Thoughts On Livery Designer

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Anthony Pecoraro, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I think this looks like a really fun and interesting tool. It looks relatively easy to use and you can do quite a lot with it. I really liked that ICE repaint.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

It looks good....but I think the lack of being able to share designs is a HUGE omission (something I hope will be addressed very soon).
    Yes, you can copy over the file/s from someone else if it is uploaded somehere...but as confirmed in this stream, it will overwrite ALL your own designs if you have any :(

• Like Like x 4
  3. Captaintraincrash

Captaintraincrash Active Member

I really like it its very simple and looks like the Forza Editor which was very simple overall it looks great the ICE3 Custom Livery looks great.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Captaintraincrash

Captaintraincrash Active Member

I hope the Modding Community will figure it out.

5. Anthony Pecoraro

trainsimcz

6. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Didn't trainsimz say on multiple occasions she has no intention of buying TSW2?

7. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

I'll probably only use this to mess around with to see how it is, i'd rather use the proper designs to add realism. But nice touch!

(Whose going to be the first to draw the male genitalia) ;):o

• Like Like x 2
  8. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

All I can say is it's very hot

• Like Like x 1
  9. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

It should prove fun and challenging to use,but a all black ice3 does look cool.

10. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Looks pretty similar to Forza Motorsport livery tool. With a bit of patience (and passion) we will can build almost everything.
    The question is, 300 is enough if for example I want to "build" the Coca-Cola logo?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  11. jazznsf

jazznsf Member

The trick will be to use a vector-based program like Illustrator, then convert the vector graphic to a raster image in a program like Photoshop. Using that method you should have the best of all possible worlds, graphically speaking. :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

I also think it's a good basis to work with and with the experience of every Forza livery designer since FM2 I can happily agree with you on that. :)

As a start it's really good. The only thing which is bothering me a bit are indeed the 300 layers - these could turn out to be not enough indeed. I remember some forza liveries of mine having 6,500+ layers due to the use of logos like this.
    Of course a high variety of shapes will help in reducing the need of total layers. From what I've seen in the stream this looked quite good, maybe even better than Forza. :)

Anyway - as this is only the first version of the livery editor I think there is a good chance that there will be a solution for this in the future. :)

I'll definetely start research for Talent2 liveries now... :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  13. trigzd

trigzd Active Member

It's slightly disappointing that you can't upload your own images to use in the editor but I also understand why and maybe that will come some time down the line, but this looks like a great starting point and fairly intuitive to use!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

I really like the look of it

15. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

The livery editor looks fun and the potential is certainly there given what staff at DTG could create. I’m not sure if 300 tiles/layers will be enough, time will tell..

It’ll be a fun alternative to driving and I can’t wait to see what people knock up, I’m rubbish at things like that, I have zero creative skills but will give it a whirl.

It sounds like they’re going to eventually expand on the editor and let it grow, I hope this will then open up the option of sharing designs with other users.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Anthony Pecoraro

You can have multiple shapes per layer.

17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Not according to last night’s stream. Matt was very clear in saying one shape is one layer.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Anthony Pecoraro

Then he said you can group several shapes into 1 layer.

19. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

You can group layers to move and resize them together but they will still remain as separate layers for the total count. You can also copy a group to put on other coaches in a train, which each have 300 layers.

• Like Like x 2
  20. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Definitely said one shape per layer, and that layers can be grouped together for moving and resizing, but 300 layers equals 300 shapes.

300 layers per individual vehicle in the consist. So an 8 vehicle consist could have up to 2400 layers, but still no more than 300 per vehicle, so no trying to put all 2400 layers on the loco.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  21. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

Indeed, if you want those groups to count as one layer you would probably need to save the group as an extra shape which is not (yet) possible. Even then it's not sure if it would count as the actual used layers as well, at least in Forza they always were counted as they were (e.g. a Pirelli logo with 250 layers). As there was a limit of about 10,000 or more layers per car (I would need to look up the expect number but it doesn't really matter I think) this was not very critical.

The higher the desired grade of perfection is, the more layers are needed... if we want the exact DB font recreated by ourselves the 300 layers are probably needed for the loco number only.
    If it's ok to use the standard font it would be below 20 then. So compromises will be necessary at the beginning.

The possibility to save some of the groups would be very good to have sometime, so we wouldn't have to start from scratch for every logo again. :)

• Like Like x 1
  22. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I don't get why can't we customize preserved collection trains in tsw2 especially if not all of them are coming out at launch and especially if the game was delayed. The whole point of a livery editor is to customize your train. I think the fact that they don't have time to do that is not an excuse because it's not like all the preserved collection routes are coming at launch. If they were all coming I could understand but since they're not I find that inexcusable. Come on Dovetail. I hope it'll come in the future

• Like Like x 1
  23. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

it could be to do with licensing as the licensing may have changed to allow dtg to use the trains on the livery editor for the tsw 2 routes but they can't change the license for the routes on tsw 2020

• Like Like x 1
  24. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Again. 300 is enough for this one? (I suppose no)

[​IMG]

emp0.jpg
    emp.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  25. SHINO BAZ

Matt also said save your work offen while building you design,could this hint at a problem to be worried about.

• Like Like x 3
  26. Anthony Pecoraro

They would have to re-map the existing textures to make it work with the livery designer.

27. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

Yes and that's an enormous amount of work. Depending how the texture mapping was set up before it can easily be as time consuming as a complete rebuild of the 3D Model to make it work properly. This would of course be very cool (I would hope for the BR 185) but it's not likely going to happen. That's unfortunately the nature of 3D modelling.. or in this case texturing...

Depends on the preset shapes and if you're open for font compromises. But the longer I'm looking at it the more I'd go for a 'no'. We'll see next week... :D

• Like Like x 2
  28. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Those trains have already been built a certain way before livery designer was a thing. Newer trains are made in a different way so that they work with the livery designer. To have all the TSW trains work with it they would have to build them all again. That’s a lot of trains to rebuild, and another two months delay on the release. Not economically viable at all.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I hope it could be a future thing though, as matt says, anything is possible

30. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yes. There could be a policy started where they slowly work through the old trains as and when they appear in new routes, fully updating one train at a time alongside working on new content. They could get through a lot of the old trains fairly rapidly. I’m not saying it’s likely to happen but it is one way to do it.

• Like Like x 2
  31. jazznsf

jazznsf Member

So... you can't upload your own work, external to the editor? There goes my Illustrator > Photoshop workaround... :-(

32. trigzd

trigzd Active Member

No, not according to yesterday’s Q&A stream

33. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Saving your work often is a good habit, no matter what you are doing. It is good for creating TSW2 liveries, for writing long Word documents and for anything you can think that takes long to do.

• Like Like x 2
  34. SHINO BAZ

I'm not saying saving your progress is a bad idea,but with dtg testing track record it still worrisome.

• Like Like x 1
  35. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

If it’s a file though I guess you could save multiple versions on pc and include the on you want. Not ideal but I guess if you can’t share you can deal with the odd switcharoo

36. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

They said it took the artist several hours to make the sample liveries for the Q&A. In that time, the game crashed a couple times. So it doesn't look terrible to me (as long as you save frequently). Hopefully they will fix those issues in the next patches, but it is good that they warn us so community members that use that feature don't lose a lot of work if it happens to them.

37. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

The BR 406 livery took 8 hours to make in total and was fine throughout the process. The other skins however each had one crash late into the design (6+ hours in) hence the recommendation that players save frequently.

As for it not being tested, the livery designer has had hundreds of test sessions, but only a dozen or so have gone to this length of time. As it's a live feature there'll be further testing done, and we're hoping you won't shy away from giving us feedback if it has problems of any kind after release.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  38. SHINO BAZ

Whoa,you have to signed into xbox live to use it?What this need to restrict ever fun feature to online use only?

39. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

What next scenario planner

40. SHINO BAZ

Since there no options to share liverys or senarios with others then restrictioning these options to online only is a pointless effort,wait is this some kind of cheap punishment for the complaints players have had with the game.Give them fun options then highley restrict there use.

• Like Like x 1
  41. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

IDK what they were thinking but we have to pay for live just to use this.Even though TSW2 isn't an online game just stupid

42. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

“A live feature” doesn’t necessarily mean Xbox Live. Let’s not jump to conclusions, and let Sam clarify what he means.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  43. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Nobody said you have to have xbox live to use it. The word ‘live’ has other uses and meanings.

• Like Like x 1
  44. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

oh he didn't even clarify it whoops but I hope it doesn't mean that type of live

45. SHINO BAZ

I have no problem with xbox live or being online but these features should be useable on or offline.There can be those rare times when internet goes down and having these extra options to pass some of that time would be helpfull.

• Like Like x 2
  46. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

No need for clarification by Sam. It doesn’t require xbox live to use it. It’s completely in-game and nothing is shareable. By ‘live feature’ he means it’s still in development.

• Like Like x 2
  47. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They are. See above.

48. SHINO BAZ

My goodness,with just about 6 day togo before release,of tsw2 i wonder just how many more close calls and panic attacks involving this games little details,we can take before this sequel gets released.

• Like Like x 3
  49. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

I didn’t think he meant Xbox Live. You might be right, but why not give him a chance to tell us what he really meant?

• Like Like x 3
  50. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

By "live" he means it is a feature that will be worked on in the future. He doesn't mean you need to be online or subscribed to "Xbox Live" to use it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1