Enter Building Interiors

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BenDragon81037, Oct 13, 2017.

1. BenDragon81037

BenDragon81037 Member

Wouldn't it be awesome to explore building interiors, such as the CSX maintinance workshop, or even to park locomotives in the roundhouse that accompanys the turntable?

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Too much pressure on already heavily taxed frame rates?

3. Benjwri

Benjwri Member

Again, this is a lot of work for a tiny aesthetic change, which requires loads of work, and would detract from work on other things like a new route or a new train

• Like Like x 2
  4. BenDragon81037

BenDragon81037 Member

At the minute, I feel that new trains and new routes aren't the most important thing at the minute, this is because there are many fundamental problems, such as adding featured to the existing map, fixing bugs, such as on the EWS Class 66 (It currently registers as a wagon instead of a locomotive) and CSX SD40-2 in the bright future livery (Which suffers from a problem in the engine room where the doors are linked together by a face which gets stretched across the entire engine room).

Hell, even the maps aren't that good, the map grid resolution is 1 meter and there's not much detail outside the walkable area on the CSX HH route.

So for example: on a lot of the distant mountains, you have this, what appears to be, a default green grass texture. [​IMG]
    Not to mention there are breaks in the non-animated river, such as this one:
    [​IMG]

And even despite that, there are problems with the physics as well, such as this one https://steamcommunity.com/app/530070/discussions/0/133261124634409176/

And there are similar problems on the GWE route.

Meanwhile, you just want new DLC... Whatever floats your boat I guess, I just expect the existing routes to be a little higher quality before new DLC came out.

Not to mention adding new features, such as a route editor and Multiplayer.

As for taxed framerates, are you running below the minimum specs? It may be the source for your low framerates.

One other thing, have you replaced your GPU's thermal paste & completely cleaned out the dust within the last 2 years? It may help.

But I think this detracts a lot from my opening post.

Also tiny aesthetic changes? I guess? But it would allow for a lot of scenario potential, don't you think?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

i want to drive trains.. not get to the coffee room..

• Like Like x 2
  6. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

I'd be very happy for them to address various bugs in the game and they have stated, in various places, that they are working on them.

I'm not terribly concerned about visuals outside the walkable areas on CSX or GWR for that matter as we're not supposed to be there. The more details they put into those areas the more of a hit it's going to be for everyone in terms of playability and frame-rates. There has to be a balance. It's the same in TS20xx. At the end of the day this is a train simulator and trains follow a set path so the priority has to be for the scenery close to that path to look good and everything else is just for visual flavour at a distance.

I think Cumberland has plenty of potential for scenarios as is and once the scenario tools are released we'll see that. I'm looking forward to seeing what Gary Dolzall, in particular, does with them.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BenDragon81037

BenDragon81037 Member

I didn't mention the cofeeroom, did I? Though it would be interesting for multiplayer.
    I'd agree with that, but it depends on what sort of changes we are talking about, whether it's adding model detail within buildings (Which may or may not have a noticable impact) or changing distant textures to make the visuals a bit better compared to what they are currently (Which would have little to no impact due to the fact that you're not adding any additional objects).

LIke the coffee room argument, I think rooms like these are a bit excessive due to the fact that you can't drive a train in there, I feel that this would also go for the offices which may be inside the maintenance building also.

Edit: Can we afford a bit more detail at cumberland concidering the amount of detail Dovetail have done with just outside London Paddington.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  8. Benjwri

Benjwri Member

By adding more detail you are adding lag to what is an already quite resource intensive game. New trains or route were just an example. Personally I would also prefer more close up detail than detail on something in the distance. To waste time and frames on something that people will go in once, then never go in again is madness

• Like Like x 1
  9. BenDragon81037

BenDragon81037 Member

Why not do it like in the GWE sheds then? Just empty hall?

10. Benjwri

Benjwri Member

The GWE sheds would be nice, but I was assuming you meant stations and shops

11. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Well, in the cases of loco shops, that sounds reasonable. But things that you aren't going to be driving trains into aren't really worth it. There are already tracks on the inside of depots like the Cumberland shops and roundhouse which take up some frames but can't even be seen usually.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  12. BenDragon81037

BenDragon81037 Member

Yeah, that's what I meant, I didn't mean being able to enter offices, shops and the like, I feel that would be a bit excessive at this moment of time, I only mentioned the loco shops and the roundhouse, because of the fact that locomotives can access those areas.

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 1