Train Sim World 2 Roadmap

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Protagonist, Aug 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

If it follows the same route as the TS1 route it will be via Rochester. I wonder if it will have the old or new Rochester station.

2. theorganist

Well I would be happy to see a TPE northern route with a class 185 and maybe a southern route featuring NSE slam door stock as a trade off!

I am sure over time that from a UK perspective different areas and eras will be covered.

• Like Like x 3
  3. jake.osbourne1995

jake.osbourne1995 New Member

Will we be seeing any Australian trains and routes added in TSW2? I'd love to see The Indian Pacific line added one day

• Like Like x 3
  4. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Id bet on anything Australian being a 20-30 mile City route than a much much much longer one. The EMU network around Adelaide for example?

• Like Like x 3
  5. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

I loved the dash 8's on the NS/CSX system. Just because of the lower ditch lights. Im glad DTG picked that engine out of them all. I thought it would be a ac6000 instead, another CSX iconic engine.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Class158Perkinsguy

Class158Perkinsguy Member

Being from the east, the closest interaction with Networkers is Cambridge and they are met cam so

7. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

I couldn’t agree less. We’re getting more heritage traction with the IoW route and currently there is a ton of heritage traction in TSW with only two modern UK mainline units (class 166 and 377). By making routes and locos in loads of different eras you split everyone’s collections and scenario planner becomes less realistic. It’s about time they bulk out the our UK modern image collection to make things like scenario planner more interesting for routes like GWR and ECW. Heritage lines might be popular in real but the one heritage route in the game (WSR) doesn’t seem to have proved that popular, with people complaining about a lack of action, mainly due to the 25 mph limit. You’ll never get the next generation involved in railways if you make something they can’t relate to and just say ‘these were the good old days’. To most youngsters their ‘good old days’ are right now. They want to be able to drive the latest and greatest traction.

Making routes set 40 years ago is also a bit of a cop out as there is very little for us to compare it to, you can’t go out and photograph the line and then compare it to the route in game. With a modern route and traction, if something is wrong about the route or train it can be spotted really easily. Should be easier for DTG or other developers to research too.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I, like many many other players, don’t care if a route that’s coming to TSW has already been made for another train simulator. I find the fact that something is in TS to be irrelevant to whether it should or shouldn’t be made for TSW. Two different simulators you see. I see where the criticism comes from if every route that’s made for TSW has already been made by the same developers for TS but it has to be seen in the context of Covid lockdown and the lack of opportunity for getting new info. I’m sure in the future some never before seen routes will appear but for now those of us without TS can look forward to some routes coming sooner than they might have under other conditions. It is a good mix of routes too. Swings and roundabouts, as they say.

• Like Like x 11
  9. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Not everyone likes modern content though. DTG wants to cater to everyone.

• Like Like x 10
  10. bart2day

Fine. Three out of the five UK routes and all the UK loco DLCs in TSW1 were heritage so there is plenty already available for people who like historic stuff. It’s about time we get some modern stuff rolling in but that doesn’t seem to stop some people moaning about it.

11. Anthony Pecoraro

DTG is making one...

• Like Like x 1
  12. bart2day

Yes, and people on here are already moaning about it being too modern.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Anthony Pecoraro

lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. ShaneS89

ShaneS89 Active Member

I personally prefer the old BR stuff to the modern routes, but I do think we are overdue a modern mainline. It’ll be interesting to see the difference between the TSxx and TSW2 versions, the original London to Faversham in nearly 6 years old now.

On the road map in general I’m pretty happy, lots of new content in the works. I do get the feeling some stuff has been left off until the preserved routes are finished, we’ll see in a few months I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
  15. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

TSW 2020 has a lot of classic BR era stuff. Especially when you compare it to modern stuff. We only have two modern DLCs, that being Great Western Express and East Coastway.

I think TSW 2 will cater for all, especially as there are more developers working on it. So we’ll see more modern stuff, as well as classic things.

• Like Like x 6
  16. atevetrago

atevetrago New Member

Why the GP 40-2 isn’t going to be a new DLC for the Sand Patch Grade?

17. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

It was built differently & it would take a long time to remaster the loco

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. atevetrago

atevetrago New Member

Yes but if the game don’t have this loco, we have less services to do!

19. pugsnotdrugs

pugsnotdrugs New Member

don’t have the money to upgrade my system to a pro and i’ve never had a problem with TSW 2020 on the non pro ps4

20. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  21. atevetrago

atevetrago New Member

Yes I know that we are going to have a new loco, but I don’t understand why they can’t put the GP 40-2, I don’t mind when is going to be in the game, I only want that loco like in CSX Heavy Haul, and I’m not the only one that want that loco.

22. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

I too want to drive the GP40-2 on Sandpatch for TSW2. But, the Devs have already made up their minds (same for NEC and SW1000R). One day we'll see the GP40 reused on a different route. But until then, it is what it is.

23. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

From the sound of it, creating LZB in TSW2 can't be much easier than the signalling for NEC

24. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

Totally agree. The TP Nova fleet look amazing and would be great to see in game.

I'm very disappointed that all the British routes are South Eastern England based conductor-rail routes running EMU's. That will be four such routes in a row. Two of which are 'repeats.' Meanwhile, we have the Cumbrian Coast, Cambrian, Heart of Wales, Highland Mainline, Esk Valley, Airedale Lines, Bentham line and the entire Midlands that have never been covered, plus many more.

It's ironic that this is called a roadmap, DTG could really do with using a real life one.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

I do wonder if the current world situation with Covid has influenced the choice of routes, meaning DTG has had to dust of some of their research for older TS routes for TSW2 as they can't travel or organise visits to new routes at the moment

• Like Like x 3
  26. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

You are and have been allowed to travel for work that can't be done at home, throughout the entirety of lockdown...

27. theorganist

Well I would argue that WSR was set in the modern era. If it was set in the 50's/60's it would have come with a small prairie, a pannier, maybe a hall, a rake of Collett coaches and some suitable wagons!

I am certainly not saying we should only have heritage routes, in fact heritage route is a preserved railway as far as I am concerned. I said I liked all periods and that the sim should cater for all which the current road map does point to, apart from the steam era, I just hope it continues as TS1 is heavily biased towards modern routes.

I disagree strongly that young people only like the railways they see around them, go to a railway exhibition and see all the young people operating steam period layouts. I was born well after steam ended and I love routes from the 50's.

• Like Like x 4
  28. theorganist

I suspect it almost certainly will have. It has affected and is still affecting many business ability to work as normal. Where I work we are still only selectively allowing visitors on site and only when it is necessary.

29. theorganist

There is a difference between employees travelling to their work where they can't do it at home and someone visiting another companies site. Most sites have been closed for visitors unless absolutely essential and I would imagine, for example, Network Rail would not class someone from DTG coming to do a survey or maybe record a train as essential work.

• Like Like x 4
  30. AlexTheMole

AlexTheMole Active Member

Ahhhh I see, you are one of those "Only stuff I like should be added to the game and damn anyone else" type people. Right, got it.

But I will respond to a few points you've made. 1) Actually from what I remember about WSR complaints was mainly due to the fact the real line is predominantly steam traction but obviously has no steam in TSW. 2) Who mentioned "good old days"? I'm 31, the modern railways are what I know but that doesn't mean I like them that much. Age has very little to do with railway tastes. 3) Did I ever say I didn't want modern routes? Or did I say that 200 years of railway history should not be represented solely by content dating from 1970! 4) How is making older stuff a cop out? If anything it requires more dedication and research. From what I can work out your argument is you only want routes that you can physically go and see and then complain about how they got it wrong on a forum? What a very odd way to look at a game!

But anyway you seem to have an agenda so I will bid you good day. :)

• Like Like x 8
  31. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

Possibly, but clearly they have managed to do some routes. How would access to a facility in Carlisle be any different to one in the South East? They don't necessarily have to physically visit sites themselves anyway. And a lot of restrictions have been eased now.

It would be nice if we could get some insight into these route choices and if the current theme is going to continue indefinitely. I am baffled by four such similar choices in a row when we have such a brilliant and varied network here in the UK DTG Protagonist

32. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

No, the problem is, those you hear about are not playing the game. Ppl who are happy are busy playing the game. Hence why you don't hear them.

As of me, I do not only want ultra modern. It's nice to go back in time in sim. Having said that, I also don't want all to be historic routes as I love my modern collection.
    Perfect solution for me would be as it is currently with new historic ones added as time goes by.

I must say, I do love my German collection but with more modern and historic UK ones coming, my UK collection will be even more to be proud and happy of.

33. AlexTheMole

Yep I agree it should be a healthy mix of routes and eras, and I have no doubt as time goes on the game will get them. Sadly there are certain eras that almost no train sim games cover but I learned to live with that years ago. ;)

• Like Like x 5
  34. theorganist

It is funny how you provide a viewpoint on something and then you read that you have said something completely different, even though that is not what you typed!

• Like Like x 2
  35. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

After the release today/tomorrow of the base game, there are some great routes and trains coming or planned...
    There’s a high speed modern UK route
    There’s a rickety old UK route
    There are some modern UK trains
    There’s a very rickety old UK train
    There are some routes and trains from other parts of the world - fast, modern, old and rickety all covered

Nobody has taken any unnecessary risks with their’s or anybody else's health to bring all of this great content to us.

I’d say it’s all a jolly good show.

• Like Like x 11
  36. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Counterpoint: none of the US or German content released for TSW has been heritage/historical.

I'm glad they're planning a variety of locations and eras for the upcoming releases. Happy with the roadmap overall, though hoping for more core game improvements once they finish up work on the Preserved Collection.

• Like Like x 2
  37. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

Plus TS routes in TSW would be so much better in my opinion and would add to gameplay.

• Like Like x 3
  38. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

USA and UK get historic content in TS 2020, but Germany doesn't, does it?
    I would love to see some 70's or 80's German action, but I don't think it's going to happen.

• Like Like x 4
  39. marko.kleinschmidt14393

marko.kleinschmidt14393 Member

The shunter (DB BR 363) that's coming to RSN is pretty old, but mainline, no.

40. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

The BR 155 and 143 are 70s and 80s era locos.

41. Bertil Persson

Bertil Persson Active Member

There are no voice announcements in the trains. It would be nice to have them in a future. I understand that it’s hard to develop but I do see that Alan Thompson has made a good one which I saw on YouTube. It fits to some extra routes District Line with the S 7 and S 8 trains for TS 2020. It takes some effort to buy and download them. If they come to Steam, I may try. In the mean time I pray to God that some skilled person comes up with some kind of a voicepack for TSW.

I sometimes run World Of Subways 3 Circle Line just hear the lady say “The next station is Baker Street. Exit here for the...”

42. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So something interesting I found out about the Cane Creek branch were this Uranium Tailing trains that went from Moab, to Cresent Juction, would make the route a little more interesting to add onother train besides the local that runs to the Potash mine.

Looks like they were loaded in a siding right before the tunnel near Moab....
    Moab-UMTRA-05-700x559.jpg
    91f6c07201a5ae280da075bd02032902.jpg

And offloaded here near Cresent Junction.
    aaa.png

https://trn.trains.com/railroads/2009/05/union-pacific-begins-uranium-tailings-move-in-utah

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. LiquidShadows

LiquidShadows Well-Known Member

I cannot wait to see what DTG's will be able to do with this route using the improved Unreal Engine 4.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Ben_Broomfield

Ben_Broomfield Well-Known Member

From what I’ve seen on the roadmap (British content wise), has given me a bit more confidence in the game now and as a result did buy the game after reviewing the roadmap.

Look forward to the future of TSW - let’s hope the roadmap becomes a regular helpful tool.

• Like Like x 4
  45. AlexTheMole

I believe what you are talking about is the Emma Clarke T/Op Scenario pack for the Virtual District Line, which is being sold through Alan Thomson Sim but was made by the VDL team. They managed to make working voice announcements for the VDL line despite TS not having a proper system for them and even got Emma Clarke (who voice real LU announcements) to voice them. The route and scenario pack are super easy to install, but wont ever be coming to Steam.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Yeah, Matt said in the stream that it was one of the biggest problems they had to solve (2 years after NEC).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  47. argyle_smurf

argyle_smurf Well-Known Member

I'm excited about most of the upcoming content. I've always tied myself to UK routes up to now but the more I explore the more I enjoy, and I'm bracing the wallet for a hammering over the next few months...

• Like Like x 2
  48. Humblehounds

Humblehounds New Member

Great work so far! Any chance we'll see a North-American switching-specific route with lots of time-savers, as you'd see on a busy (bygone) branch line? What I've seen from the Peninsula and Oakville is promising, but not enough action.

• Like Like x 1
  49. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I think you are on to something with the countries. I see G for Great Britain, D for Deutschland, and N for North America. The rest? I have no clue yet.

50. diesel power

diesel power Member

Same also here. GP40-2 is one of my favorite locos. it would also be challenging to drive it with the new adhesion physics as well. hope we get it as a new DLC in the future

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.