37 Pack Vol.2 Is Out.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pookeyhead, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Wooohooo!

2. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

I saw this last night and my wallet is already twitchy but I'm not spending on trains at the moment.

TSW2 looks to be the future of everything train related coming from DTG. So many people seem so excited about it.

I wish I were one of them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pookeyhead

When it is out, and enjoys the same level of 3rd party support, I'll happily jump on that bandwagon, but that will be some time yet. As iut stands, if you wake up one day and decide you want to create a scenario set in any time period you like, anywhere you like, with any rolling stock you like (apart from a class 104 grrrrrr), then TS2020 will probably allow you to do it. I sincerely hope TSW2 gets to that level... and it may well do... but it will be many years before it does.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dunkrez

There's a fair few loco's that don't exist in TS, I did a speculative report of what there is left to potentially build and identified around 30 loco's that are missing - and that's just UK based. I'm about 50% of the way there building my first loco for TS and have plans for more to follow.

I keep trying to jump on the TSW bandwagon. I've bought everything barring one route. The will is there. It just keeps being kicked to the kerb.

I'd love to start looking at developing for TSW2, but no tools are available to me. It is a closed garden.

It was the absolute freedom of TS that reeled me in and I just don't get that with TSW. I wish there were a train sim with the graphical polish of TSW and the sheer unrivaled functionality of TS.

So, as awesome as the 37 pack 2 looks and sounds, for now, I'm holding off.

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I bought the first Class 37 pack a bit ago but I hardly drive any of them
    Silly for me to buy the new pack if I'm only going to use them as AI.

6. dunkrez

I have pack 1 also. I will probably end up with pack 2 in time, just for the sake of completeness if nothing else. What is your typical drive in TS Peter?

7. Pookeyhead

It's only £16.99 if you have vol.1 Well worth it.

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Expensive AI
    I like Electric Traction - British or European and some diesels - 68, BR 232, CFR 60 - the HRQ Taurus is a lovely loco
    Screenshot__46.96367-5.81610_10-07-17.jpg Screenshot_Bucuresti Nord - Ploiesti Vest v1.0_44.47696-26.02714_16-40-06.jpg Screenshot_Hamburg to Hanover_53.35521-10.20394_08-28-17.jpg Screenshot_Karawankenbahn_46.54598-13.65710_10-46-17.jpg
    Been running some of the new scenarios on Ay Valley - just noticed two 73's on a Freightliner - must try that later
    And I'm enjoying the AP Class 86 pack having worked out how to make an old reskin work on it

What do you like to drive dunkrez ?

9. Pookeyhead

If you don't drive it, sure. :)

10. dunkrez

At £16.99 I'll likely drop on it this week.

Mostly UK traction, I have a soft spot for the BR era diesels particularly the Valenta HST sets, nothing screams like a Valenta. Fitting for a Sheffield lad I suppose. I enjoy exploring most loco's though. Love the Pacer and Sprinter families, like the Southern EMU sets, both old and new (also love the 205 for its thumping sounds). I literally just found the London to Brighton tunnel occlusion patches so next up is a run in a 377 and then a 319.

I'd drive more steam if I were any good at it, boiler management is a skill I'm sorely lacking.

My DB, SNCF, OBB and US collection is growing steadily too. The SNCF loco in your first image looks awesome. What is it and where do I find this beast?

Also, what route is that on? It looks like some serious attention to detailing has been paid to it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Loco is the BB 26000 from Sim Express
    https://www.simexpress.fr/?lang=en
    And the route is called Dijon - Valorbe but only runs Dole - Vallorbe at the moment
    https://www.rwcentral.com/files/file/263-dole-vallorbe/
    But I'm missing some items from AHS

I like London to Brighton and there is a Scenario I play with different stock which is a non-stop run behind another train

I take it you have seen the expanded Ay Valley route? - Great for BR Diesels

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pookeyhead

Interesting. You got a link?

13. dunkrez

Thanks for that, I've bookmarked SimExpress and that 26000 is in my sights now :) I'll check out the Dijon - Valorbe route to go with. The quality of the models looks to rival those made by AP.

I don't have the original Ay Valley let alone the expanded one, so thanks for the heads up. I'll go trawling the net later.

Ask and you shall receive: https://www.dpsimulation.org.uk/scenery.html

I haven't tried them yet, only just installed them all. Hope they do what it says on the tin :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Pookeyhead

WCML North too... excellent. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pookeyhead

[QUOTE="dunkrez, post: 160995, member: 11692" Hope they do what it says on the tin :)[/QUOTE]

Certainly works on the old Woodhead line. I can no longer see the wires inside the tunnel, which was really annoying.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dunkrez

Certainly works on the old Woodhead line. I can no longer see the wires inside the tunnel, which was really annoying.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had a great run from London to Brighton in a 319, then back again in the 377. Then a quick thrash up the WCML North from Carlisle to bedtime.

All of the tunnels are indeed fixed :)

Next up is that stupid shiny plastic tree. You know the one.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pookeyhead

LOL... Well.. both routes are old... I doubt there'll be a fix for everything. Wires in the tunnels used to p me off no end though... I'm so glad I don't have to see that again.

18. dunkrez

It is mint that mere tunnel occlusion patches can breathe new life into old routes. I think I'm going to enjoy re-discovering all of these routes, and treating myself to the 37 pk2 as opposed to buying into TSW2. The tech report forum looks chaotic today. Two letters: Q&A.

And I will get that plastic tree.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dunkrez

I ended up buying both. Spent more time with the 37 pack.

Not impressed with TSW2. Won't play it again.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pookeyhead

I've been watching some videos, including the stream on the 16th. The livery editor is a massive disappointment. Unless there's a huge influx of third party development, I'm not really seeing what is actually different from the old one apart from the scenario editor, and again, unless there are third party routes or freeware routes available, the novelty of that will soon wear off.

21. dunkrez

TSW2 is not the replacement to TS that DTG are hoping for. I could literally pick it apart for hours, but to be blunt, I just cannot be arsed.

I want to save TS, because it bloody deserves it. It's no MSTS and it's no TSWX. I still believe if you polish it up, make it cheaper (offer much more for the customer's money - the assets are built now, why make them prohibitively expensive?), start to actually market it, make it less of a "closed scene" and open to all-comers, offer actual real learning experiences that aren't boring youtube videos, then TS will start digging into the pockets of many more model rail enthusiasts.

Argh.

22. Pookeyhead

You only have to read the comments on the Train Sim YouTube videos for TSW2 to see who its aimed at. I doubt TS, no matter how you market it would appeal to that demographic. It's too much of a learning curve to get the best from it. Let's be honest, "out of the box" TS2020 is never going to have the appeal that TSW does. Look at you and I for example... spending WEEKS making it look right with 3rd party add-ons etc... The console crowd won't do that... in fact, they CAN'T do that on a console. Consoles outnumber PCs - and DTG, understandably, need to address that as a business model. TSW is more of a game, than a genuine sim. The appeal of TS is to the type of person that scours old video footage to get numbers, head codes and times of workings to recreate them in fine detail. Without prejudice, and without being negative, I just don't think the average TSW "player" is into all that.. probably because you can't even if you wanted to.

23. dunkrez

It's possible that TSW is mostly appealing to the YouTuber/Online Gamer generations. In which case, it is game over for longevity and populism will dictate the future of TSW.

Heritage railways have similar problems recruiting younger volunteers.

Out of the box TS2020 could have that appeal - it hit bigger highs in 2015 than TSW/2 has.

- Tart up the shadows, lighting, reflections and assets (HD texture reworks mostly).
    - Package MUCH more content with the base (think Gran Turismo 5)
    - Create interactive in-game learning experiences (driving/building etc)
    - Set aside all Pro products as paid add ons
    - Add multiplayer with radio (party) chat (as per new flight simulator)
    - Market it as _the_ definitive rail experience, because at that point, it will be, no lying, no false marketing, just a massive offering to any newcomer - literally unbeatable value, impossible to replicate due to the journey DTG have been on
    - Stop being the content producers. You are the platform holders. Work on the platform, let the "other guys" build all of the content. Look at Valve and Steam. Take lessons.

Come on DTG, it's staring you in the face, you've done all the _hardest_ work building all of those pieces of this massive virtual railway network.

CAPITALISE ON IT! :)

24. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

A lot of people don't want Multiplayer and you have very little chance of it in TS because the Game Engine is so OLD.

Do you wish to be on Multiplayer driving you train in a scenario where everything is running nice and then some kid out of school decides he should go first, spads and crashes in to your service - game over - Is that what you want?

You talk about more being included in the Base TS - like Gran Turismo 5 - ok as long as you don't mind paying again when TS2021 comes out and again when TS2022 comes out. Like you do with all the Gran Turismo series.
    I don't know how it works but I suspect you cannot use cars from an older version of GT on a newer version

25. dunkrez

To be fair Peter, I would not be touching the multiplayer myself, it's more for the kids. I much prefer solitary and thoughtful gaming to crowd experiences. Fall Guys is fun, but it's definitely more suited to my daughter.

I'd happily pay for each upgrade properly as an annual incremental release. This is what I mean about platform and content. DTG provide the platform, they should be farming out content as much as possible. This means that their revenue should be focused around the platform, improvements, ways to keep every player engaged. In turn, the entire 3rd party ecosystem flourishes.

Do you want to see TS shelved for TSW?

26. Pookeyhead

I have to agree with this. It will be like what happened to Flight Simulator X when it hit Steam... instant kiddy fest doing high G manoeuvres in 747s and dive bombing the tower, and telling everyone to **** off. Adding team play may turn out to be a popular development on that console game called "Train Sim World 2" but as it stands, TS is a haven from the monotonous adolescent BS I have to suffer in other "games". I like the idea of some kind of multi-player capability, but only if you could keep the kiddies off it.. which you can't.. ever.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Part of me wonders how Run8 handles its multi-player aspect, from what I understand its a much more serious experience with dispatchers and actual scheduling, similar to real life railroading.

• Like Like x 1
  28. dunkrez

http://www.run8studios.com/

I'll be investigating this tonight :)

29. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Multiplayer in TS 2020.
    " I wanna be the driver today!"
    "No you drove last time, you can be the dispatcher."
    "No I didn't, that was the kid from Poughkeepsie, he always wants to be the driver."
    "You mean the one that always crashes the train... game over Gary?"
    "Yeah that's him, anyway I want to drive tonight."
    "No it's my turn."
    "No it's...........
    Ad infinitum

30. dunkrez

While it may not be ideal for a good night of train simulation, it's bloody funny :) See AirForceProud on YouTube.

On top of verbal arguments, they could add a beat em up style first person view, so you have to fight to the death for the drivers seat.

• Like Like x 1
  31. trev123

trev123 Active Member

The Wherry Line and London to Brighton 3 scenarios for each. The Wherry Lines scenario APC37:2D45 16:50 Norwich to Lowestoft is broken. The points are against you and you have a red signal. I waited 10 minutes and nothing changed but there is a loco starting at 16:58 not sure which way it is going but it didn't move at 16:58. When you start you are in the back cab so I went into the front cab. After loading the passengers and you get the all-clear your next destination doesn't show on the F4 hud but you can see it when you press the F1 key.

32. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

There are already quite a number of third party Payware builders of add-ons for TS but the quality of some is poor
    GBE released the DB ICE4 that is so poor they now give it away for free
    https://shop.strato.de/epages/64554512.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64554512/Products/RM00012a
    RSSLO Products are quite good but the vegetation is Radioactive
    https://www.rsslo.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Route_8-scaled.jpg

Do third party developers have the time and manpower to create a whole route accurately?
    And when it came to getting a license for the train would they do it, leave it to DTG or do like Just trains?
    I'm sure you remember FWS :D
    https://d2rz29q2n53c9a.cloudfront.net/productimages/201111214593127315-L.jpg

No I' don't wish to see TS shelved for TSW2 - but DTG do make better routes than most others

Peter

33. dunkrez

I'll check out the scenarios at some point today and see if I experience the same issue with APC37:2D45.

I keep going back to the London to Brighton route now the tunnels work properly.

34. dunkrez

I tried TSW2 again last night and dutifully sent my error report in when the game decided I'd played enough (roughly 25 minutes). I really don't want to see TS shelved for UE4SW.

You are right about DTG's first party effort compared to some 3rd party providers. But I'd much rather DTG concentrate and dedicate non stop manpower to constantly evolving the TS engine as a platform. They are the guys that actually can do this if they want to.

What's FWS? I could do with a good laugh :)

35. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Just Trains way round the copyright problem - the Class 60 also has FWS on the sides

DTG are not releasing much at the moment and DLC which is coming out are third party add-ons

DTGs team seem to be spending time porting TS2020 over to TSW2 with the list of routes that are on the Roadmap
    https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/articles/article/tsw2-roadmap-18-august

[Route Add-On] GBC-R7 01 - Southeastern High Speed: London St Pancras via Ebbsfleet to Faversham. With Class 395, Class 375.
    [Route Add-On] CBB-R7 01 - Arosa Line. With Ge 4/4 II. (Developed by Rivet Games)
    [Route Add-On] NDD-R7 02 - Cane Creek. With AC4400CW & SD40-2. (Developed by Skyhook Games)
    [Route Add-On] NDD-R5 01 - Clinchfield Railroad: Elkhorn - Dante. With SD40-2, F7 A/B.
    [Route Add-On] DBB-R7 05 - Hamburg – Lubeck. With BR 112 + Doppelstockwagen & MRCE BR 182.
    [Route Add-On] FBB-R7 01 - LGV Méditerranée: Marseille - Avignon. With TGV Duplex.

36. dunkrez

Great. I can look forward to all of my favorite updated routes crashing on me every single time I play.

DTG would do better providing a simulator that doesn't crash every single time I attempt to give it another chance.

Honestly, porting these over to unreal screams "massive waste of time" and the inability to update the core engine of TS in-house.

37. trev123

trev123 Active Member

There is quite a lot of US DLC out and coming out at the moment.

38. Pookeyhead

Upcoming.... [Upgrade] Livery Designer additional functionality

I wonder if they're upgrading it to be of some actual use?

39. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Ummm, I think you have posted in the wrong thread as this is about AP's Class 37 Pack Vol 2. Yes stay on topic.

40. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

IDK, but I found some decent use out of it.....

41. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

So, is this AP Vol 2 of the Class 37 any good? We've wanted a new ''Tractor'' for ages, as the Kuju one from 2007 is very dour nowadays and the only decent one with a few reskins is the RSC model which is no longer available. With all the vast routes that 37s were driven on we are now spoilt for choice in TS2020, there must be over 30 routes from across the UK now available on Steam, as well as the staggering amount of 3rd party routes, payware and freebies. I was interested to see that in this DLC pack the BR Blue models also feature the old style skirting and various buffer types, if the enginesound is OK I might invest in this pack, the first volume I had no interest in with the liveries, however, this is old school BR Green and Blue, just as so many of us remember them in real life.

Cheerz. Steve.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  42. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Although I don't have the AP 37, I can highly recommend any of their products and I have quite a few. The 37 is on my wishlist along with their Mk1 coach pack. If you want a high fidelity TS experience then get it, you won't regret it.

My only criticism of AP is their extensive list of requirements for their scenarios. I don't bother with them and either make my own or use Quick Drive.

43. Pookeyhead

In a word - Yes. It's fantastic. As is Vol.1 as well. Vol.1 is the refurbished 37/4s... Vol.2 is the rest of the unrefurbished ones.

44. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

Yes, thanks for your reply, I have been a customer of Richard's since at least 2009 and must have obtained about 80% of his offerings thus far, so, I can vouch for the quality of his older assets, I bought the MK1 coach pack in the Easter Sale, but, my interest waned and I haven't really played with any train stuff for several months now. If this 37 pack is worth the £25 I may be persuaded back into the game with this loco and a few coaching variants. I wanted to run something on Peter Goodearl's Wycombe Railway route as well as my GWR Steamers from Victory Works, with the amount of trackage available I can give this 'tractor' a good run put.

@ pookeyhead Yes, I saw the unrefurbished pack, the only one livery I wanted was Regional Railways, but, didn't want thousands of other assets taking up space on my hard drive as well as I wouldn't drive them, so, I didn't bother purchasing it in the end. I'll try this one instead.

Thanks chaps.

Steve.

45. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Those routes are coming out on TSW2 over time - nothing to do with TS

46. dunkrez

Yeah, I know. I gave TSW2 a few goes over the weekend, and my experience left a lot to be desired. Every play session ended with a UE crash dump after 15-20 minutes. On the other hand...

The 37 pack 2 is great.

• Like Like x 1
  47. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I also decided to get the Class 37 Pack 02 as it has a number of BR Blue variants which are missing in the game

• Like Like x 1
  48. dunkrez

The first 37 I tried from the pack was the BR blue scenario on the Wherry Lines, very impressed.

• Like Like x 1
  49. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

The AP 37 is about the best loco available IMHO :)

It’s generally my ‘go to’ loco.

After ‘driving’ this, nothing else comes close!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  50. Pookeyhead

Have you tried the second gen AP DMUs? They're very nice to drive... especially 150/2, 156 and 158 (even though the a58 is only a EP).