Steam Dlc Price Discrepancy For Ecw On Tsw 2

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by FeralKitty, Aug 7, 2020.

1. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

ECW DLC is regularly priced at $29.99 for TSW 1, but regularly priced at $49.99 for TSW 2.

Screenshot (329).png Screenshot (330).png

2. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

You are wrong. This price is for the edition containing the core game+ the ECB route. For the ECW route you pay Euro 17,- Which is roughly 45% off and that is not too bad.

3. FeralKitty

The bundle (game + route) is regularly $49.99, but below that the route alone is also regularly $49.99.

Look at the bottom screenshot, right above the “Add all DLC to cart.”

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alexandreo3

Alexandreo3 Active Member

I think its a Problem with steam they had to include ECW for the Bundle but than also hat to make it its own single DLC thing and to stop people from buying it alone they made it the same price as the bundle

5. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Yes, it is an issue with Steam as going onto the individual DLC page only allows you to buy the Deluxe Edition and not the DLC. I doubt that the route will have an individual cost above £24.99 but eventually they might lower the price to compensate for the lower quality.

6. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

It is a formality, like a place-holder of sorts. If you look into the Package info for the Deluxe you will see the route doesn't even have a price on there. It's not meant for you to buy it as tsw2 route because it is from TSW1/2020. You must buy it there and your licence will automatically transfer over into tsw2.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  7. FeralKitty

I suspect down the road that all TSW1 DLC will also be sold on the TSW2 page, or DTG will be missing out on old route/loco sales to new customers who never owned TSW1.

FYI, people who didn’t own ECW but bought the TSW2 Deluxe edition are getting “TSW2” ECW DLC which apparently doesn't transfer back to TSW1.

(Sam said DLC only moves forward from TSW1 to TSW2, not back from TSW2 to TSW1, so it is apparently working as intended.)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

Yes, that's fine since they plan to bring in all the dlc into tsw2 store page anyway and there will be no need to play the outdated 1.

IMO they should've marketed 2 as a "continuation" with upgraded game engine rather than as a "separate game". Semantics, but would've made people feel more at ease. Also, I believe they had a quite fair system in place for TS where you buy the game on year (1) with up to date core and some routes. Year (2) you get free update to the game, but no new routes included. Year (3) Sorry no update, no new routes, please buy new updated game.

I'm perfectly OK with purchasing new updated "TSW2 core/game" since I already enjoyed 1 from way back in... 2017? and probably even before the actual release i dont even remember now.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I could've swore they said in the 1st Q&A that the preserved collection DLC purchases were 2 way (in other words if you buy it under TSW2 it'll then work in TSW1 and vice versa).

-edit- Yes they did...From 26:17 in this stream:

10. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

No DLCs will not be backwards compatible, only forward from 1 to 2. Meaning DLCs purchased for TSW2020 will work with TSW2. However DLCs purchased for TSW2 (after it comes out, or from TSW2 page will ONLY work with TSW2 and not with TSW1/2020)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Wrong...watch the link above. If you buy ECW (For example) from the TSW2 store page, it effectively purchases it for TSW1 as well and will work the same way for all future preserved collection content

12. FeralKitty

This is what Sam said yesterday:
    I don’t know if something has changed between the first Q&A or not, but in the absence of any misunderstandings, I expect the more recent statement to be the one we should go by.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

They appear to have changed their minds then....because that quote from Sam contradicts what was said in the first Q&A I linked above.

14. FeralKitty

Matt said “it should work,” but it currently doesn’t appear to work that way. If you look at the thread Sam replied to, someone bought the Deluxe/ECW bundle, but didn’t receive ECW for TSW1.

15. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

Here is what they mean: You can continue to buy dlcs for tsw2020 (that already exist and are listed on the tsw2020 store page) even after TSW2 will come out. They will not prevent you from doing that. Your TSW2020 dlc will be licenced to work with both TSW2020 and TSW2. However, purchasing a dlc from TSW2 store page (As I understand, even the same one as on tsw2020) will ONLY allow you to use it in TSW2. The NEW dlc (aka dlcs that come out AFTER the release of TSW2 will ONLY be available for and compatible with TSW2.

Therefore if you want for example ECW to work on BOTH 1 and 2, you should buy it from the tsw2020 store page NOT from tsw2 page.

At least that is MY understanding of it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Either way, it shouldn't be an issue. I fail to see why someone who owns TSW2 would want to play one of the TSW1 routes in TSW1 when it is available in TSW2.

It may be an issue right now because TSW2 hasn't yet been released and deluxe edition purchasers may want to play ECW right now....but after TSW2 releases, this won't be an issue

17. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Okay, because I have contradicted myself I'll double check. Please hold until I can make doubly sure how this will work.

What I do know with absolute certainty is that any TSW2020 DLC owned (NEC and associated add-ons excluded) will function as part of Preserved Collection in TSW2, and that once a Preserved Collection item is ready it will be available to buy both as a TSW2020 add-on, and as a TSW2 add-on.

• Like Like x 1
  18. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

You are completely correct. Someone who bought tsw2 will not want to go back and play tsw1 routes in tsw1 if they can play them on tsw2. It wouldn't make sense (unless during this transition period as they are porting the routes into 2 and not all routs might be available on 2 right away)

19. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Nothing like keeping it simple is there?

• Like Like x 2
  20. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Some people might want to play their new DLC in TSW2020 if they prefer the HUD for example or want to continue levelling up for any reason. It might turn out that some content works better in TSW2020 than in TSW2 (I’m not expecting this to be the case, but you never know) and so it’s good to have the option to play it in its native setting.

I want to buy HRR the next time it is in a sale and I will buy the TSW2020 version so I have that choice. If it appears in a sale before all the German routes and locos are released in the preserved collection it will be the only way to get the full set of services and loco options in the route. I also want the BR 182 loco to appear in my TSW2020 versions of German routes when I buy that. I can’t say now how long I will continue to use TSW2020 but if I buy a route that can be used in it I will want it to be available in it, so I’ll buy the TSW2020 versions to guarantee I get both.

In any case confusion is likely to occur in the stores, having the same content available for two games. If both titles are kept on sale indefinitely then confusion will stay indefinitely. The best way to minimise that confusion is to have it so that if you buy either version of preserved content you get both. There can be no unexpected disappointments that way.

• Like Like x 1
  21. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

The deluxe edition is nothing but a way for anyone who doesn’t own ECW to get it bundled in with TSW2 for a cheaper price, If you look at the routes that come with TSW2 we have a USA route that is 50+ miles, a German route at 40+ miles and a U.K. route at 14 miles, ECW being the most recent U.K. route it makes total since why they chose to bundle it with the deluxe edition.

• Like Like x 2
  22. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That may be the case but there’s no need for you to post this exact post on three or more different threads.

• Like Like x 1
  23. matthewbguilford

We can take that further and say there doesn’t need to be multiple threads about the same subject. Obviously people are having a hard time understanding why they have done that, I’m just sharing information.

• Like Like x 2
  24. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s true but your reply isn’t answering the specific queries in each thread, It’s just a generic post including why it’s ECW that has been chosen, which was relevant in the first thread but not this one. This thread is more about how it’s represented on the store and how it relates to having it work in both games if you buy the deluxe bundle. That’s what’s causing most of the confusion, not why it’s ECW that’s been chosen.

• Like Like x 1
  25. matthewbguilford

Yes, I agree and your right, it doesn’t answer the question the thread was about. I noticed some people were wondering why ECW was included, was just trying to help but I can see why it wasn’t the best way to go.

• Like Like x 2