not before TSW4...

5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

What does the Xbox Series X that the PS5 doesn’t? As far as I’m aware, they are more or less on an even keel - although the PS5 has the optimised, SSD.

6. TrainSim_Fan

TrainSim_Fan Well-Known Member

The Xbox2 has a enhanced processor and graphics card, other then that there on the same knee.

Edit: Correct the PS5 has a better SSD.

7. Lightspeed

The PS5 has more exclusive games for it though, compared to Xbox series X. But that may change when Xbox does a livestream to show off some exclusives of their own later on this month.

8. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Well, I'm just gonna say this:
    -For one; console limitation isn't the reason why there aren't longer routes. This is mostly because of the Time it takes to create a route from DTG.
    -Two; pretty sure they're just gonna stick to the current gen of consoles (XB1 and PS4) for the time being. (Unless they planned a TSW3 down the pipeline)
    -And three; highly doubt there gonna do enhancements for the One X or 4 Pro. They already optimized SPG since it was resource intensive in the first place. Hence why it was on PC for a long time.
    So I say, in my own opinion, don't hold your breath on quality improvements, especially on graphics. As it's better to have performance than to have your console crash every single time you start up a route.
    Unless someone wants to prove me wrong here. If so, have at it.

Note: And to my point of this, is that it's gonna be a looong time to be seeing the next upgrades to the next gen of consoles, with a new engine alongside it. If they want to I'm betting. Until then, TSW2 is gonna be as it is for the time being.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  9. Lightspeed

Hmmm... I thought that the PC can handle longer routes for a while, then I discovered it was not the reason why some routes are short as of late. Even with a fairly powerful gaming PC, it can struggle a bit like on NTP.

Plus making content that is compatible with consoles is no easy thing to do, especially if you’re been making stuff for PC for the last I dunno... 10 years? Well I greatly appreciate what DTG have done with TSW so far and I’m looking forward to what TSW 2 has to offer when it rolls out.

Also I don’t what’s gonna happen when the PS5 comes out and Sony switches off the servers for the PS4 though. I know that Microsoft is doing like a cross generational thing with Smart Delivery, where your Xbox games still work on a newer console than making a jump to the next gen.

10. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Nextgen comes at end of 2020 (early 2021) of course. But the point is when the sofware houses stops to build games for current-gen consoles. Or in othet words, we will can see a really nexgen TSW only when a significant part of customers will replace current console with a nextgen one. Probably around the 2022 or 2023.

But probably with the nexgen consoles finally we will can see also a TSW editor.