Passenger Information Screens (and Pylons)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jamster47, Jul 26, 2020.

1. jamster47

jamster47 Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    I didn’t buy TSW and stopped playing Train Sim after building Crouch Valleys 1, 2 and 3 but have to say I’m really excited for TSW2 and think this could get me back into it.

The screen shots look amazing and I hope for Great Eastern or c2c one day.

Just a thought re the passenger info signs can DTG give us any hope they might have them working one day? I think it would add so much to the immersion and the blank signs look odd. Especially on the Bakerloo line. Could they not use static Screens that would be better than nothing. Like on the underground when they say ** Stand clear Train Approaching ** or something similar.

Or just a working clock would add to the station atmos.

Just another observation and sorry this is geeky, I note from the screenshots that they only use one kind of pylon. However the model they use is known as a deviation tower where the line changes directions. There seems to be no straight line towers. Just an observation and I’m probably the only one but row after row of deviation towers spoils the immersion. Perhaps a model of the L2 could be done to add to the current option? Fingers crossed.

Roll on the 20th August.
    J

• Like Like x 2
  2. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

PIS in stations have always been a widely requested feature for TSW, pretty much since GWE was released and the folks on the development team are very much aware of it.
    Technically speaking, theres a few things in place already that can enable this feature, it just needs some more work on it to be done.
    Having been introduced on East Coastway, they've developed a system where it can read a text file and then generate whatever is on it to a dot matrix display, like the ones you see in front of a train. This is also coming to the Koln - Aachen route in TSW2 (for the upgraded Talent 2, and the ICE3 trains), but further than that, there isnt really any PIS, especially in stations.

While they aren't necessarily complex to develop, they're still some work needed to be done before we see them implemented in a route. Much like rail crossings in this game, these animated objects could be seen as an unnecessary waste of performance, who knows.

With all that being said, I do think your idea of having static displays would be a nice middle-ground. Something to fill up those screens, but not chew up FPS for breakfast haha :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I'd given up hope of seeing a fully working PIS in TSW/TSW2, but with the latest developments on the ICE and Talent2 displays, it's giving me hope we'll actually be seeing them on the platform displays in TSW2 in the not too distant future! More fool me? Maybe, but I'm seeing good progress, so............

• Like Like x 1
  4. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Hah, yeah I think so too! When I saw those displays on the Talent 2, and saw how it could dynamically show station names based on how far you are into the route, I had a spark of excitement that I havent had in a long time with TSW

5. Forzaboy4

Forzaboy4 Member

Would love a PIS platforms display and concourse, would make the experience a lot easier and would improve quality of lfie

6. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

The official word from the Dovetail stream (available on YT) was NO as far as platform and internal PIS are concerned. That doesn't mean that DTG may one day do something with them but don't hold your breath for anything happening soon.

7. jamster47

jamster47 Well-Known Member

I can understand it can’t be that simple otherwise it would of been there from the beginning. Seems a bit backwards that we had working clocks in 2007 but not 13years later in 2020. Forgive me if 2007 is wrong, I think it was about then I bought Train Sim.

If they are not able to do them I hope they can consider static displays. In Crouch Valley I textured an individual or monitor for each platform at every station. It was a lot of work but easy once you got into the swing of it. And whilst it was not always accurate it was better then a blank sign.
    I remain in hope.....

• Like Like x 2