PlayStation Tunnel Visibility

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Samo1, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Game on the left, reality on the right, more light needed please for the Bakerloo Line

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The picture on the right is from a route learning video where there is an extra powerful torch shining out of the cab window for the purpose of that video. That’s not how it looks with just the train’s lights on.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Ok, interesting to know

• Like Like x 1
  4. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

As we know from NTP or TVL, Those routes all have terrible visibility at night with the headlights on which happens to be the same as real life.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Good comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I did the early morning oil train with a class 40 on NTP yesterday. I used a summer preset and added lots of cloud cover. I could see the sky but not the track at the start of the run. I know the route so well now that I know where I am even in complete darkness. It’s great fun and the sky looked brilliant at times (even with the usual blocky appearance it has). It was getting fairly light by the time I got to Leeds. I have previously done the whole run in complete darkness, which can be boring with very little to look at, but a good achievement.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

having watched vids of the bakerloo line on youtube, i know there are fixed lights in some of the tunnels but not in DTG tunnels

• Like Like x 1
  8. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I honestly only play night services when it’s part of a scenario specifically because I enjoy looking around at the scenery. I do remember running one of the night freight services on Peninsula corridor and actually really enjoyed the way the lights would light up some of the route and when you would go by station lights made it fun. I guess that’s one of the things I’m very excited for with TSW2. The lighting during the streams I saw was SO much better then TSW, to the point that I’m going to be more open to running night services. That new dynamic sky is making a difference too. When they added cab sway into TSW it made a huge impact on immersion, these other small but big changes are going to make a huge impact all together. I can’t believe we made it, but 6 days until launch. I’m very excited and hope you all are too!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

A bit dark but then again if it was in real life the 'naked eye' would let in more light etc. Cant really do that with a game!

• Like Like x 3
  10. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

So, if you watch a Bakerloo Line cab view on YouTube you benefit from the high-powered torch drivers will add to the front of the train to make those videos. You also benefit from the maintenance lamps being turned on in tunnels. The level of darkness in TSW2's Bakerloo Tunnels is pretty accurate.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Playing in a darkened room should help a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

100%, shall be doing that

13. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Having spent a fair amount of times in (non tube) tunnels, I'd agree that visibility is very poor and that TSW2 is realistic in this regards.

I think that the issues on TSW2 stem down to:

- Speed signs and other reflective items are not reflective enough. In the stream it was a struggle to see some of the speed change signs.

- Signal lights didn't give much of a glow. In reality they light up a lot of the tunnel around them.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Patrick Kolinski

Patrick Kolinski Active Member

You right....saw it and was horrible!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Interesting to know, I’m happy for my criticism to be corrected

• Like Like x 1
  16. jeanmarc094

jeanmarc094 Well-Known Member

Not in the subject of this thread but in yesterday stream, Matt said he had no idea how the game would look in a ps5. i assume DTG doesnt have a ps5 dev kit??

17. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

possibly i think anything next gen is still up in the air when it comes to info glad once the consoles are out everyone will know everything about them

18. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

It's more a case of one job at a time. We're not making a dedicated next generation console version of the game, but we will ensure it works with their backward compatible functionality once it's out.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

That’s extremely disappointing to know, backwards compatibility will only be a real benefit game play wise if frame rates are increased but no dedicated next gen version is a real shame and a real missed opportunity in my opinion

• Like Like x 3
  20. Knightfire1964

well we still don't know how much they are going to be or even have a set in stone release date so i think we can give them some slack we still have a while till they come out

21. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Not everyone will be able to afford the next gen console so it wouldn't be proportionate to invest alot of time into making it for the next gen

• Like Like x 1
  22. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

If only half of the performance stats are true it will be a huge benefit without a dedicated version anyway. The optimized memory usage is very likely to make especially games like TSW run very well better.
    Nearby releasing games with dedicated PS5/XSX versions aside from the big studios are not very common anyway.
    We can assume that a more optimized version will be released next summer, whether it's TSW3 or TSW 2022 then.

• Like Like x 1
  23. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The thing is, this is a PS4 game, not a PS5 game. Once the PS5 is out and established, that will be the time for the devs to start thinking about a PS5 game. They won’t have a PS5 themselves until it is released.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Knightfire1964

yeah although i'm more leaning to go to series x one thing that baffles me is how quiet PlayStation has been with backwards compatibility pretty sure one of the heads from PlayStation said at the time of backwards compatibility being released on xbox said it was stupid and wouldn't be useful yet i'm able to play classic games like star wars battlefront 2 star wars republic commando battlefield 3 on the xbox and how xbox wants you to keep your library as a priority as a customer is very nice to know

• Like Like x 1
  25. mark.bolter

mark.bolter Active Member

I’m all for realistic looks but it’s a shame it’s a bit dark to see...just a bit brighter would’ve been nice to see some detail that’s my only gripe

• Like Like x 2
  26. mark.bolter

mark.bolter Active Member

Certainly adds to the realism...just hope my train don’t break down in a tunnel

• Like Like x 2
  27. metr0p0litain

metr0p0litain Active Member

It's right that some cab ride videos are made with an additional high-powered light, especially videos from "video 125" like this one:

But from my point of view, I don't think that the darkness shown in the stream is pretty accurate. If the stream represents the darkness without any loss of brightness, then it's really too dark. On the other hand, the lighting shown in this screen was too bright in the upper area:

[​IMG]

So, "the truth lies somewhere in the middle" like I've shown in this thread: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/too-dark-tunnels-on-the-bakerloo-line.24963 I hope my hint can still be taken into account.

• Like Like x 3