Fog Missing At Night

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by MarkusLiberty, Oct 6, 2017.

1. MarkusLiberty

MarkusLiberty Active Member

None of the fog/mist weather options work at night when playing service mode, I have tested this on both routes and with all available trains.

I didn't check all the various services, as that would have taken hours, but I did test it on a good amount of them, with the same result.

Summer Fog at 13:40
    [​IMG]

Same Settings, but at 01:40.
    [​IMG]

I also noticed that the visibility is different depending on season. Summer fog and autumn mist has slightly different visibility range, thought that might be intentional. There's also no option for fog/mist during spring season

I haven't read about anyone else having this problem, so it would be great if someone could test it out on their games too

• Like Like x 2
  2. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I would like to add to this that fog on clear weather is far too dense. There should be no fog at all, yet with a bit of good camera placement, it becomes quite clear just how close fog is on a "clear" day. Almost seems like it is there to hide distant terrain from you...and it is not a draw distance setting thing either, even with that set to max fog is still there.

Edit: here's what some camera hax can show for fog on a "clear" day:
    20170907205412_1.jpg
    By American standards at least, that's a pretty darn foggy day. Visibility of only around 3 miles like that would be significantly worse than the usual 10 miles.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Agreed the "clear day" fog is really annoying. Probably used to control draw distances and mask object pop up.

4. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Or could be smoke from a lot of wood stoves or normal haze from smog.. I get that where I live.:|

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ron Away

Ron Away New Member

What about that amount of fog :D He he he. I can't remember the season though.
    20171110024203_1.jpg

6. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

That clear sphere around player looks like "We don't know how to stop fog from showing inside the cab, so let's make that no-fog sphere three cab sizes in diameter and be done with it"

• Like Like x 1
  7. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

It's a shame that fog doesn't work at night.

I've been working the GWE services in a strong Autumn rain because I love the atmosphere and I wanted to do the CSX services under blizzard conditions for the atmosphere but blizzard looks all wrong at night because the fog is missing.

8. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Then on Sand Patch night fog is white, which ruins any sense of darkness :/ Fog is there at night, but it just blackens out everything, not makes it glow.

9. Ron Away

Ron Away New Member

Yeah, well I reported the bug to Dovetail and sent a screen shoot. They should hit me back soon. I hope they release a patch.

10. cp1400

cp1400 Member

I have also had this problem, and as I can see, it isn't solved yet and several months have passed, almost becoming a year now. This is something that really annoys me, and quite honestly, destroys the joy in playing. I love night atmospheres and I love fog, if those two can't be used it's unfortunate and really a game killer :/