PlayStation Old Feature-new To Console-sandpatch Radio Chatter!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by matthewbguilford, Jul 23, 2020.

1. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    We are only a handful of weeks away from the release of TSW2 and I wanted to bring up a feature that many on console are probably not aware of. With TSW2 will come our first ever chance to spend time on the Sandpatch route. One thing over the years when watching YouTube videos of Sandpatch that stuck out the most to me is...Radio chatter! As your driving through this route you not only have the sounds of the locomotive and surroundings, you also get to hear radio chatter from other train drivers and railroad workers. I can’t give an exact example, but you hear communication back and forth between the dispatcher and it really adds something to the experience that your working on a CSX freight route. This is something I’m very excited for the console players to experience this first hand, and I look forward to hear from all of you what you think of it and I’ll share my experience as well! Thanks everyone! I posted a link to an older video on YouTube that shows an example.
    UPDATE: Sandpatch Radio chatter on consoles Is confirmed!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

This content has not yet been confirmed - we will have to wait to see when they are ready with their Production Build - until that point, everything is up in the air, and anything could get removed and not make the final cut.

I haven't seen a list of confirmed confirmed content that has gone through the confirmation process yet.

Obviously - as an aspiration, it is truly fabulous that Sand Patch might come to console - but it's a bit premature to expect it to actually be part of the release for TSW2. Let's just wait and see.

*crosses fingers*

3. matthewbguilford

If you refer to question number 6 from the Sandpatch Q&A. They have also stated working crossings are the only difference between the TSW2020 and TSW2, which they have also stated they would like to get working again at some point. 07FF3952-B6E1-4D2C-9F46-BAF662E3A3B6.jpeg Radio chatter is part of Sandpatch and DTG said the PC and console versions are the same in respect to the amount of wagons your system can handle. It will be coming to TSW2 on consoles.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Plastic Pal

Oh - I wasn't talking about radio chatter (or chatterin' about it....!). I was referring to the whole route.

Until we see the route listed in the final product description, just before the game is released, there is no certainty that TSW2 will include Sand Patch..... at all. As we have now learned, things can change during the course of game development - and we can't hold a game developer to their promises - it's just not fair to them.

We will just have to wait and see if they include the route. Obviously they hope to include it... but we don't know what we will get until we get it. So I am choosing to be patient. And optimistic - I hope to see the route.... but we should assume nothing.

Whatever happens - I am sure it will be fine.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  5. matthewbguilford

I think we can be absolutely certain Sandpatch will come to TSW2. They have specifically stated Sandpatch will be part of the core 3 routes in TSW2.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

Could you two please stop fighting in this thread? You've had enough chances to agree to disagree, and there is no reason to bore the forum users again.
    There is also no reason to quote with zoom factor 20!

• Like Like x 1
  7. matthewbguilford

Im just trying to have a conversation with other forum members which is why I created the thread. I can’t help that someone wants to question whether Sandpatch will come to TSW2. I certainly was trying to resume to what my original thread was about.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Plastic Pal

Oh good...! Well - I am very glad about your levels of certainty.

But if Sand Patch doesn't make it into TSW2.... say... it gets dropped at the last minute... then that is okay with me, as I already have it on PC. I would LOVE to see it on PS4, but it wouldn't be a loss to me if DTG decided to drop the route from the launch package, for whatever reason.

I'd be happy either way.

On PC - the radio chatter feature in TSW is awesome. The scope of the scenarios is awesome. The tutorials are fabulous. I'd LOVE to see these features come to PS4 in TSW2... if that is what they decide to do in the end, when they finalise the product.

• Like Like x 1
  9. matthewbguilford

I also can’t wait to see these features coming to console for the first time. If it gets your approval, I can’t wait!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Plastic Pal

[removed by Protagonist]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2020
  11. matthewbguilford

I see your worried Sandpatch will not release in TSW2 because NEC isn’t coming to the preserved collection. Sandpatch has been specifically announced for TSW2, NEC wasn’t specifically announced as part of the preserved collection that could be brought over to TSW2. I hope that helps your worries.

12. Plastic Pal

Oh good! I am sure you are probably right.

I am going to "trust the universe" on this one. If the universe decides that we get the route - then that's great. If the universe decides that we shouldn't get it... then that's fine as well.

Sometimes you just have to stop trying to row against a raging river... and just let it take you where it wants you to go. Even if that is over the edge of some falls and onto some sharp rocks 500 feet below. It's all good, in the end. Some things are meant to happen, and some aren't.

13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to the revamped Sandpatch, long slow freight routes aren't really my thing and I only drove it a couple of times when TSW came out. I think the new revamped version will be excellent and I think even I will enjoy driving it!

• Like Like x 1
  14. theorganist

I think the intentions of the opening poster were intended to enthuse and create discussion, that isn't what seems to have happened however!

• Like Like x 1
  15. matthewbguilford

I definitely think it’s the best route to give some attention too. Considering it’s the first route from TSW I can only imagine 4 years later what a little bit of love can do. With the new Unreal engine upgrades and the adhesion physics it has so much more appeal then before!

• Like Like x 1
  16. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

May be I am wrong, but I believe they mentioned on the Q&A, on PC amount on wagons will increase from 40 to 80, and on consoles from 20 to 40....

17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I submitted the question for the Q&A about whether the voice acting was still featured in the route but alas the question was not answered. I asked because there are lots of new services added to the new version and was wondering whether this would mean that some services had voices and others not (as I can’t see them recording any new voice content) or whether they would have removed it all to make all content the same (and save audio channels). I don’t know how much of the content in the original features radio chatter but I believe some instructions are voiced as well, which was what I was specifically interested in.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

I think it would be awesome to have radio chatter (and I have heard it in various youtube videos) in CSX Sand Patch for consoles!

When I used to film train action, I always had my belt radio with me and on to track any rail comms (engineer, dispatcher, yard). Playing some of those videos back now and hearing the companion radio chatter definitely adds to the experience for me... I hope they consider adding this if it isn’t in there already.

19. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

On Microsoft Train Simulator, some addons, locomotives where you were in the cab, as part of it sounds, there were real train radio communication audios.
    If we could not have a true radio communication in order to listen and reply, at least to have these communication audios will provide a more real experience!.

20. theorganist

Yes I remember those now, I had forgot all about them.

There is also the RETB radio on the West Highland Line for TS1 although that isn't quite what you are looking for.

21. matthewbguilford

I wonder how much work it takes to implement radio chatter. I imagine it gets hard just because you would need to have a wide library of radio recordings for it not to become too repetitive. I wonder if instead of hiring voice actors if they could record a day or two worth of radio chatter while they are researching railroads and have it randomly play during services and services. One thing I’ve learned from TSW is the small things can make a big difference with the experience.

22. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

I've got a request out to find out about radio chatter. Once I have a reply, you will too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. matthewbguilford

You were thinking a lot about the radio for Sandpatch as well. Glad to see I’m not the only one and those are good questions!

• Like Like x 1
  24. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

This is one of my favorite things about CSX Heavy Haul, listening to all the radio chatter and voices in the scenarios. I'm stating the obvious here, these really helped to improve immersion on that route, so I was a bit disappointed when basically every other DLC released since have omitted these things.

I really do wish there was more development time given to each and every DLC, not just to squash out some bugs, but to add all these small touches that really bring the route to life. The original SPG is a perfect example of this:)

• Like Like x 4
  25. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

matthewbguilford

Thanks for this, it would be a game changer and is a feature that is sorely missing, really hope it's in the release build.

• Like Like x 2
  26. matthewbguilford

Yes, of course! We aren’t 100% it’s going to be included on consoles yet, but with all the information we have I’m pretty confident it will be there! I really think the console audience will really enjoy the small but interesting feature for the first time.

• Like Like x 3
  27. matthewbguilford

Will we learn about this and resolution for base and pro versions of the consoles in tonight’s TSW2 Q&A stream?

• Like Like x 1
  28. Matzo

Matzo Active Member

I'm worried there has been no gameplay stream of sand patch grade yet... Especially console specific. As the only route consoles have never had, it seems not only a wasted opportunity to not showcase it, but also gets me thinking it's still undergoing some heavy work... I dunno, gives me an uneasy feeling.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

They are doing a stream next week of it possibly on Monday by the sounds of it as protagonist said they would try and see if they can do it on console

• Like Like x 3
  30. matthewbguilford

I think all of the console players would appreciate a Sandpatch console stream so I hope that does happen! I remember two years ago and hoping that they had learned enough to optimize Sandpatch for console, and here we are! Having Sandpatch on console will fill that big empty feeling us console players have had to live with!

31. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

yeah and i have been enjoying allot of freight work on tsw so this will be great to have

• Like Like x 1
  32. matthewbguilford

We have great news, Sandpatch Radio chatter for consoles has been confirmed! I hope everyone gets to enjoy it for the first time!

• Like Like x 2
  33. matthewbguilford

Just wanted to say I am almost finished with my first Sandpatch scenario and I’m absolutely loving it! The way they are communicating over the radio is immersive. Coming up to a carved out mountain side, my 2nd man (?) told me how If floods hadn’t carved out the mountain side passage we would have to travel an extra 10 miles around it. That right there was a moment I had that I haven’t before. I felt like I was driving on a real route that has existed longer then it took to download. I wouldn’t need a history lesson for all routes,but that was a very enjoyable moment for me that felt really natural.

• Like Like x 1
  34. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Why did this thread have to start off so poorly thank god Plastic Pal is banned .But on topic I have heard the radio chatter

• Like Like x 2
  35. matthewbguilford

Have you had a chance to check out the first scenario? Did you like it?

36. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

It was very nice & kinda realistic overall it's a 10/10

• Like Like x 1