Ts20: U-boats In The Appalachians!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Jul 23, 2020.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Written by: Gary Dolzall.

Now available, the General Electric U36C in Clinchfield Railroad livery is ready to haul heavy tonnage in the Appalachians!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 4
  2. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

This is just another Class 89. I tried it out in the hopes of it being good and keeping it, but while there is good modelling the sounds are all inaccurate and reused. Hopefully this will be fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

The level of detail for both the locomotive and route look amazing. I am curious though why sounds are reused. It would be great if each DLC has their own unique audio that are close to the prototypical sounds if not completely accurate.

4. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

It's less time consuming and cheaper for DTG to just reuse sounds instead of sending audio teams all over the globe, especially nowadays, to record the unique sounds of every locomotive they plan to make into a DLC.

5. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

The good thing is there are 3rd party developers that develope mods to enhance the sounds and physics for some of the DLC. It would be interesting to know how to create mods for the trains

6. Random Railfan

Can't they request to use someone else's? Even if they can't I doubt the most accurate preexisting horn sound that they have for this locomotive is the Pacific Surfliner horn.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  7. Random Railfan

I agree. The modelling and texturing tends to be quite good with DTG, but the sounds are often disappointing, and sometimes the physics are off. I just wish you didn't need a mod to make the locomotive have "authentic" sounds as DTG advertises on the Steam store listing.

8. Adam Palmer

Adam Palmer Active Member

Model is good, sounds are ok as well. Horn is the K5LA not prototypical to the Clinchfield, I modded it with a 1981 Seaboard RS5T and GE steel bell

• Like Like x 2
  9. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

I just made a consist. 2 U36C's, 100 loaded coal hoppers, and a caboose, and boy, can they pull! Even on a 1.5% grade!

As for the content overall, it's a great locomotive, but the sounds are not very accurate. I replaced the default sounds with TheAudioShack's Dash 8 FLD-16 sounds, plus a Leslie S3L and GE Steel Bell included with the sound pack.