Canada National Senario Hamilton Explorer(free Roam?)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SHINO BAZ, Jul 19, 2020.

1. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

I know this route has a free roam option but if possible is there a map that shows how area is available on this route for free roam?Because i heard theres parts of the map with track you can't even walk near or into.

2. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

The area you can explore in the ‘Hamilton Explorer’ free-roam scenario is (unfortunately) restricted to the industrial sectors area near Hamilton, where all of the small and some larger yards are located. Not everything in this area is accessible either... DTG has since updated the in-game map to reflect the areas you can actually get to.

I’ve spent a fair amount of time in Hamilton Explorer putting some long unit-trains together there (incl trains with functional helper units), which I really enjoyed. I just wish I could take them out on the mainline and access the other end of the route in Oakville. DTG crippled this scenario IMO in terms of how much you can actually explore... and that’s unlikely to change at this point.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  3. SHINO BAZ

So everything below the red dot is the area you can free roam in?Is any of the non accessible track in this area as well?What has dtg used to show accessable areas?Any chance you might have a screen cap of this area from the routes in game map?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  4. Stockton Rails

...here’s a pic of the current Hamilton Explorer route map, showing only what you can now access. I’m still trying to track down a pic of the original route map that showed many more tracks (none of which you can access)... once I track that down, will add that to this thread for historical reference.

5DBBBB7D-4FB7-49F0-AFBF-8B3C0A1F36BB.jpeg

5. SHINO BAZ

Check out a youtube channel ( Hentis Rail ) He has several shots of the map in his video about the tsw2020 OSD route.
    Video titled( Train Sim World-Canadian National Oakville SUB dlc stream ) at 12:07 you'll see the area as original seen before it had unuseable area removed. Video posted 4 months ago.

• Like Like x 1
  6. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Yes hentis rail he is a nice person he actually talked about that portion being removed in one of his live stream's a few weaks ago.I wonder why DTG romoved that part of the sub

7. Stockton Rails

...thanks much for the tip on the video- I actually just tracked down a pic of the original Hamilton Explorer route map in another video before I saw your note.

2CD19BC0-AF51-4D3F-8EED-3F216605D766.jpeg

8. SHINO BAZ

I think dtg removed it because since you couldn't use it with or with out trains,it was considered misleading to have all those extra areas of track on the map if you couldn't use them.

9. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Yeah now that makes total sense but they wasted there time making that section of track

10. SHINO BAZ

Isn't that line on the very bottom the main rail line?I saw another video that showed that Hamilton yards free roam area cuts you off near the main line switch acsess area.

11. Stockton Rails

This is exactly right... they updated the route map because it previously showed all of this track on it that was inaccessible to the player and could not be used. But... when they cleaned up the map, they also left out a small section of track (and the switch for it) that is actually usable and needed to access one of the small yards. This track and switch still exists in the scenario... but the map no longer shows it unfortunately- and without the switch shown on the map, you can no longer set the switch from the map.

12. SHINO BAZ

Nothing new for dtg.if you have rapid transit it has huge amounts of extra unused track areas.Just look at msb dock area if rivet game hadn't steped up and made the db br 204 that would have been another area with extra track that could have ended up pointless.

Wow i just had to do a double take the center wasn't the only area to lose track,the area to the right of the tankcar sidings lost alot of track as well.

I been thinking about getting this route and any free roam option is a plus,but after seeing this i'll wait for a sale,before buying.O and since i'm on xbox it will very likely be a bleeping long wait.

13. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Yep I originally had TSW2018 I was wondering what used the track for rapid transit but If you notice the turntable in the route you can't go to it but in real life the table can store many trains

14. Stockton Rails

No kidding... I guess I’m not surprised. I understand why they made the route map changes in the Explorer scenario- just wish the work they did on it wasn’t so sloppy (leaving off sections of track and switches on the map that still exist in the scenario).

Another example: I discovered another switch connected to a section of unusable track that they left off of the map as well... and this switch points to this inaccessible section of track by default at the start of the scenario. Great way to cause derailments if folks are unaware... like me during one of my Explorer sessions, and Matt during one of his live streams! True story.

15. Stockton Rails

Aside from some of the issues with this freight-only route (the only one available for console until TSW 2 comes out with the CSX route), I’m glad I have Oakville Sub in my route collection. I used Hamilton Explorer as a sort or proving ground to build a couple of long unit trains, one of them with helper engines located in the middle of the train that actually work... this scenario helped me learn a lot about all of that.

16. SHINO BAZ

I know it may not be much but i have found small areas of track on peninsula corridor along the route where U.P. gp 38's are parked(if you start on foot near them at times the locomotive are not being used),you have 2 or 3 lines of track about 1.5 miles long give or take a few feet or so,you can drive the U.P gp 38's even if there nowhere near there job start times.You'll find a few hoppers and centerbeam cars to shunt around as well.I know this might not sound like much compared to the bigger routes but i love the chance to drive the UP. gp38 and outside of time table and senarios i'll take even a mini version of free roam.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stockton Rails

Thanks for this info too... I have the Caltrain route- might have to check this out in the next day or so!

18. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

This might be the most civilized conversation on the forum yet in years

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stockton Rails

Hilarious- you just made me laugh out loud! We all need more of that, right? Thanks for noticing... pass it around.

20. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

but if I pass it around more people will come to this thread & argue it's a good thing it's only the 3 of us

21. Stockton Rails

...I just meant to pass the good attitude/good vibes around- maybe other folks will jump on the bandwagon.

I’m actually fairly new here- only been a member here for a short few months. I’ve learned a lot about TSW 2020 and railroading from various docs on the internet and from these forums... I try to help out here where I can and I’m always ready to share what I know. I just don’t need some of the ‘drama’ that I see going on around here from time to time... I don’t come here for that, I have enough stress in my life as it is. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  22. SHINO BAZ

You mentioned being good with the use of multiple locomotives,i was wondering if on the nec route free roam senario,there is a total of 6 gp38-2 sitting in the yard area i know all 6 can be lashed up(<railroad term)but can they be linked together to provide all there combine power,so it can be controled by the lead locomotive?

23. Stockton Rails

If they’re all lashed-up together, with the front unit configured as lead and all of the other directly-connected units configured as ‘trail’, they should all power up and down together. And that’s easy enough to verify using the outboard camera to check the trailing units as you power up/down the lead. I usually move the camera back to the trail units one by one and listen to them as I increase throttle in the lead unit... you should hear each of them roar as they throttle up/down with the lead.

The helper-unit (DPU) train is not that hard to build either... just put together a normal lead-trail pair up front, then put together another lead-trail pair further back in the train (or at the rear of the train). Once that’s done, just head to the lead unit at the front of the train and turn on the Banking COMM radio... you’ll also need to make sure the lead units in both pairs are identical loco types for remote control to work. And that should be it... not really that hard to do, and I think it looks pretty cool seeing a long DPU train running this way in the sim!

24. SHINO BAZ

Thank you,Now the real fun is actually doing it and hoping i don't miss a step or switch in one of the 6 locomotives.

Thank you, BTW Do german or UK locomotive have these kind on linkability?

25. Stockton Rails

...not really sure about any of the UK routes, but I think I remember reading something here about a distributed loco scenario in one or more of the German routes. You could try searching the forums here using keywords like distributed, banking, german... you should find quite a bit with that.

Q: What multi-loco train are you thinking about building first? You could do a DPU train with 4 locos up front and two helpers in the middle, or all 6 locos all up front directly connected. Either one of those would be cool... either way, would like to see pics once you get something up and running!

26. SHINO BAZ

On the creation centre page look for a "SHINO BAZ"..."TSW xbox one version screenshots" I have a link to a place where you can see either my screen shots or videos relating to tsw ingame happenings,But this might include none train sim world games as well it's for multi game use so i'm not sure if i can limit it to just one game.But tsw shouldn't be hard to tell from non tsw games.you should see trains and hopefully it's tsw.

When i get something like this done i'll post something at that link,for you to see so check there once in awhile,it might show up anytime.but there are already a few fun train pictures and videos to see,including some multi engine maddness,you wonder how did he do that.

PS:I have nothing to do with any ads you might see,I hate them to.

27. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

I do somewhere on my PC have a Google maps image saved of the whole industrial area. Its huge. I will post it if I can find it.

Kyle, DTG removed the unreachable track a few months ago on an update as people were moaning that they couldn't drive along that part of the map because of DTG's Invisible Barrier (tm). So they took all the non user driveable track off the mini map including the track around bay view junction. Im my opinion it now makes the route via the map at least, crap. Just because a few wet wipes complained.

Regards

Hentis

28. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Just wait till scenario planner on sand patch or penn corridor or oakvilke sub it won't be right seeing UP on the Oakville sub but hell its your scenario

29. SHINO BAZ

Well from what i have seen on youtube CN Rail is no stanger to the visiting various U.S lines either.I live in ohio and CN has even past through my state,plus UP also no stranger they have been know to go almost anywhere in the U.S,and i don't see any reason why U.P should not be aloud up north there a top teir rail service company.U.P deserves some props there restoration of the UP's 4014 Big Boy was no small or cheap task. Btw:As for the Hamilton yards map whats needed is a up to date map,showing the free roam limits in the yard area and switches that no longer appear on the map.because by default some switches can derail you if you don't know to switch them,because they lead to the removed areas.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  30. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I mean i don't think CN has visited oak point but CP has visited oak point but anyway that seems to spoil the name Canadian national if you are in the deep states of the US
    .UP might be the oldest US railroad

31. SHINO BAZ

I don't know everywhere cn rail has been in the U.S i'm just saying they have come south alot,so there no stranger here.

32. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I just found that very interesting but who knows if it does come to scenario planner we could use it for SPG or more routes

33. Stockton Rails

...here’s a link to a CN website with a variety of maps of their rail network. Looks like they reach pretty deep into the US- all the way down to New Orleans according to the map on this main page. Some pretty useful map options on this page- I used the first interactive map option to check out current track layout in the Oakville Sub area.

https://www.cn.ca/en/our-services/maps-and-network/