Cool As Ice Article Misleading

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by stujoy, Jul 14, 2020.

1. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The newest Dovetail Live article about the ICE route has one of the artist impression pictures as its main picture but this is not labelled as such. Somebody who reads that article is going to think that the picture is a screenshot of the game. It has the TSW2 logo on the picture. This is highly misleading.

Considering Dovetail’s new honest approach, this picture should be clearly labelled as an artist’s impression and not passed off as in-game material by the omission of such information.

https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/articles/article/tsw2-cool-as-ice

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

I had to double take before realising it's the artistic impression of the route! Agree with you there

• Like Like x 2
  3. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Trailer video looks many more realistic than the "gta" cartoon-style of the header imagine (off course, except for the passengers along the platform).

4. Paulo_1997

Paulo_1997 Active Member

I don't see a problem here...
    Nearly every game advertises with pictures or videos where the graphic is unrealistically good. As long as we don't get pictures like this only and that is not the case so far.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

The important thing is not what it looks like in-game, or how it plays, but what the marketing looks like. If the marketing materials are appealing, then that really is all that matters. The important questions are:

- Has the marketing execution been "highly creative"...? YES it has (the real game will look nothing like this).
    - Does the marketing align with the Company's strategic marketing goals? YES it does (see above)..
    - Will player acquiistion be supported if the passengers appear better than they do in the real game? YES it will, probably. If not, then some more marketing will fix that.
    - Can this part of the marketing exercise be counted and evaluated against the marketing metrics and targets? YES it can. It's one small part of a VERY BIG marketing number.
    - How does the marketing of TSW2 compare to competitor marketing? People are talking about it, so YES it is fabulous. It doesn't matter if the talk is negative, as Gerald Ratner used to say - "there is no such thing as bad publicity".....!

I think that you will find that with respect to the only things that matter about TSW2, that TSW2 has already been a fantastic success - because the marketing has been top class. And to be fair to DTG - if they have got the marketing right, then you can't really expect them to do anything more than that.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Purely as an aside, and I hate to be picky... but the following text seems a bit wrong to me:

"German Railway Technology often leads the way in new and innovative design, the two multiple units included in this route are no different."

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Talent 2 is.... um..... Canadian Technology..... Built by Bombardier....?

---------------------------
    On a more positive note - I thought that the video showed a surprising amount of detail of the town centre in Cologne. If that is also lit up at night, then it could genuinely look quite fantastic.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 3