Bakerloo 1972ts - Disappointing Sounds

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Aug 21, 2020.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Upon launching the game, I was directed into the tutorial which started off with some lovely visuals inside the stations. I cannot fault with how good stations look. Especially the underground stations.

However, it was quickly apparent as to how poor the sounds were, even before I had driven the train. To cut a long story short, there is simply a lack of sounds and recordings for the stock.

In more detail, there’s a lot of sounds that are missing or ones that simply do not sound right, or simply aren’t loud enough.

Issues:

- There’s little to no track clatter when the train is going over track points. In real life it’s very noticeable as that’s the first thing you hear.

- Generic and inaccurate motor sounds. Whilst they may sound okay to some people, these are in fact old and recycled generic motor sounds from TS1. It also doesn’t sync up properly with the speed of the train.

- No interior sounds at all. What happened DTG? It’s completely silent on the interior when in reality you shouldn’t be able to hear yourself think, as it’s that loud.

- Wheel flange. This isn’t nearly loud as it should be. We also have the old issues of the sound cutting in and out abruptly. Where’s the reverb?

To come to conclusion, this is the worst sounding train I’ve heard in TSW for a long time. Granted COVID has caused its own issues with not being able to get all recordings required but without exaggerating, it’s something which sounds like a freeware download.

Not a good first impressions when it comes to playing TSW 2. I just hope this doesn’t get repeated for future DLCs.

• Like Like x 17
  2. trigzd

trigzd Active Member

Have you tried the wipers yet? It's kind of silly. I couldn't agree more with what you're saying though, the sounds REALLY let this game down.

• Like Like x 7
  3. jamster47

jamster47 Well-Known Member

Have managed a play on the Bakerloo line last night and East Coastway today.
    It all looks beautiful, and am grateful for DTGs time and effort but have to agree the sounds let it all down so much.

The 1972 sounds wrong and not just a bit wrong but totally wrong. Lack of ambient noise, poor traction whine, almost silent inside.
    Same with the 377. Sounds better and clearly has elements from the real life unit but lifeless across points, or gaps in track and lacks that whine suggesting power when the motor takes on juice.

These are big powerful heavy machines and sounds are everything. I know nothing about sound recording and am sure its not easy but when other 3rd party publishers have accurately created sounds for various units this seems really backwards in 2020.

I'm really excited about the 313 but if its more generic emu sounds that do not do the unit justice then I think I am out.

Sorry DTG. Lovely looking game but sounds need a lot of work.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

To me the overall track sounds seem worse in TSW2 than TSW!

• Like Like x 6
  5. Bakerloo

Bakerloo Member

I was pleased to hear the camshaft ('tick tick tick tick' sounds), but was disappointed that
    A) the motor didn't sound authentic
    B) the clatter (wheel over rail joints) is almost non existent
    C) that there is no ambient noise of the fans etc

In the past I've made audio recordings on the Bakerloo line (as a passenger). So have recently compared it

• Like Like x 4
  6. Dominik Tuchowicz

Dominik Tuchowicz Member

Listen to this free old aged stuff. Like 15 years ago :D

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bakerloo

Bakerloo Member

The motor actually sounds better in BVE 4 and BVE 2, for some reason OpenBVE changes it to something completely unrealistic.

That said it's got the distinctive ambient noise which is great

• Like Like x 2
  8. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

Less stuttering than TSW2 :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dominik Tuchowicz

Dominik Tuchowicz Member

It was Freeware. Sim and route as well.
    Got Northern Line as well (Edgware Road - Kennington - High Barnet) via X cross and Morden via Bank.
    Oldie but goodie. Northern line had more sound announcements.
    The next station is ...
    Mind the gap....
    Triggered by route mileage on the same point. Route was written in ... MS Excel :D
    It has a preceding train as well :o

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bakerloo

Bakerloo Member

I really liked the Bakerloo, Northern Line, and Waterloo & City routes. The passenger announcements really helped add to the immersion

• Like Like x 3
  11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Now, it might be a bit cartoony, but you can actually read the speed limit signs. Good luck with that on TSW2. No noiseless velvet wheels on that tube train either. But even worse than the lack of clattering on the Bakerloo line, have you heard the sounds in Sand Patch Grade? Nothing in that route sounds remotely like a train. Unless it’s a bug and some of the sounds aren’t playing. It’s a lovely route and the locomotive models are stunning to look at, but the sounds are not up to the same standard at all.

Today I have spent a good few hours playing all three routes and some, but not all, of the sound leaves me cold. Köln-Aachen is good but very quiet inside the trains. It’s not too bad in the cab of the 1972 stock (clattering aside) but terrible in the carriages, and then there’s Sand Patch which is awful in almost every way, maybe because the sounds haven’t been updated from the original.

I travelled quite a few stations as a passenger in the underground and at points there was near silence. Then you step off the train into very noisy (and quite good) chattering and ambience on the platform. Inside the train, just the occasional flange squeal and literally nothing else. It doesn’t match up at all. It looks like nobody’s put the effort in to make it all match up. At some point at Dovetail somebody went “That’ll do, release it.” It’s bewildering. I’ve found most of the sound in TSW2020 to be enjoyable if not entirely accurate but there are some great sounds in there. As a starting package for TSW2 what we’ve been given as sounds this time is just not good enough. It lets the rest of the game down.

• Like Like x 8
  12. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

I gave the refreshed Sand Patch Grade a try yesterday. The new physics are great, the slightly updated graphics look nice. The sounds... I’m not sure what happened, but they’re worse than they were in the original route. The horn is faint, the bell sounds like it’s ringing right next to your ear – except when the bell sometimes cuts out randomly, stops, or seems to loop over itself creating a high pitch whistle noise. (At least in the tutorial... I’ll try them again tomorrow and see if I can get video.)

• Like Like x 5
  13. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Feel sorry for American engineers.
    Those bloody bells make me feel like Quasimodo....

• Like Like x 1
  14. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I have only been on the Bakerloo so far but I agree the sounds aren't immersive. The underground is a noisy place and this doesn't convey it. I am not worried so much about the motor sounds as they sound good enough for me but the lack of track joint sounds and the quietness inside the passenger compartment is noticeable. It is a shame as the modelling of the route and the train is excellent but the sounds I would say have let it down a bit, although I know there are some understandable reasons why they couldn't do a more thorough job I would have thought the track joint sounds would have been achievable.

The sounds have generally been good in TSW particularly post GWE, the 31 and NTP stock are very good. Clattering over points is part and parcel of the railway travelling experience and even in modern units can be heard, in older trains it is very noticeable.

Hopefully they will update the sounds at some point.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  15. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

The wipers are louder than the train. There’s so many tube aficionados with libraries of sounds, DTG sound technicians need a good hiding in my opinion. I love the route, looks amazing, but I can’t say this sounds like the tube.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Amtrak131

Amtrak131 Active Member

Might i refer you to train sim community if you want proper class 377 sounds. I suggest you use londonmidland's sounds. They cover everything. People would be surprised what you can find from the modding community if they actually googled it.

https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/tsw2020-mods/tsw-sound-mods

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  17. jamster47

jamster47 Well-Known Member

Thank you. I had no idea that existed. Did google sound mods but clearly failed ‍
    What are these sounds like? Good obviously otherwise you wouldn’t of mentioned it. Just wondered what they add?