PC Class 20 Throttle Sounds

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by eurocityboy, Jul 19, 2020.

1. eurocityboy

eurocityboy Active Member

I bought the Class 20 today and I really like it. However, I find it hard to drive to any length of time due to the extremely loud, high-pitched screech when throttling down. I don't know to what extent this sound is prototypical, but in the game it's louder than the engine and louder than break squeal. Surely, in the real world, this would have been fixed on the spot with a drop of oil? I'd consider this a sound bug. The screech/squeal when throttling down should be reduced in volume by at least half.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Load any scenario or service with the Class 20.
    2. Throttle up to full throttle (or any position higher than "On")
    3. Throttle down and observe extreme loudness of screech/squeal.

I screech is so high-pitched that some people might have trouble hearing it. Maybe it went unnoticed during tests?

2. Deimenried

Deimenried Member

I always thought this was intentional. The class 20 is a very early diesel-electric, and the "whistling" was common in these types of British locomotives (see Class 40).

Sounds more like a pressure release than friction, but I could be wrong.

3. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "during tests"......? ;-O

Oh... you think that someone actually tested the Class 20 before selling it.....? Okay...... Well, it is a nice idea. But if anyone had tested the Class 20 then they would have made sure that the marker lights were more visible from a distance outside the locomotive... and at least more visible than the hotplate.... ;-O

You actually have to use the light from the on-board cooking appliance to find your Class 20 loco in the dark.....

4. eurocityboy

It's not the whistling sound that I mean. It's also definitely not a pressure release. It's an extremely high-pitched metal-on-metal screech when reducing the throttle. The sound emanates directly from the throttle lever, not the motor. It's so high-pitched some people might to be able to hear it, but it's painfully loud (way louder than the motor itself).

5. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

I can reproduce this sound - and it is triggered whenever you reduce the throttle. And you can be at a stand-still and in engine-only to reproduce it - so it is not the brakes. Certainly the throttle (power).

But.... I would say... that it sounds like air being forced in a broken whistle, or at extremely high pressure that is defeating a valve.... as opposed to a metal-on-metal screech - and it attenuates just like when the pressure behind an air flow is reduced. Presumably there is some sort of air-powered line that controls the throttle.

I actually quite like the sound, but I would agree that it seems very loud compared to the diesel engines. Maybe the compressor is located in or near the cab, and is perfectly authentic. The guy that made the Class 20 knows his stuff... although he is not so hot on marker-lights and marker-disks....

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. eurocityboy

To my ears, it sounds more like metal-on-metal, but maybe it's my headphones that make it sound like that. Chances are the sound itself is prototypical, but I'm guessing if it's louder than the engine and full rev, it needs to be tuned down in volume just a tad. I don't mind it being there, but at it's present volume it's getting on my nerves quite a bit.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1