Long Island Railroad

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Lawjester, Oct 31, 2017.

?
  1. Yes, I would love to see the LIRR

76.5%
  2. No, I’d prefer a different route

23.5%
  1. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

9014A126-E549-4D4E-B93C-448C64564B51.jpeg 6B8CEE0A-DFE6-41AC-BD67-A4DCD29E0A9F.jpeg 736EE484-0FD1-4AC6-96BC-F96D28EE6219.jpeg ADE865F7-00BF-4A8F-9BE4-A76FD167E774.jpeg 9E5E7638-599F-475A-BE76-AFD3EDE29E2A.jpeg I would like to suggest a must need for TSW which is the LIRR. The LIRR is North America’s busiest commuter rail. The LIRR has 10 branches but what I would like to suggest is mainly the Ronkonkoma, Babylon/Montauk and Port Jefferson branches. They are the three biggest branches and use combine diesel and electric service. The LIRR runs 3 trains, the M-7 EMU, M-3 EMU, and the DE/DM30AC. They have 3 terminals, Penn Station, Atlantic Terminal Brooklyn and Long Island City. Jamaica Station can also be considered a terminal because a few trains terminate there and is also known as the “transfer station” because of the 10 branches 9 serve Jamaica.
    Terminals: The LIRR has 2 main terminals which is the famed Pennsylvania Station and Atlantic Terminal. Long Island city is not used as frequently during the day but some trains due terminate there. If your branch is running to Atlantic Terminal but you need to switch to a Penn bound train, the LIRR makes it easy and both trains arrive in Jamaica at the same time and right next to each other to make a fast transfer. The same goes on the way out to the Island, if your onboard a Hempstead bound train which normally originates in Atlantic Teminal and want to switch to a Huntington bound train, they both arrive parrallel to each other in Jamaica.
    Branches: The LIRR’s many branches are all significant in their own way but the 3 primary branches are Ronkonkoma, Babylon/Montauk and Port Jefferson which use the main line and all other branches with the exception of Port Washington branch off from these 3 lines. They’re very scenic and have lots of grade crossing and run quite frequently everyday. A “shift” mode would be great so you can have a primary schedule for the day and you complete each assignment one after the other.
    Trains: The LIRR runs 3 trains, the M-7, M-3 and the diesel locomotive DE/DM30AC. Each trains are very significant in their own way and if made correctly, they can be the best content in TSW ever made. The audio for these trains like the horn and motor sounds are just breathtaking to hear every time your near a train. The M-7’s come with an automated announcements program which plays station announcements from a GPS that picks up a nearing station. The engineer simply has to put the route number in and it’s done.

I’m hoping my proposal will be the start to many more LIRR content being made and soon I hope you all like this post and more will come soon.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. MikeForce

MikeForce New Member

One major caveat with a LIRR route at present is that the LIRR system as a whole is under heavy construction. Jamaica station for example is having all of its switches east and west redone to separate Atlantic Terminal traffic onto a new Platform F.

To give an idea of how much construction, I've circled on the map all the areas that are currently under construction or have been awarded a construction contract for completion within the next few years that will become very different visually and/or operationally.

modernization.png

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  3. Lawjester

Yeah but most of these projects are projected to finish in years. I would love the current LIRR and I don’t really mind the fact that there’s construction happening.

4. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

Thanks for proposing this! I was actually prepping to propose this route myself having originated from the LI area and commuted using the LIRR for quite some time.

To add to this, a total of 46 of those DE30MC/DM30AC locomotives were built specifically for the LIRR by EMD and cant be found anywhere else.

With this route we also have the option for some freight service as well. The New York and Atlantic (NY&A) operates from the CSX interchange at Hell Gate Bridge throughout a lot the island to all sorts of different customers. Their fleet is relatively small four EMD GP38s, 4 EMD MP15ACs, 2 PR20Bs and a single EMD SW1001. They share trackage with the LIRR and operate around their schedule mostly and are a lifeline to many business' on the island and the Queens area. I would love to see them included!

• Like Like x 1
  5. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

While I do like the Long Island Railroad and would love to see Dovetail Games make one of their routes, I feel that it might be better if one of them was made as a route extension for the Train Simulator 2018 New York to New Haven route because Long Island is geographically parallel to Connecticut, due to both routes going east out of New York City. They could do the Port Jefferson Line out of New York City to Port Jefferson since that would include the large junction and station in Jamaica in Queens. Or, although this one might be the least-appealing Long Island Railroad route, they could do the Port Washington Line as an extension for New York to New Haven.

Now, if I had to choose one Long Island route as a standalone for Train Sim World, my choice would be the Montauk Line since that's the longest and spans all of Long Island out of New York City.

Just a quick note to Dovetail Games, if you guys ever do make a Long Island Railroad route, please include the West Side Yard in Manhattan. That yard wasn't included in any of the New York City routes from the company (which is unfortunate, especially for New York to New Haven since New York City is the southern-most and western-most city on that route) and it's essential for any Long Island Railroad route since the Long Island Railroad doesn't use Sunnyside Yard.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Lawjester

In my post I said to do the Port Jefferson, Ronkonkoma, and Babylon/Montauk branches because they all go east and are the biggest branches. I refer to the Montauk branch as Babylon/Montauk because the Montauk branch uses the Babylon Branch all the time for its express service as well as the main line and we can’t have an LIRR route without the Babylon Branch.

7. Blue Fred

Blue Fred Member

This is a nice proposal.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lawjester

I really hope it’s done soon. Jay proposed it in 2014 for TS but I think that the LIRR will fit better with TSW. I don’t know why it hasn’t been done at this point but hopefully it will be here soon. Perhaps it’s the next TSW project :). I understand my request maybe a bit much, if that’s true I think they should just stick to the full Ronkonkoma and Babylon/Montauk branches or just to Ronkonkoma, Port Jefferson branch and Babylon/Montauk branches. The reason for just going to Ronkonkoma is because the trackage from Ronkonkoma to Greenport is only used a few times a day for the Greenport scoot so if we use real schedules like we do in GWR it’s a rare shuttle used throughout the day. If you want to know more about the schedules for each branch go to http://www.mta.info/lirr and you can go into more depth.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Blue Fred

Blue Fred Member

I know about the branches. Honestly in my opinion Ronkokoma is the main line. Long Island Railroad is a very populated railroad so it's gonna be some good urban scenery.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lawjester

I really just can’t wait for all the grade crossings, multiple terminals, going through Jamaica Station, and driving LIRR’s three trains. It’s gonna be so awesome!!

11. aoatolfan

aoatolfan New Member

New Server, New World ! Welcome to our new Atlantica Online Private Server - "Atolfan"

This new server come with the most updated version which same with offical server.

-| New Update - Starter Package Newbie |-
    Blessing License (365 Days/No Trade) x5
    VIP License Pack x12
    Extra Inventory license [No Trade/30 days] x12
    Merc. Room license (Perm.) x30
    Water of Life(No Trade) x10.000
    Quest EXP 2x License (1 day/No Trade) x30
    Exp Concerntration License (No Trade/1 day) x7
    Wyvern [ No Trade/30 days ] x1
    Rebirth Coin x400
    Golden Bunny (No Trade) x1
    Remote Quest License x300
    Mercenary Selection Summon Marble x10
    Ancient Book Box of Nirvana x1
    Honey Jar Key x10
    Ancient Minotaur Package (3 Days/Event) x4
    Secret vial of potensial(No Trade) x1000
    Growth Vial(No Trade) x1000
    Platinum License x500

-| New Update November 2017 |-
    -| Added more item in AOA Points to trade |-

1. Event Equip Weapon & Armor up to lvl 165.
    2. [ General ] Quick-Grow Feast
    3. Blessing license ( 30 days/No trade )
    4. Merc. LVL +1 Coupon [lvl 120 - 165 ]
    5. [ Common ] Nouvelle cuisine feast 9 ( No Trade )
    6. Atlas outfit stone ( No Trade )
    7. Extra inventory license ( Perm. / No Trade )
    8. Merc. Room License ( Perm. / No Trade )
    9. Sorceres Idol ( No Trade )
    10. Khun Phaen's Carrier Pigeon ( No Trade )
    11. Faust Summon Marble ( No Trade )
    12. Rin's Precious Puppet
    13. [ Event ] Start Sphere
    14. Christine's Revolver ( No Trade )

-| Added Mercenary Fixed Market |-

1. Huike's Letter 10.000 G
    2. Viking summon marble 10.000 G
    3. Beast Trainer Summon Marble 10.000 G
    4. Witch summon Marble 10.000 G
    5. Exorcist summon marble 10.000 G
    6. Princess' Contract 10.000 G
    7. Prophet Summon Marble 10.000 G
    8. Oracle's Papyrus 10.000 G
    9. Inventor Summon Kit 10.000 G
    10. Cannoneer's Challenge 10.000 G
    11. Lady Knight's Pledge 10.000 G
    12. Spartan's sealed Slate 500m Gold
    13. Pirate's Signal Shot 500m Gold
    14. Hwarang's Letter 30m Gold
    15. Frank Reade's Card 400m Gold
    16. Empress' Ornament 1b Gold
    17. Druid's Soul-Sealing Stone 2b Gold
    18. Odysseus' Summon Paper 2b Gold

Features:
    -All exp include war fish quest etc. : 500%
    -war item num : 200%
    -Special item drop rate : 300%
    -War gold : 500%
    -Free 1000 Water of Life for new player.

Out Advantages:
    - Always follow the most updated version to bring players new fun.
    - Numerous events offer players plenty of gifts in free
    - Fast response customer service

Register and get fun now!!!

Link Our Site :
    http://game.atolfan.me/Index.aspx#

Link Discord Channel :
    https://discord.gg/wW3AxHH

Link Register :
    http://game.atolfan.me/Index.aspx#

Link Download Game :
    http://download.atolfan.me/Setup/AtlanticaOLFanSetup460160_2.7z

Link Our Forum :
    http://forum.atolfan.me/

Link Our Facebook Page :
    https://www.facebook.com/atolfan/

Link Our Group Facebook :
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/atolfan/

12. Lawjester

This has nothing whatsoever that has to do with the LIRR.

13. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

That wasn't Train-Sim Jay who proposed that. That was a user by the name of "Subterranean" who proposed it. Ever since the Engine-Driver website was overhauled in January of 2016, most articles from before then posted by basically any user except for me, Gary Dolzall and Dovetail Games employees have been "posted" by "TrainSim-James" when in fact they have not been written by TrainSim-James.

14. Lawjester

I see. Exciting news, Jay responded in a suggestion I made in the Steam forums about the LIRR, he said they would love to do it soon!!

15. Lawjester

Just was on the LIRR to and from Atlantic Terminal Brooklyn and got both the M7 and M3. It was a great ride and now only makes want the LIRR more for TSW.

16. Lawjester

Happy Thanksgiving to all you guys and hoping for the best for the LIRR!!!

17. Lawjester

Looks like we’re getting yet another route for TSW and it’s not the LIRR. I’m so upset!!!

18. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

You probably shouldn't set any sort of expectations as far getting this route into the game. It's a great suggestion but as of right now, that's all it is; a suggestion. I'm sure DTG has their own road map for the implementation of future routes and if they decide to take a suggestion and run with, I'm sure it wouldn't be announced this quickly as they have to develop it first.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Lawjester

I understand what your saying, however the LIRR happens to be one of the most asked for routes in the history of Train Simulator and Train Sim World. If you were to look all over steam discussions, their are so many pages of articles for the request of the Long Island Railroad but since this website platform is on the newer side it doesn’t have any LIRR discussions besides for this. The LIRR is rivaling with the people who want Australian routes at this point. All I hope for is that the LIRR should come as soon as possible!!!

20. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

US -> UK -> Germany; that's the precedent that DTG are setting at the moment so maybe you'll get lucky and they'll swing back around to the US now with this in mind.

21. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

That anyone will draw conclusion from the teaser is beyond me.. you can make anthing of those lines

22. Lawjester

Really hoping this route will be released after Rapid Transit! It seems that an American passenger route could be an obvious choice for the next route since a passenger route for America hasn’t been released yet.

23. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Ugh...I can't say anything for sure about what DTG is doing on this...but stop it with the whole being convinced that DTG is going to do the LIRR thing. There are more routes than just the LIRR, more that can be considered an 'obvious choice' as well. Chicago has passenger, the NEC has passenger, California has passenger, Washington has passenger...and it is not even confirmed that DTG is going to do passengers in the US. Yes, that they will do passengers is fairly obvious, but where and how they do passengers is up for grabs. The chance that DTG will choose this specifically is low.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Sparkplug

Sparkplug New Member

I don't think it would sell all that well. Kinda boring route unless you live there I guess.

25. Lawjester

That’s not necessarily true. It happens to be the busiest Railroad in America and it goes into major underground terminals like Penn Station and has really scenic urban views and as a bonus their are so many grade crossings to keep you occupied while driving. Also what do you define as boring? Boring to me is the GWE being that their is barely any side action besides arriving and departing stations and theirs no horn usage. In this route you could explore so much and go on multiple branches.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  26. Benjwri

Benjwri Member

You first suggested this in October. Even if dtg put this above every other route they want to do, 2 months is nowhere near enough time to organise an expensive trip to the US, then to make the route. The earliest they could possibly get a this route out is probably in about a year

27. Lawjester

This route has been wanted for many years but for TS. DTG Jay has said they would like to do this route and I realize this could take a while, so I’m trying to be patient ;).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  28. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

;)

• Like Like x 1
  29. Lawjester

Great song. Puts a great mood in everyone!

30. Lawjester

For reference, when I requested Ronkonkoma, Babylon/Montauk, and Port Jefferson branches I don’t mean that DTG should make all of them at once (which I would love but they would never make that much at once). I’m saying that those are the longest and most known branches on the LIRR and would be the best candidate for this route.

31. Sparkplug

Sparkplug New Member

Na Still sounds boring lets have something that has freight and passenger. I guess I'm not a horn blower LOL

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  32. Lawjester

All good! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and requests. I’d like to know if anyone has a preference to what DTG should make with the LIRR (when they hopefully decide to make it)? Like which branches they should make like the Babylon/Montauk or Ronkonkoma and Port Jefferson branches? Tell me what you would like to see in terms of the LIRR.

33. Mattg17

Mattg17 Member

Well, there's a couple of standpoints on terms of what can be included if they were to do certain parts of the Network. If they just did the Montauk Branch, then there wouldn't really need any NYA equipment as (*IIRC) they haven't ran out in my area for like years. I'd say that the best bet would be for them to do the entire Network, as it's pretty much possible to see all the stock that typically runs on the route (keeping electrification in mind). Plus, I think it would be interesting for someone to try and drive the #2798 Cannonball out to Montauk on Summer Fridays.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Lawjester

Well I’d love to see all the LIRR in TSW being that I live two blocks away from an LIRR station but we also must be realistic and for DTG to even do the full Montauk Branch is a huge thing. We have to take baby steps and hopefully end up with a whole network of LIRR branches for TSW. PS if the Montauk Branch is released for TSW the first thing I’ll drive is the Cannoball assuming it will be present on the schedule system in TSW.

35. Mattg17

Mattg17 Member

Too true. although the Montauk Branch is shorter (just) than the Pacific Surfliner, so it is doable. As for the schedules, i'm a bit picky when it comes to those, mainly considering Montauk schedules change per the time of year. That, and then add the deadheads to the mix (hard enough to find those publicly, I happened to get lucky sitting out in Patchogue one night and found them tacked to a billboard that has since been removed). All I can say is we'll have a pretty interesting set of trains to work with.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Lawjester

I will take as much LIRR as I can get and I can’t wait for the LIRR to be released. (Hopefully)

37. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Awesome proposal!!

To see this route in TSW would be a dream. Though, it will be quite some time, before this is ever conceived, if they even consider doing it. As for their next route offering, I think it will circle back into the states.. But not in a way that will make U.S. railfans or fans of U.S. rail very happy. We've seen what GWE offered. While it looks good, the length of the route wasn't well received, and has more than likely not done much to keep players entertained. Which, most like myself, resort to coming back to something more established and with variety, and replay time.. TS 2018.

• Like Like x 1
  38. Lawjester

Well the LIRR also has smaller branches like the Port Jefferson Branch (which is not that big), Oyster bay branch, or the Long Beach Branch etc. The LIRR can most definitely be done in smaller branches but it may not be as big as starting off with the Montauk Branch. We could also get two branches like getting the Long Beach Branch which is an electric branch and uses the Atlantic Branch and Valley interlocking and getting the Oyster Bay Branch which is a diesel branch and uses the main line. Two different branches which add up to a nice sized route and both covering two sides of the LIRR, I would love that. If getting smaller branches initially and then getting bigger branches eventually means getting the LIRR, I’m all for it!

39. rare_common_sense

As long as the route has substance to it, and a fair amount of replay value to it. I'm for it as well.

• Like Like x 1
  40. Jay ace

Jay ace New Member

Is DTG making MTA LIRR routes??? Yes or No

41. rare_common_sense

It's possible that they could be. Time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

Not too unlikely that they would extend the NEC route with part of the LIRR. While he isn't the sole person to decide what route gets made, Matt also said once that he likes the idea of it.

• Like Like x 5
  43. JackRyan

JackRyan Member

I think that the port Washington could be a very nice start. Not too long and not too time consuming.

44. Lawjester

It may, but it doesn’t even come close to a good branch that can really represent the beauty of the LIRR. Something like the Hempstead Branch or Long Beach Branch is not long at all but it gives you the full experience of Jamiaca Station, Atlantic Terminal and Penn Station plus the Port Washington Branch does not have much scenery whilst the Long Beach does. Any branch however is a good branch and let’s hope DTG decides to do it on TS/TSW!

• Like Like x 3
  45. Jay ace

Jay ace New Member

I would love to see the whole LIRR routes all together. Hopefully after that just maybe they can also make route from New York penn station to Nigeria Falls NY but I understand it's to long of route but if they can make money then it shouldn't be no problem. I understand that will take long time but its worth it. NEC yes DTG should Extend NEC Route from NY penn to Washington DC union station. Which you know they are half the route but that would also be awesome to.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  46. Lawjester

Well, getting all or most of the LIRR is the dream, but unfortunately not realistic. I would like DTG to do it like they’ve done with the UK routes, add more and more branches onto it, but DTG wouldn’t do it, and there’s not much American third party, more European. If they did it for TS we’d probably get more at first and more added on, and if it is in TSW we’d get less, and possibly more added on. I hope LIRR comes to both TS and TSW, because it deserves to be represented in both, because of how long DTG neglected it.

47. Mikeyob

Mikeyob New Member

Actually, they need to continue up to Boston in TSW. This could be a duel project. Also ct is geographically different then Long Island.

48. Lawjester

If you haven’t heard already, cActUsjUiCe is making the FULL NEC once editor tools come out, (I’d rather him do it then DTG). Thus opening up some time to extend to Long Island at a later date. But yes DTG should extend towards Stamford at least and make GCT and the Metro North before the editor tools and while they make that, also release the LIRR. Let’s hope for LIRR and Metro North soon!

• Like Like x 1
  49. Lawjester

Just about a year of this thread being made and the Long Island Railroad is announced for TSW. I can’t wait for this DLC and it’s because of this community we’re getting it. Thank you all!

• Like Like x 5
  50. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the first route proposal for TSW to make it into TSW! Nice work spreading the word on this idea, I know I didn't actively say anything on here, but you did get my attention- and, more importantly, DTG's attention! I hope that other proposals will one day make it as well.

• Like Like x 3