Class 37 Textures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pookeyhead, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Every time I download a reskin for a class 37, I get this as the result.

No cab textures.... 20200716094626_1.jpg ..and it just sits there clagging white smoke and no controls work. 20200716094636_1.jpg

The only common thing I can see, is that all the skins put files into both the RSC/SettleCarlisle and AP folders.

I'm beginning to suspect that this is yet another issue caused by having the Steam version of the Wherry lines.

I looked at the batch file that came with the last one that just failed pictures above, and there's nothing in there that gives the game away.....
    --------------------

Copy "RSC\SettleCarlisle\RailVehicles\Diesel\Class37\APWL\DRS-422\Engine\class37.GeoPcDx" "RSC\SettleCarlisle\RailVehicles\Diesel\Class37\APWL\Network_Rail\Engine"
    Copy "RSC\SettleCarlisle\RailVehicles\Diesel\Class37\APWL\DRS-422\Engine\class37.GeoPcDx" "RSC\SettleCarlisle\RailVehicles\Diesel\Class37\APWL\Network_Rail_NP\Engine"

pause
    ---------------------

It doesn't mention the AP folder, but copying everything to the assets folder as instructed has put files in the following folders:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Assets\RSC\SettleCarlisle\RailVehicles\Diesel\Class37\APWL ..where it has created two folders called Network Rail and Network RailNP respectively.

..and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Assets\AP\WherryLines\RailVehicles\Class37NR

Clearly something is telling it to look in the wrong place for cab textures, cab animations and scripts etc, but I can't work out what... or indeed where. What informs TS of the file locations? Obviously, whatever file does this, needs editing.

Every time I download a 37 reskin this happens without fail, despite following any read.me file to the letter. It's as if I have a different file structure than the person who made the reskin.

This only happens with 37 reskins, and the only thing I can think of is again... I have the Steam version of Wherry lines.

Can anyone help?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You do have a different File Structure to the person who wrote the Reskin for the Class 37
    The reskin works with the AP Wherry Lines (APWL) version of the loco.

3. Pookeyhead

It's MEANT to, yes, but as you can see, it doesn't. All three reskins for class 37s I've tried all do exactly the same thing.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You have told us you don't have the AP version of the Wherry Lines and the reskins are for that version of the Class 37

I'm not sure why that is difficult to understand?

5. Pookeyhead

[removed by Protagonist - don't flame other users]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2020
  6. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

As the Steam Wherry lines was a gift to you why not buy the AP version and save yourself and others a whole lot of bother.
    Further insults expected.
    EDIT; Or do as theorganist suggests in the post below.

• Like Like x 1
  7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

There is always the AP class 37, I don't have it yet, it is on my ever expanding list of things to purchase. I imagine it is very good. It has those liveries you want and many more besides.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

It's bloody brilliant :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. hightower

hightower Guest

I can’t see as it should matter. Yes the AP and AP Steam version of the Wherry Lines are different in a number of ways, but the 37 is based on the Settle Carlisle model and I don’t believe that that is one of the differences.

Would you mind posting a link to the reskin concerned so I/we can take a look?

ps I totally agree with Dunkerz, if you can afford it get the standalone AP 37. It knocks spots off anything else.

*Edited to add - even though you have the steam version of WL, have you installed the extra stock from the AP version? If the reskin is from Vulcan Productions you’ll almost certainly need that extra stock installed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pookeyhead

Way ahead of you :) I've just spent rather a lot in the Steam summer sale though... I need to keep a low financial profile for a bit.

I think this is more about getting it to work because it has annoyed me more than anything.. plus it was a gift, so it would be nice to keep it.

Who am I bothering? No one is obliged to reply to this if they don't want to. Stop being a drama queen.

Yes, I installed extra stock.

I can only imagine the folder structure is different, but as I don't have any other version to compare it to, I'm not sure where to move things. I think more than anything, other than someone confirming that yes it because I have the Steam version, I was hoping someone could shed some light on where the missing textures might actually be. However, all I get is Cat trying to guilt trip me for not buying the AP version, and Peter being passive aggressive (and quite condescending) as usual. The documentation that comes with the reskin in question actually states, "Requirements Reminder: AP Wherry Lines (I use the website version, I assume the Steam Version works too)" Despite this, I've still been made to feel like I'm being unreasonable for expecting it to work for some reason when the author of the re-skin suggests it probably should... and apparently I'm totally bonkers for not wanting to spend £24.99 on something I already own instead of trying to find a possible solution.

The reskin in question is this. https://heklaaurora.wixsite.com/mrdreamliner/reskins?lightbox=dataItem-jd1ucja4

I've had this identical problem with all three reskins I've tried however. It's definitely something to do with the difference between AP and Steam file structure, but as I said, I've no idea what the differences are. It's obvious something is expecting the textures to be somewhere else.

11. hightower

hightower Guest

Don’t want to ruin your day, but I’ve got the steam version of Wherry lines too. I just downloaded and installed that reskin as per the instructions & it’s working fine.

Are all your .AP files unpacked (not 100% sure that should matter but mine are). Reinstall the Wherry lines extra stock. Make sure you have all the requirements for the scenario.

Beyond that, I can only suggest trying to reinstall it again, and Settle Carlisle if needs be.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Pookeyhead

Thanks. I'll double check everything later.

Good job I didn't listen to the other two blowhards then isn't it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. hightower

hightower Guest

Indeed. I’ve never once had an issue with having the Steam version of Wherry lines. Buying both is mental.

Best of luck with it.

ps FWIW, I simply copied the Assets & Content folders into Railworks and ran the .bat file. I didn’t use the mess that is utilities. It told me 2 geos had been copied.

14. Pookeyhead

...in fact... I'm going nuclear: I'm gonna hose my entire TS install. Do a fresh install from steam, and before I install ANY 3rd party DLC, or anything else, try to reskin that 37 again. It it STILL fails... then I've no idea why yours works and mine doesn't.

15. Pookeyhead

That's exactly what I did, yes.

16. theorganist

Thought it would be. Be good if they did a class 47 to the same standard!

17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Why do you insult anybody who tries to help you?

18. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

19. Pookeyhead

Statler & Waldorf.

20. Pookeyhead

All sorted now... thanks for the help.

21. dunkrez

For reference, here's the AP 37....

The audio and visual detail of this model are bordering on perfectionism.

• Like Like x 2
  22. theorganist

It is now discounted to £15.99 in the sale, I was going to get it full price but now it's on sale I might as well get it sooner than I intended.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Pookeyhead

I fully intend to get it. I just like to know why things don't work... fix them... learn.... and move on. I don't think some people appreciate that.

24. Pookeyhead

Except the Network Rail livery :)

25. theorganist

Ah okay, I had forgot there were some in Network Rail livery.

26. dunkrez

AP sales... just not enough products to buy :)

27. hightower

hightower Guest

Apologies for the channel plug, but it’s really worth it. Can’t recommend it enough...

• Like Like x 3
  28. theorganist

I will be purchasing it this evening.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Pookeyhead

Just bought it. :love:

• Like Like x 2
  30. dunkrez

Haha, enjoy :)

• Like Like x 1
  31. Pookeyhead

Well.. it is Vol.1 As we saw with the class 319... there's probably more to come.

• Like Like x 1
  32. hightower

hightower Guest

Good, isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  33. theorganist

From what I have seen so far it is very good. Have been running a Regional Railways one along the North Wales Coast. I notice it is another collaboration between Master Key and Armstrong Powerhouse, I wonder if a class 47 may indeed emerge at some point, as some time ago it was mentioned on the Master Key site but I can't access their site now or their Facebook page.

I would imagine the next pack would be a pre-refurbished pack but I may be wrong.

34. Pookeyhead

35. dunkrez

I do believe that a MKS 47 model may already be in existence.

• Like Like x 1
  36. theorganist

Okay interesting. Do you mean as in released (so presumably the DTG VT pack) or as in it exists but isn't available yet?

37. dunkrez

This is pure speculation, but up until recently MKS had a home page, featuring what looked like a 47.

The Virgin Trains Pack featuring the nice 47 was released Nov 2017.
    The NTP TSW pack was released December 2018.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

38. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Normally when a model is released with a Third Party a Credit in the Manual is shown - like in the Class 460
    No credit is shown in the VT Manual apart from the usual staff

Peter

39. theorganist

I hadn't considered TSW but I got the distinct impression it was for TS1, still I could be wrong.

As Peter says surely there would be some mention of them as a developer if they had developed the TSW one!

40. dunkrez

True.

But the 460 is literally one of the best models available for TS, and MKS were working on a 47... no way that evaporated :)

41. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

The Virgin Trains 47/8, and by extension the one that came with Welsh Marches, was a heavily upgraded version of the Kuju model with a new cab and other features. From a post on the now-deleted MKS Facebook page, they said that the 47 model they had been working on was the one in TSW, and that it was unlikely now that it would come to TS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. theorganist

Oh okay, I stand corrected, thanks. That's a great shame and very disappointing.

Although there are some great reskins, the original Kuju model feels very old inside. The Virgin one was a lot better but of course the reskins of that are all of later models, not for say 1970's examples.

It would have been good to have a comprehensive class 47 pack or packs, like the class 37 where all the liveries are in one place and of the same quality.

Does anyone know why MKS Facebook pages has gone and the website, are they winding down or just working for other third parties now?

43. Pookeyhead

Talking of Welsh Marches... that's another one impossible to get now. Why did Bossman stop selling it? Was that a branding thing too?

44. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  45. theorganist

That's good news as it is a cracking route. Hopefully they will do the same with North Wales Coast as that too is an excellent route.

I know a lot of people like realistic branding, personally I wish they would do what they have done with WCML Over Shap and have station furniture and equipment in a plain unbranded state, that way you can use the route easier for any (recentish) era. I tend to ignore the era anyway unless major changes have occurred.

I wonder if their forthcoming Cotswold line will be branded, I hope not.

46. Pookeyhead

47. Pookeyhead

You can skin stuff yourself... or someone else will. So long as the route is available.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Out of interest, what stock came with it?

49. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

Thanks so much for posting this great news - it really has made my week. Now, if there can be a re-release of a rebranded South Wales Coastal all the way to Swansea...