New Haven Ep-5 "jet" Locomotive

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by Random Railfan, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

History:
    So here's a locomotive that I'm sure at least some of you guys like. The EP-5s were a class of ten passenger electrics built by GE for the New York, New Haven, and Hartford Railroad, or simply the New Haven, in 1954. They were known for their characteristic roaring sound, which gave them the nickname "jets," and their rapid acceleration. They operated mainly from the overhead wires, but were also fitted with 3rd rail shoes to operate between the New Haven's junction with the New York Central just past Woodlawn on the Harlem Line and Grand Central. An issue with the jets, however, was their overheating issue, and this contributed to their downfall. By 1962, the cash-strapped New Haven only had three EP-5s left in service as they were transitioning to running diesels under the wire, with the 3rd rail shoes only being used in the Park Avenue Tunnels. These diesels were the FL9s, reliable locomotives that survived on Metro-North until around 2009. When the New Haven joined Penn Central, four of the EP-5s were scrapped, and the rest were assigned to commuter services. This didn't last long, however, because in 1973 PC 4971 caught fire in the Park Avenue Tunnels, and the entire class was banned from Grand Central. This resulted in the remaining members of the class being put into storage, with only 4973 and 4977 being brought out. These were reclassified as E-40s by the PC and put into freight service. They had one pantograph and their steam generators removed, and the 3rd rail operation disabled. These carried on with freight services until around 1979, when they were scrapped. There are no remaining members of the class.

The EP-5 in-game:
    I think the EP-5s would be perfect for the game because of their uniqueness and attractiveness. These were (in my opinion) gorgeous locomotives, and if I'm not mistaken they've never appeared in any train simulator before. The rapid acceleration, characteristic roar, and their Hancock air whistles would all be welcome in Train Simulator. The EP-5s were often assigned to expresses, so this should be reflected in the scenarios. They'd work great with some passenger cars, perhaps the New Haven's stainless steel coaches, Osgood-Bradley coaches, or even heavyweights. The Osgood-Bradley and heavyweight coaches could be sourced from the VNHRR route if an agreement is made. Now, with liveries, I don't expect the NH and PC liveries, unless Reppo or DTM pick it up, so if we only get one, the New Haven livery would make a lot more sense. The EP-5s wore this livery when they were viewed positively and not as a fire hazard.

Some photos:
    [​IMG]

From American-Rails.com

[​IMG]
    From Pinterest.com

[​IMG]
    From Flickr.com

[​IMG]
    From Pinterest.com

• Like Like x 5
  2. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

These would make perfect additions to the game!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I can hear why they got that nickname.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Random Railfan

Lol yeah. I wonder if there are any other recordings of those fans?

5. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

6. Random Railfan

7. Random Railfan

I just forgot. I haven't found any cab photos, so unless they exist it could be quite difficult to make an accurate cab.