PlayStation Train Sim World 2 Controls

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Is anyone else disappointed with the new controls for TSW 2?

BD5F4BAC-A6F6-4F4C-8A64-C2B0A557FC3E.jpeg

No way to control AFB without using a keyboard (or taking your eyes off the tracks to manually operate the levers). Very immersion braking.

No way to sound low/high horn.

Not sure how the Reverser/Gear Up and Reverser/Gear Down will work on a Class 101 as it has both and the buttons control both?

I’m really disappointed. You can get so much more functionality out of a controller by using different buttons for different things or using a combination of buttons.

I’m sad :|

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Just seen this from DTG Protagonist on another thread...

The way we use controller mapping on consoles needs overhauling in order to give a greater range of function to console players. This is known and it's on our long-term to-do list. For the release of TSW2 console users will now be able to zoom the camera in-cab, but not while on foot. It's a step in the right direction, but we know there's further to go.

It would be cool if DTG asked players for suggestions - sort of a community think tank on what the controller should be able to do.

• Like Like x 4
  3. LiquidShadows

LiquidShadows Well-Known Member

100% agree. That's a really good idea.

• Like Like x 3
  4. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

I think this new controller scheme is actually pretty darn good, I'm really excited that we FINALLY are able to use zoom on console

Taking a glance at what all the buttons do, honestly I think it comes off as intuitive and dont really have any complaints about it.

Actually, come to think of it....the left and right-hand doors are controlled by their respective direction on the D-Pad....though the chart implies these are done with a single button press and not a hold. The thing is, currently that brings up a menu where you can select "Contact Signaller" or something like that. My question is, how is this menu option going to be accessed now with the new controller scheme?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Hopefully DTG will see what we, as players want. I'd love to be able to sound the low and high horn on the controller. Maybe have an option to replace the zoom buttons with the horns.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Zoom is important too. As is PZB releases/override.

• Like Like x 2
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m interested to see how the reverser/gears are going to work in the Class 101 with the controls both being on the same buttons, as you say. At present I’m thinking the reverser will have to be done manually on trains with gears, otherwise it could get messy or confusing. Lots of other controls will need to be done manually at the start of services anyway, with no controller inputs for lights and wipers etc. so doing the reverser manually shouldn’t be an issue. There’s no shortcuts for plenty of other function either (opening windows, cab changeover levers for AWS, seat adjustments) so it’s not going to be a big issue but hopefully all the keyboard controls will still work on PS4 for when I’m feeling too lazy to look around the cab for everything.

If I get along well with the new controller layout it’s going to be another reason to drive the TSW routes only in TSW2 so I don’t have two sets of controls to swap between in my head when using the two games. My plan is to keep all the routes in both just in case there are separate bugs in routes on the two games but if everything works as well or better in TSW2, TSW may never get loaded up in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

100%. Although I'd take horns over zoom personally.

• Like Like x 1
  9. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

It looks like the Contact signaler is attached to holding the O button or the B button on X-box. I’m happy with what they have done to the control scheme. I think getting rid of the pop up menus was a brilliant idea and it’s more streamlined and user friendly although I do understand a couple things are missing such as the AFB but I think we just need some time using it and it’s a big step forward.

• Like Like x 3
  10. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I'm glad the reverser isn't on the left analog anymore. The amount of times I've gone into reverse thinking I was in camera view... :o

• Like Like x 7
  11. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Glad I wasn't the only one doing that!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Yeah, same here. I do this at least once on every run. It's especially annoying on the 101 as knocking it into reverse shuts down the engines which then have to be restarted on the move so I'm very pleased to see this has been changed.

• Like Like x 2
  13. noonespecial#3435

noonespecial#3435 New Member

So does TSW 2 for the PS4 support keyboard controls?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Yes. You can use a keyboard with PS4. You can’t use a mouse though. Not yet at least.

• Like Like x 1
  15. noonespecial#3435

noonespecial#3435 New Member

Thank you.

16. jackrose1989

jackrose1989 Member

Yea but only 2 views are there? And you can't do as much. It seriously limits the game.

17. trinity#2970

trinity#2970 Member

I really like the new control scheme . The fact that you can switch from internal view to external with just one click is very nice. Only thing I miss is the free camera option. Drop the camera so you can watch the train go by is now not possible with the new controller scheme right?

• Like Like x 1
  18. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Nope, that's only possible in the classic scheme

19. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

Have to say I have not played much with the controls, but did wonder why I got very interesting things happening from time to time on my PS4. This might explain things. Personally I do dislike this sort of change (I know others love it) but it takes me longer to work out and use controls. Just learning the differences from TSW2020 to TSW2. I am sure I will get use to them. I know I have not done the "Read The (Rude word removed ;)) Manual" yet, but is there a picture, like at the beginning off this thread, for the PS4 controller :)

20. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

What function does the interact button do?

21. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

It's what allows you to interact with things in the game world. This can be things like junctions, or buttons and switches in the cab of the train. Sometimes you'll even get a slider that you can click and drag and set things to.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

The controls are the same for both consoles and not just PlayStation?

23. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Just opens doors , allows you to use the buttons and that sort of stuff

24. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

Except that is an Xbox control. Also the PS4 has the mouse type pad on it and not the same buttons.

25. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

I think the problem here with the AFB is, that only german trains (and not everyone of them). So what would you do with the buttons if you haven’t got AFB on the train? I did think of a dolution on this: Playstation sells „extra buttons“! These are two additional buttons under the controller, which would be perfect! So if you want to use AFB with a button, then DTG migjt programm it in and you can buy these additional buttons :D
    What are you thinking about that, DTG?

26. casssp

casssp Member

I like the layout of the Classic controls more than the new ones. But if I could, I would add a Rookie Mode:

L2, R2 - Train go forward, reduce speed, stop and backward;

L1 - Functional menu 1 (like Truck Driver, Red Dead, GTA, etc.): most commonly used commands such as headlights, taillights, cabin lights, passenger lights, lights in general, wipers, doors, and any other commonly used controls;

L2 - Functional menu 2 with a list of more complex commands, whatever they may be, like turning on the train, pantograph, batteries, security systems, etc. etc;

Right Stick, R3: camera view and choose from internal and external;

Left and Right pad: Select each internal or external cameras (chosen by pressing R3), going forward or backward, like WRC7.

Anyway, I would start from that principle.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021