Frames Per Second

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Wooki74, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Wooki74

Wooki74 Active Member

So after the q and a ,am I right that on Xbox theFPS is 25 to 30 which is lower than the tsw 2020 . Was they refering to the base Xbox or one X ? If it's one X then that is a downgrade which is a pretty poor show.

2. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

no tsw 2020 ran at around the same fps between 25 to 30fps well for me being on an old xbox one. not sure though if they meant the resolution though was higher may watch the stream again tomorrow but i'm not to fussed being on 30 fps

• Like Like x 1
  3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I think more developers will go towards newer tech to deliver the experience they want rather than an optimisation they get slated for now with the new releases. I think it’ll only be a matter of time before new games are throttled back loads on console

4. Knightfire1964

agree many games for next gen consoles are offering a selection of either 1080p for 60fps or 4k for 30fps which I think allows the people who want the game smooth have an option and for people who want higher res have an option

5. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

I'm getting between 45 and 60 FPS on my xbox one x with TSW, so definitely hoping to hit the same FPS with TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

The FPS in the new game will be the same or better than you're getting in TSW2020. The question was worded specifically and covered base and enhanced consoles, asking about "typical" FPS.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wooki74

Wooki74 Active Member

Think NTP is the worst performer very occasionally it will hit 50 frames but mainly it's between 40 and 30 with drops as low as 20 frames.

8. Knightfire1964

Well on original xbox I run from 25 to 30fps and I'm fine with it but I am hoping to upgrade to series x as I already have a 4k TV ready to use it

9. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

Since the resolution has been quadrupled on Xbox One X, I'm afraid framerates will be even worse than before. But we'll see. I just don't believe we will get the "same or better" performance when the previous game struggled even at 1080p, and now it's 4K. UHD resolution is great, of course, but I'm afraid it's at the cost of even more performance.

10. chieflongshin

I’m heading to steam on this one rather than sexbox

11. Knightfire1964

12. chieflongshin

Im heading to Steam to buy TSW2 rather than Xbox this time round for the “hopefully” better experience. I’ve been playing last few games on Xbox 1x and I fancy seeing it without throttling.

13. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...pretty impressive frame rate numbers with TSW 2020 on your Xbox One X. Will you be running in 4K mode once you get TSW 2? If so, be sure to post the frame rate numbers you’re getting in this thread.

14. DTG Protagonist

Not so. Enabling 4k on the X1X should come with no impact to FPS performance.

• Like Like x 3
  15. krustynuggets

Definitely going to be in 4K dude my TV is 4K so the picture will be slicing my eyeballs it's that sharp, same as original TSW on my TV.

16. dreampage

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it, and will be very happy if that's the case. TSW 2020 seems to be struggling constantly even on One X, on every route.

17. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

I’m curious, the Xbox One X is a very strong system... what specific issues are you running into with 2020 running on that platform? Are they performance issues or something else?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  18. dreampage

The Xbox One X is strong on paper but in reality its CPU is the same as the regular Xbox One, only 31% faster. But it's still extremely slow. TSW 2020 is a very CPU heavy game so it results in low and extremely fluctuating framerates. Anything between 20 and 60, usually sticking to the lower end. During higher speeds the game regularly stutters too, freezing for a split second before resuming, which is off-putting (especially when meeting another loco on the track, it always happens). This low performance really hampers the overall experience.

19. krustynuggets

You must have a pretty poo xbox then, I'm running a xbone 1x solidly banging 45 to 60 FPS on all routes, have all dlc and not having any issues at all, it's smooth as silk for me, Tv is 4K not sure if that helps too tho??

20. chieflongshin

My one x is the same. It stutters at times. I’m just used to it now so I couldn’t provide any clarity to a given situation that creates it

21. Markerson

Markerson Member

I think it’s down to the fact that tiles in the distance are streamed into existence rather then being pre-loaded. I often see the game pausing when other services are approaching.

I asked a question for a q&a and the answer from Matt was that TSW2 is better at handling these instances and whilst the game may still get the occasional stutter it should be better than TSW2020 and certainly no worse.

22. DTG Protagonist

Just to confirm, this evening's stream will be on Xbox One X.

• Like Like x 3
  23. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

Somehow I realized the FPS has been cranked up to around 30-40. Before I had always 25-30

• Like Like x 1
  24. dreampage

I watched the stream. Consider me officially amazed! TSW 2 seems to be running MUCH better than TSW 2020, even on Sand Patch Grade with a 52-long consist! It was great to see the One X version in action, even in the 1080p mode (I'll be playing in that anyway). Looking at the frame counter Matt had on display it was clear the game ran at around 40-60 fps all the way. This is way different than TSW 2020 and a big improvement.

I don't know if you'll show the game on One X any more this week but I'm impressed regardless, and can't wait to finally start it myself!

• Like Like x 3
  25. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I didn't see any lag very odd I only saw the motion blur

• Like Like x 1
  26. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Yeah, I saw it too. Also, I don't know if it was intentional or not but 'summer / rain' is a traditionally a great disguiser of those poor draw distances when things are moving at speed so using those settings offered no real indication as to how improved TSW2 is in this department. I sat thru most (not all) of the stream and whilst the dialogue was excellent I couldn't help but feel that the visual content had gone through a process of careful consideration in order to make things look as attractive as possible.
    Not that it matters, mind you, because it's not a pre-order stunt and there will be plenty of other videos in due course.

One question: When the train is upto speed do the wheels still look like they've just reached 88mph and are on the verge of time travelling from 1885?

27. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

Running 4k on SPG on the "8" camera I was getting 25fps. Running at HD I get 50fps. This is on Xbox One X

28. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Actually now that DTG have enabled full support for the power of the Xbox One X, I'm seeing better frame rates on Preserved routes in TSW2 over the TSW 2020 version.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Of course it's going to double, you're reducing the texture quality and pressure on the CPU/GPU. What DTG Protagonist was saying is that enabling 4K mode will give you 25-30fps, it won't drop any lower.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Bob12212

Me too, much smoother.

31. Bob12212

Yes, and at no point did I say I expect to get 50fps at 4k. I was simply stating my experience. It's great that they have given the option to switch between the two.

32. Bob12212

Much smoother now. 4k will give you around same fps as before. In HD setting you'll get much higher frame rate. As they've stated, they've clearly put a lot of work into optimisation for console.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020