New York - New Haven: Arriving Too Early When Following Real Timetable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wpannone, Aug 16, 2020.

1. wpannone

wpannone New Member

I’ve made some personal “real New Haven Line schedule” standard scenarios to follow. The scenario I have has my train start and pick-up passengers at the origin. Then proceeds to each station created the timetable so the train arrives right on time with 100% performance. I’ve also included all AI trains that the train will pass with the same 100% performance and exact timetables.

Here’s what I’m having trouble with: if I follow the signal or track speed my train always arrives early to the stations. I take the NY-NH line almost daily and the trains are on-time or even a few minutes late. How can my real timetable I created be made so the trains can never be too early and follow the timetable realistically?

Thank you.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You are assuming the Real Trains Run at 100% which they don't
    If you drive it like a Metro and Full power as the Doors Close and Full Brakes at the Last Min you will be early
    The Problem with Full Braking is if you have misjudged and are going too fast there is no backup.

Real Trains accelerate Slower than those in the game and brake sooner so as to give customers a smooth ride
    And I doubt you have a copy of the Working Timetable for the route - just the Public version.
    So you cannot know what the Actual Times are.

3. wpannone

wpannone New Member

Correct, I don’t have a “working” timetable but the train sticks to the “public” version very well, if not, almost 100% of the time. I try to be as realistic as possible and don’t drive it like a subway, so I perhaps I’m trying to ask the simulator to do too much

4. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

In real life the speed of the trains also varies, you don't always go by the line speed, light signals is also used to adjust the speed, so even if a speed limit sign migt say one thing, the light signals might say otherwise.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. wpannone

wpannone New Member

That’s another thought I was having. I know TS2020s signal speeds aren’t perfect and there’s construction and other variables that can slow the train. I did use 749006’s advice and really smoothed the acceleration and deceleration so acceleration isn’t over 60% and braking is no more than 15%. I was about 1 minute early up until Mt. Vernon East, where I was 5 minutes early from Fordham (there’s a 10 min travel time between Fordham and MVE in the public timetable). So I don’t know what metro north anticipates the 10 min travel time from Fordham to Mt. Vernon East, but for now I try to keep it as real as I can.

6. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

Some of the variables that can effect the schedule are passengers boarding and departing the train, in cab signal speed/track speed, speed the train is travelling, and sometimes track work or temporary platforms at stations. I notice, the schedule for the M2/M4 in TS2020 is more lenient compared to the scenarios for the M8/P32 and push pulls. I also use Fan Railer's mods on the trains as the physics are identical to the train in real life.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member