Train Sim World 2 – Take Control

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Jul 23, 2020.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Find out more about the new immersion control scheme, updated HUD and information screens

READ MORE

• Like Like x 13
  2. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

cool zoom on the controller finally

• Like Like x 4
  3. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Love everything DTG has shown off so far, I really like the look of the new hud and I feel like it’s a big improvement over the TSW hud. Considering it’s something that we look at more then anything I feel it was important to get it right, and DTG has done fantastic work with it. I can’t wait for the community And myself get our hands on it!
    P.S Console now having a zoom function is absolutely a small feature but even the small things can make the world of difference, and adding open/close doors to the left and right D-pad is a smart decision. Great job with the new controls, I also can’t help but be excited with the draw distance from within the ICE3 cab picture. Very exciting stuff!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  4. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

cool very good new hud

• Like Like x 1
  5. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Looks great! So happy to see weight, length, and number of cars accessible both pre-game and in the pause menu.
    Quick question: Will the train weight change as passengers get on/off?

• Like Like x 2
  6. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

That's a good question

7. Kim1087

Kim1087 Well-Known Member

I love the new HUD layout, Will the player be able to change the level of HUD transparency in the settings?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Pity the map is still as about as useful as a chocolate fireguard

• Like Like x 5
  9. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

In general it looks quite good. I hope we we get a keyboard key for the save function, to avoid the long route along the pause menu to save the game.

There is one bug in the pause menu:

[​IMG]

Speed is indicated in kph. This is not correct. It should be km/h using SI notation as we usually do in Europe. I do not think Brexit should change this good habit :D

In case an explanation is needed:
    In the SI the m stands for meter, the core unit for distance.
    k stands for a multiplier.
    h stands for hours, which is not SI, but also in Europe we may have some bad habits.
    The divider symbol / changes the unit into s speed unit.

• Like Like x 8
  10. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

yes very good

11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The new functionality and information look great. The teeny weeny writing in the top left might be an issue for reading instructions, especially in the new narrow font. I may have mentioned that before. It certainly isn’t an improvement on TSW. The bottom right HUD display has everything you need on it and that’s obviously made it a bit bigger but glad the gradient is now given in a size that matches its importance. The brake dials are readable now too, I’ve never been able to see the red needles on the old one. That’s all a big improvement on the TSW HUD. Still not a fan of segmented number displays but I’ll get used to it. Coupled (see what I did there) with the new controller mapping I think the driving experience is going to be improved quite a bit. One word that stuck out on the controller was ‘zoom’ and that’s going to make me happy.

As for kph, I didn’t realise that was a British thing, having always known it as Km/h (or kmh) even as a Brit. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen kph used in real life.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

New HUD looks great, glad the timer has been moved.

Not such a fan of the new speedo though

• Like Like x 1
  13. matthewbguilford

A3BA338A-77CA-4DDD-A0AD-D8ED5299E75D.jpeg 0ABF7294-8501-4526-A266-ADF9238115C2.jpeg
    If you look at the weight when starting out the service, and then look at the weight on the pause screen, the train is still the same amount of length but the weight did go up. I’m assuming this means passengers will cause your train to weigh more or less.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

The HUD looks pretty good to me. I have a few suggestions about it:
    • I would add the distance to the destination to the "pre-drive brief" screen if it is possible.
    • Just seeing the next speed limit is not good enough. Many times you brake the train enough to pass the next limit at the correct speed but you get another limit so fast that you can't break enough. I suggest adding a "lowest speed limit in 500m after the currently shown limit" indicator (or panel, whatever you call it).
    Thanks for adding the "Message Log" to the pause screen. Sometimes I'm too busy stopping the train or paying attention to something else and miss what is in the text box. This is a useful feature and many games do not have it. Well done!

It seems the HUD does not only show the numerical value of the slope, but it also show a graphical representation. I like this a lot, so kudos for adding it.

Let's talk about controls now. I use the keyboard a lot of the time, and it works fine to control the speed for engines that uses notches. I just press the key once and you increase the throttle or brakes by 1 notch (ie the 166 in the GWE). The problem comes with engines that have levers or controls that are continuous (like most german engines). It is too slow to move the lever from 0 to 100%. I think that you should add a way to increase or decrease the speed at which you move the lever / control. I can think of two ways:

• One way would be to make "shift" increase the speed at which you move the lever. So, if I just press "a" I move the lever at the normal speed but if I press "shift + a" I move it twice as fast in that direction.
    • The other option would be to add more keys. Example: if "a" moves the lever at the normal speed, "z" (that is just below it in the keyboard) would do it at twice the speed. Same would happen with "d" and "c" but moving the lever in the opposite direction.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  15. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

So the new HUD is integrated into the preserved collection too?

16. matthewbguilford

Hi, they did have an answer to this as a question similar to your suggestion was asked on their Köln Q&A stream about adding tutorials or more detailed information on the type of signal, I will say that I think researching more info on signals was much more fun and rewarding then if it was just something spelled out on the hud. As the driver obviously can’t see multiple signals ahead, even though the hud is showing the signals as simple red, yellow, green. The signals them selves are actually relaying information about what to expect further down the line. I was having this problem a lot and doing a little research into how the signaling worked in that specific country helped me a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I think so. You play the route in TSW2, so it would make sense.

18. matthewbguilford

Heh, that’s a fantastic question! I’m assuming because the preserved collection is running in TSW2 that it will use this new hud feature, but I don’t know until we hear something official!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I was referring to the speed limits, not the light signals. The driver usually has a book with all the fixed speed limit signals in the route, so we should have this functionality as a substitution for that in the game.

20. matthewbguilford

Oh sorry I misunderstood, thank you for explaining. The moments when you bring your train down to 30mph just in time only to have it switch to 15mph Immediately after when your crossing over? I understand and agree completely. I try to keep as much off on the hud as possible, I wonder if there is a solution without adding on to the hud? Making it the lowest of the speed limits when they are so close together like you mentioned would work I’d imagine!

• Like Like x 1
  21. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

What is up with the track to the left of the player in this screenshot? Looks like rollercoaster rails.

TrainSimWorld2ControlHud_logo.jpg

22. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I think it has to be on the HUD somewhere, but maybe it would be enough to place the lowest limit in the next 500m in parenthesis next to the current one so it does not use much more space or adds another full line to the HUD signal stack on the top right.

PS: Adding a modified image so everyone can see what I propose.
    In the following image, the next limit would be 160km/h, with another limit of 100km/h within 500m of the 160km/h limit.

HUD.jpg

Please note I made this change to the picture. It was not made by DTG.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. matthewbguilford

That would work out great I think. Do we know exactly what causes the more abrupt speed limit changes? Is it mostly when crossing over when the 15mph limit is usual out of nowhere?

• Like Like x 2
  24. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

It's truly wonderful to see some of these initial design ideas sketched out as potential feature proposals for the new TSW2 - and I do hope that some of them make it to the final version of TSW2, when it is ready. It's all a bit up in the air at the moment - so I don't take these advertorials to be refective of any actual features that we should expect to see, as things could well change.

Maybe this "immersion control scheme" and draft HUD thing will make the final cut. We'll see. If they revert to using the old HUD - then that's fine by me - whatever DTG thinks is best will be great....!

I'd vote for the zoom-in function to now be included on console - I never understood why it was allowed on PC, but not console. Of course, the PC uses an XBox controller - just like the one pictured.... Maybe one day we will see initial ideas for a PS4 controller map, and if that includes zoom, that would be great......! But if DTG didn't have the time to put the zoom function in for PS4, then no worries - you can't expect basic functionality to be perfectly equal across all platforms.....! It's not an ideal world...!

I note from the wording in this article that keyboard and mouse have been mapped for PC, which is great for PC owners........!

• Like Like x 2
  25. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

I like the new controller layout, but Köln Hbf looks so dead...[​IMG]

26. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

What happened to your cat did he finally retire

• Like Like x 3
  27. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I'm not sure tbh. I have seen it happen sometimes near switches in the GWE line but can't say more than that.

28. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Added a modified screenshot to my previous post to illustrate my proposal for the speed limit HUD.

29. Plastic Pal

Just curious - where did you get the idea that "zoom" would be implemented on console?

30. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Did you see the controls picture?

• Like Like x 1
  31. LiquidShadows

LiquidShadows Well-Known Member

Thank you, DTG, for including a zoom function in the controller layout for TSW 2. It's definitely a welcomed addition.

32. Plastic Pal

That's a PC controller (XBox controller used on PC). The PC version of TSW already has zoom programmed in.

Zoom on PS4 would be a completely new feature - there is no indication that I can see that this is now proposed for PS4.

• Like Like x 1
  33. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

So they bamboozled us into thinking zoom is coming to console.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

How do you tell the difference between a PC controller and an Xbox one? I have it, and it works on both!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. LiquidShadows

Not necessarily. The PlayStation controller and the XBOX controller are basically the same: four action buttons, two trigger buttons, two shoulder buttons, a d-pad, and two joysticks. If it's implemented on the XBOX/PC controller, it SHOULD be implemented on the PS4 controller as well.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Plastic Pal

I am not saying that. All I am saying is that even if this advertorial accurately reflects possible future functionality in TSW2 (and that is a big "if")..... that even then.... there is no indication that the zoom function would be included for PS4. I do not know if zoom is currently available on XBox in TSW.

To include zoom on PS4 would require more than a re-map of the controller - I am fairly sure that it would require new programming.

I think it's unlucky that they don't implement the PS4 trackpad as a mouse right now, but you know - DTG Devs are the best people for making design decisions - not the players.

37. Plastic Pal

That might be a reasonable argument - but the advertorial does not provide any positive indication that the DS4 has been mapped in the same way - for PS4. Or indeed that the XBox has got this mapping. It could just be for PC - I don't know - it's not clear.

We will have to wait and see when the game launches, and when DTG finalise the specification. Maybe there will be a manual...!

You could assume (or azoom.....?) that zoom has been mapped for PS4, if you want to. But don't be upset if it isn't - because they haven't said that it is.

You could assume that the keyboard has been mapped for PS4 - but I strongly suspect that it hasn't been, and that there will be no braking button available..... But I don't know either way - we will just have to see what we get, when we get it.

But, you know.... I can roll with whatever DTG thinks is best in the end. Whatever makes them happy.

38. matthewbguilford

“To improve control and allow players easier access to in game functions we have included the new Immersion controller scheme. This streamlines common functions and removes distracting pop-up menus in driving modes. Simple one click controls reduce the number of button pushes required to do things like open/close doors. This means you can enjoy driving trains in a much more relaxing and intuitive way. For those who prefer the current Train Sim World 2020 controller layout fear not - We have also included the Classic controller scheme. On PC you will also have the usual keyboard and mouse controller option. The choice is yours!
    ——————————————————
    The end of the article is aimed at PC users “On PC you will also have the usual keyboard and mouse controller option.”
    As it has always been a known and requested feature for console, it shows a zoom option on the controller scheme in the picture. Does it say specifically that consoles have the zoom option, no.
    I’m willing to bet there’s a very good chance it is featured.

• Like Like x 1
  39. matthewbguilford

If what plastic pal is saying is true.
    I think we have been bamboozled.

40. Plastic Pal

Good for you. I am glad that the description has made you feel confident about functionality that you want, even if it hasn't been mentioned in the description. Brilliant stuff....!

41. LiquidShadows

I'm basing my argument on the fact that this controller schematic for TSW 2 in this update clearly shows an option to zoom in and out; the controller schematic for TSW 2020 (XBOX or PS4) does not. I choose to remain optimistic.

• Like Like x 2
  42. Plastic Pal

I don't think that. "Bamboozle" means to trick or deceive. There is no evidence of deception here. So I don't think that the advertorial tries to bamboozle - it just shows a zoom button laid out on an XBox 360 style controller - just like you would use with a PC.

And anyway - this all has to be seen in the context of none of this being final anyway - it's all subject to change. For now - they are just ideas....

43. matthewbguilford

You told me earlier you liked my optimism, what happened?
    I’d rather it make me confident about functionality if not even in the description then your
    “Angrier at everything
    no matter what is in the description”

feelings.

• Like Like x 3
  44. Plastic Pal

That's great....! I like optimism.....! It's much happier than pessimism....!

I am also optimistic - I really do hope that they have given this to DS4 on PS4 as well. But there is no evidence that they intend to do this.

And if you are confident that the manuals and controller maps for PS4 currently reflect reality in TSW (they don't) - then good for you....!

45. Plastic Pal

I don't have these negative feelings. I am very happy for you and your confidence - and I am very happy for me, in accepting whatever I will be given.

I would be quite happy if the DS4 doesn't get mapped for PS4, if that is what DTG decide is best for PS4 players. I'm okay with it either way. I have TSW on PC as well as PS4. I will buy TSW2 for both PS4 and PC. So it doesn't affect me.

46. LiquidShadows

Oh, I get it... You're the type of person that likes to argue JUST for the sake of arguing while throwing in condescending, passive-aggressive digs at people. I will not be a part of that.

• Like Like x 3
  47. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Is it every thread you guys have to argue in

• Like Like x 1
  48. Plastic Pal

Nope - I am just trying to be positive about things.

49. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Maybe DTG Protagonist can clarify if controller zoom is in fact coming to Xbox/PS for TSW2, or not?

Otherwise we're just going to have endless back and forth about something that I would think has been decided upon considering it's less than a month til release.

• Like Like x 4
  50. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The controller commands don’t include AFB control I see. That’s very disappointing and means immersion breaking lever control. It would have been great to hold X etc whilst using the accelerator up/down buttons to increase/decrease AFB.

Still no two tone horn control either.

Shame :(