Class 800 For Tsw2

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by tfortyleralt, Jul 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. tfortyleralt

tfortyleralt New Member

why don't we have a 800 for TSW2 It would be cool

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  2. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

That would be lovely to look at

3. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

japan class 800 is good train

4. TrainSim_Fan

TrainSim_Fan Well-Known Member

I believe he was referring to the British Class 800.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tfortyleralt

tfortyleralt New Member

It is the same thing

6. TrainSim_Fan

Not last I checked, including what google has told me.;)

7. tfortyleralt

tfortyleralt New Member

well they are built in japan so practically same thing just a small difference

8. TrainSim_Fan

One Is narrow gauge the other standard gauge, a bit more than a small difference. And no the 800 is not standard gauge in Japan, it's not a Shinkansen.

Edit : The class 800 (similar to the 395) is based on the Shinkansen.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There is no Class 800 in Japan. The Class 800 was built in Japan and UK by Hitachi specifically for UK. There are a couple of train types called ‘800 Series‘ in Japan but no Class 800, so ‘Japan Class 800’ as posted above could mean any of three or more trains. My guess would be that he meant the 800 series Shinkansen. That is a also a good train.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TrainSim_Fan

I'll feed this info into la Google, seeing as Google knows nothing.

11. Dtl15

Dtl15 New Member

I don't get it that everyone is into the 800s. The new garbage from Hitachi is well i rather prefer good old trains from BR era like 43 90 91.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tfortyleralt

tfortyleralt New Member

ok then

13. edward.gregg

edward.gregg Active Member

I worked on the VTEC and later LNER Launch team feeding back propaganda to my office. While agree they are uncomfortable compared to what we have had in the past. they are a massive step forward, in quality and reliability. Lets not forget the class 8xx class specs where specified by the government. Hitachi have been very funny from straying from that spec. Both Virgin and LNER came up against stiff opposition when trying to change the spec, from Hitachi, even the colour scheme.

The Class 8xx are fantastic tech, let down by interior design which is very spartan which is what the Japanese like and our governments pockets and railway share holders like.

Dont blame the train! Blame the people who asked for the spec!

Im also a member of the 125 Group, But I understand that the HST is old tech and a replacement is needed! you need to get a grip and look at the world without rose tinted specs.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  14. edward.gregg

I think it would be good alongside a route upgrade, bringing it to 2019 era and extended to Westbury, Swindon or Oxford

• Like Like x 1
  15. edward.gregg

If you google Class 800, the first thing it brings up is the Hitachi AT300 aka BR class 800.

16. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Operationally, Class 800s are far superior trains to HSTs and I don’t think anyone is questioning that: faster accelerations, shorter dwell times at stations and no more diesel under the wires just to name a few benefits. Likewise, the Class 390s have revolutionised the WCML. However, the majority of drivers, train crew, enthusiasts and I’d say a lot of passengers prefer(ed) HSTs. I think you may have misunderstood Dtl15 because I think he was saying in the context of the appeal of 800s within a rail enthusiast and train simulator community and I would agree with him; that doesn’t mean we think HSTs didn’t need replacing or 800s are operationally bad trains but we’re just surprised to see Rail enthusiasts/train sim fans want the Class 800 so much.

To answer my own question, I think it’s because TSW has a very wide spread of ages playing it and no doubt children in their early/mid teens. As the Class 800s are what they are growing up with, it is only natural that they will want to see it on TSW. Certainly in real life, HSTs have a much better driving experience because of a wonderfully laid out cab, an amazing engine sound as well as more skill particularly when stopping at stations due to the air brake- unfortunately you’re unable to appreciate this because TSW has got the brake all wrong on the HST. The Class 800s are a lot more boring in comparison: quieter, combined power/brake controller, electropneumatic braking, a lot of screens in the cab and feels like a generic Japanese train. On a train simulator, however, I think the Class 800s would probably give a better experience least of all because the HST has been poorly done and also because the buttons and screens on the Class 800 will make the cab a lot more interesting and exciting compared to the “dull” HST.

• Like Like x 2
  17. edward.gregg

I agree with all you have said :)

• Like Like x 1