Metro North M1a/m3a Metropolitan Cars

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by CJM21292, Aug 7, 2020.

1. CJM21292

CJM21292 Well-Known Member

Currently we have 2 Metro-North Commuter rail lines so far in ts2020 the New Haven Line and the Hudson Line. Technically the New Haven Line's equipment is complete minus the M6 ,but when it comes to the Hudson Line we're missing something and that would be the Budd M1A/M3A railcars.
    HISTORY
    In the 1960s Penn Central and the LIRR were falling into a state of disrepair both companies were still running old MU cars from the Pre WWII days. During that time the Metropolitan Transportation Authority formed and took over both the LIRR and Penn Central NYC area commuter lines. The first order of business was to order a large amount of MU cars from Budd called the Metropolitan. The order was funded by both New York State and the MTA for both the LIRR and Metro North 770 M1s were built for LIRR between 1968-1973, an addtional 178 M1As were built for former New York Central Commuter lines (Harlem Line and Hudson Line) from 1971-1973. M3As were built in the early 1980s to supplement the M1As.
    With the arrival of the M3/M3A the M1/M1A had midlife refurbishments done in the late 1980s. The interiors of the M1 and M1A were overhauled to look similar to the M3/M3A. In 1994, all M1s and M1As received headlights mounted on the center top of their front ended fiberglass bonnets to illuminate the top areas. Summary

Seeing as the LIRR Budd M3 version was made for Train Sim World I feel that both the Metro-North M1A and M3A would be perfect for the Hudson Line Route as both of these trains are whats missing from the Metro-North equipment on Train Simulator 2020. In terms of looks and operation these rail cars are very similar to the Cosmopolitan cars that run on the New Haven Line (M2 and M4) except no overhead catenary operation. These Metro-North mu cars are an opportunity that shouldn't be missed this is something that I know for a fact fans have been wanting since the Hudson Line was released. Here are more photos of the M1A/M3A

2. DeepChillWolf

DeepChillWolf New Member

We already have Metro-North Reskins of the M2 and M4s. Reppo could possibly get rid of the AC unit thing on-top of them, make a few changes, and call it the M1 and M3 cars. This would pair well with the Harlem Line if DTG decided to make that route.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CJM21292

CJM21292 Well-Known Member

true i hope reppo has something in the works right now when it comes to Metro-North equipment

• Like Like x 1
  4. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

A conversion from the existing M2 really wouldn't be hard, just remove all OHLE equipment, and get rid of the dual-mode functions.

• Like Like x 2
  5. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I agree, the pantograph mechanisms above the roof of the train, and in cab AC functions would need to be removed, and blue stripe livery would need to be added. Other minor adjustments like the number boards, original/refurbished interior of the M1A/M3A would need to be added and a horizontal slider window for the cab would be need to be added for the Metro North M3A. I also wonder, since the Hudson and New Haven lines exist, if the Harlem line will one day be officially developed to complete the Metro North EOH electrified lines for Train Simulator. It will also be great if DTG also officialy develops the diesel branches of the New Haven line, Harlem line and Hudson line to fully complete Metro North EOH lines.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. NEC Railfan

Well the diesel branches made it into that NYNH revamp, albeit incomplete, the Hudson Line is complete to Poughkeepsie in the Hudson Line Extension, and the Harlem Line is being attempted by multiple individuals, including myself.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  7. malikrthr

Cool, it will be great if DTG could somehow incorporate the extensions and revamped version of the New Haven line into the career scenario with AI traffic. It would be great if there were career scenarios and AI traffic for the extensions. Good luck on also creating the Harlem line. How do you create routes in Train Simulator? What is the difficult level? I would definitely like to learn how to enhance or extend current routes.

8. NEC Railfan

Well, while it is possible to merge both routes, and it is possible to create career scenarios with AI traffic, DTG has never touched anything in the Workshop, except perhaps Matt showcase a route or two back in the day.

It's actually not too hard, harder than Trainz but actually not that hard once you get the hang of it, the best way to learn is through youtube tutorials and practicing, good sources for tutorials are Matt himself and Cactusjuice.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  9. malikrthr

Thanks for letting me know. Glad to hear the route building process is not too difficult. I will check out the tutorials by Matt and CactusJuice.

10. mrjamaica97

mrjamaica97 New Member

Hopefully they make it 85ft like they did with the M7A and not 82ft with the M8 and 83ft with the M2/M4

11. NEC Railfan

I doubt the M2/M4 is 83ft, it's one of the most accurate DLCs to date.

12. malikrthr

The M2/M4 is 85ft.

13. mrjamaica97

mrjamaica97 New Member

Nah i checked the consist length in quick drive editor the day it came out and it said 83ft. Plus compared to the M7A it is shorter in length. And that's the only true 85ft length MNRR EMU