PlayStation Keyboard Controls

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

So yep, having bought a small handheld keyboard to use with PS4, it’s disappointing that the brake function cannot work due to one of the buttons not being mapped. Such a shame as when running services, the handheld keyboard would be pretty cool to use all the time. Hopefully this is mapped correctly in TSW 2. The PS4 version of the game doesn’t allow keyboard remapping either so that’s knackered that idea lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Hahaha same here :D Just when you think "Aha! Watch this DTG" and whip out your new keyboard it don't work ahah

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sigy_Joe

Sigy_Joe Member

Hi, unfortunately many of us have written to report this problem and the answer for me was "sorry but if you want full commands you must use the PC version". Too bad that with the PC, if it is not suitable, it is impossible to play because of the slowdowns. So for me it came out on PS4 is a blessing! So I decided to work around the problem .. take a look here https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/my-trainsim-controller-on-ps4.23768/

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

A few weeks back I discovered that many of the PC keyboard functions that DTG lists in the route manuals also works on the bluetooth keyboard I have for my PS4. The only issue I’ve ran into so far is the issue with not being able to apply the auto brakes (using the single left open quote character), since that key doesn’t exist on many keyboards.

I also discovered that the keys listed in the route manual for many functions are simply wrong (in this case, in the Peninsula Corridor manual- might affect other manuals as well)... and because of that, I’ve since mapped out the correct keys to use for each function. I’ve got a prelim doc I can attach to this thread if anyone would like to see it... it’s a little hard to read my handwritten notes- will be transcribing all of the key info in the next few days.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Yes please.

6. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...ok guys, here’s that info I promised on the keyboard commands that seem to work in at least the Peninsula Corridor and Oakville Sub routes in TSW 2020 when using a PC-compatible keyboard with the PS4. Might also be interesting to compare the keyboard functions in the Peninsula Corridor/Oakville Sub manuals to the keyboard functions listed in the manuals for any of the EU routes, in order to track down the keys to use for EU train safety systems.

Notes:

- This list does not incl info on any Camera or HUD commands... in addition, info on Camera and HUD controls has been left out in the Caltrain ‘Baby Bullet’ and Oakville Sub manuals (not sure why, suspect this was just a mistake)
    - Any listings below with a ‘—>’ in front of them indicates this entry either has a corrected/modified name, or is an undocumented keyboard command.

P.S. If anyone gets around to testing these key commands, please let me know if these work for you or if you have any trouble with any of them.

Keyboard Commands (documented and undocumented):

Throttle Up: A
    Throttle Down: D

Auto Brake Increase: (no ‘opening single apostrophe ’ key available on kybd)
    Auto Brake Decrease: ;
    —> Indep. Brake Increase: ]
    —> Indep. Brake Decrease: [

Emer. Brake Valve: Backspace (open/close)

Reverser Forward: W
    Reverser Backward: S
    —> Reverser In/Out: CNTL-W

Headlights (Front): H (on/off)
    —> Headlights (Rear): CNTL-H (on/off)
    —> Ground/Platform Lights: K (on/off)
    Cab Lights: L
    —> Engine Rm Lights: CNTL-L
    Instrument/Gauge Lights: I (on/off)
    —> Gauge Lights Dimmer: CNTL- I (increase only)

—> Sound Horn/Bell: Space Bar
    —> Bell On/Off: B

—> Sand On/Off: X

Wind. Wipers Incr: V
    Wind. Wipers Decr: Shift-V

Alerter/ATC Reset: Q
    Alerter On/Off: Shift-Enter
    —> Warning Devices On/Off: CNTL-Enter

—> Number Lights On/Off: CNTL-K (front+rear)

—> Rear Coupler: CNTL-C (unlock/lock)
    —> Crossing Chain: C (open/close)

—> Engine Startup: Z (must manually restart?)
    —> Engine Shutdown: Shift-Z

—> Return to Cab: CNTL-0 (zero)

Flashlight On/Off: L (when walking)

Function keys:
    F1: Disable/Enable entire HUD
    F3: Enable/Disable Frame Counter

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1