Immersion Controls

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by krustynuggets, Aug 20, 2020.

1. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

What's people's thoughts on the new controls and how you can only use classic in service mode from my experience so far, for me classic all the way, immersion just breaks my brain and doesn't feel at all natural or immersive lol

• Like Like x 1
  2. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

You can't operate the egineer's screens on Sand Patch Grade when the tutorials request you enter the screen, meaning you have to go to Classic, enter the screen, push buttons, come out of the screen, then revert to Immersive, totally moronic.

Also, only having two external cameras, and no static cam to watch you pull out of the station, is utter pants.

• Like Like x 2
  3. krustynuggets

They said you had the choice but every scenario I've started on the new routes it says it needs immersion controls to work and changed them as i have had classic from the moment I started playing, i changed it in the settings as from what I saw on the streams i knew it wouldn't work for me.

4. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I really wish it wouldn't force the immersion controls on you. I'd rather use classic as it keeps it consistent with the preserved content (otherwise two control layouts to memorise)

• Like Like x 3
  5. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

Having the option to set the controls to Classic in the settings, only for it to force Inmersive on you in-game, makes absolutely no sense, and renders having the option obsolete.

What's up with that then DTG?

6. krustynuggets

I feel your pain dude lol every time i touched the left thumb stick it felt like i was just head butting the windscreen of the train with the zoom function lol

7. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

I like the Immersion setting more, because the frequently used functions (door opening for example) are more easily accessible, not having to bring up a radial menu at every stop. Also, I'm glad we have the zoom and HUD disable options. However, it does have its limitations, mainly with the external cameras, so that's a trade-off.

The biggest disappointment for me is that the preserved collection routes don't support this control method at all. This results in, as someone said above, us having to memorize two different control schemes, and it's not possible to control and enjoy both new and preserved routes the same way. I thought the integration of old routes would at least support this.

• Like Like x 2
  8. russianchip

russianchip Guest

I find immersion control has grown on me the more I have played today. I thought it wasn’t going to work for me but I really enjoy the quick functions like door open and reverser etc. Only issue I have is I’d like to have the classic setup right stick click function (that allows detailed movement to select buttons/switches) as I find moving the dot a bit difficult at times.

9. krustynuggets

Hopefully it will be sorted so everyone in both camps on controls can be happy and enjoy the amazing game they have created controlling it how they feel more natural and immersed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

I hated it at first, but on doing some journeys which forces you to have the immersion controls Im used to them now. Shame about the camera being a bit of a mess with adjusting the height

11. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m really disappointed that the preserved collection doesn’t use the immersion control system. Operating the doors is going to be problematic when switching between routes and going against muscle memory.

12. oldmossyoak

oldmossyoak New Member

It isn’t letting me “enter the engineers main screen view”on the ac44, there isn’t any type of information telling me how to do that

13. russianchip

russianchip Guest

If your using Immersion control there will be no prompt appear when it says “enter engineers screen”, I say waiting until I checked the forums. You’ll need to enter the pause menu and then switch your control method to classic, you will then be able to select the screen via the camera view (right stick click, internal view, more views, engineers screen). After setting the brakes, go back to pause and back to Immersion controller.

14. dreampage

You have to go to the pause menu, choose Settings / Controls and change the preset to "Classic". Go back to the game, click and hold the right stick and a radial menu will appear. There you'll be able to select Internal Cameras / Engineer Main Screen.

Sadly this is an oversight as the tutorial cannot be completed without using this control method.

15. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I know making a game is difficult, but how did this get through testing? Surely this should have been noticed before launch.

16. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

The control scheme is really my only complaint about TSW so far. Really enjoying it otherwise- especially Sandpatch!! Overall, it looks and performs much better than TSW2020 IMO. I play on Xbox 1 X fwiw.

The frustrating thing is that i like aspects of both schemes:
    Love the zoom feature in Immersive, and being able to quickly switch to exterior view, but it's almost impossible to drive using in-cab controls because you can't keep the view looking ahead while using the cursor to operate the controls. Even in classic camera it's harder now as the button labels now appear in the top left (which also obscures the destination hud).

Also, no fixed exterior camera mode to watch my train pass by

Please just let us fully customize controls. Please.

• Like Like x 3
  17. blueghost

blueghost Member

Total RUBBISH leave it as classic

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The immersion controls are pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

The controls themselves are fine, it's just the fact you have to swap between them that is a bit of a downside

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Yep. Switching between them is annoying me so much. I hope they can get the immersion controls working on preserved content.

21. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Basically if you want to be a director go back to the classic controls. I think the advantages of having zoom and doors on the immersion controls are great additions. I feel there will be times I switch back but most of the time it will be immersion.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Rush

Rush Member

I’d really like to see more of a hybrid of the 2 schemes. Like clicking the right stick zooms so I still have control of the reverser with the left stick and clicking and holding the right stick switches automatically to external view. Clicking the right stick once in external view would also switch between more external camera angles including a static free camera view. I’d still prefer to have the 2 modes in external as well by pressing Y or Triangle so that way I don’t lose so much of the camera functionality like being able to easily move the camera vertically.
    Wipers and Headlights can just be activated in the cab which would still allow left and right on the D-pad to be the door controls. This would also allow up on the D-pad to remain the bell toggle because doing sand patch grade and not being able to toggle the bell off after using the horn quickly is somewhat annoying.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  23. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

Ya like one person mentioned, I found it mind blowing how you start the 4400CW tutorial and it says you have to use immersion controls and then it's literally impossible to complete, I sat there for over 10 minutes zooming into that stupid screen and hitting every button to try get it to work, nope had to switch controls and change cameras. Like how did this happen and get into the game like this? People thought TSW was confusing, this is literally impossible to complete lol

24. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

Also I think they could combine both controls pretty easily, they say they're out of buttons, but really there is lots of options left. A few examples, keep Immersion controls, but when you're in the engineer seat and hold right stick it would give you an exterior free camera, holding in right stick in the interior currently does nothing. Also when you are in exterior view, if you press Y it would zoom in and out, Y also currently does nothing on exterior views.

25. dreampage

I think it would be possible to implement more features into the immersion setup by holding various buttons. It's not the radial menus that are the problem, the problem was that we always had to open them for frequently used functions. The current Immersion setup would be a great foundation that could be complemented with additional menus. Some examples:

Right click: Switch to external view
    Right click (HOLD): Could bring up the camera views menu

D-pad left: Left door open/close
    D-pad left (HOLD): Could bring up the door / headlights / cab lights etc. menu

Same could be done for d-pad right (hold), X (hold) or even Y (hold). Just as the Start button pauses the game, but if you hold it, it disables the HUD. It's a great feature. All buttons that now only have a "click" function could have an additional "hold" function as well. This way, almost all functions could be implemented, and the "immersion" intent would still be reached.

• Like Like x 4
  26. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

Holding the X button takes a screenshot, but other than getting in and out of the seat, Y button would seemingly be free when in external views.

27. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

I think holding x for a screenshot is silly, you're using up a button for something say the Xbox already does, tap guide, then Y. And I also was thinking that about the quick buttons and wheel menus, tap for convenience and hold for advanced features. Consoles developers have proven many times the radial menus can work amazing if done correctly. I was thinking the could put all camera options in one wheel. Or just thought of this when you click the stick it goes to your last selected camera

28. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

I think the reason for the X button being used, in place of the console's own capture function, is that this allows for the screenshot to automatically remove the HUD, and be uploaded to Dovetail Live.

• Like Like x 1
  29. deaconblues2067

deaconblues2067 New Member

I was wondering how to access that Engineer's Screen thing. I guess it's not possible on Xbox?

30. deaconblues2067

deaconblues2067 New Member

How do you even enter the screens? I have had no luck.

31. Mr Fad

Mr Fad Member

The devs should check out the way elite dangerous utilises context sensitive controls on ps4/xbox as it has far more controls yet handles it fantastically!

Basically it uses the face buttons as a shift key, pressing X does one thing but holding X in combo with any direction on the dpad or triggers does something else.

• Like Like x 2
  32. olikas.g

olikas.g Member

Switch your controls to the classic setup and it will give you an option to enter the screen. Matt explained in the stream yesterday that the scenarios in the preserved collection are tied to certain button mapping and they cannot use the new controller layout. Timetable services should be fine.

33. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

Dude that's exactly what my bother said, they have so many controls and you can do so many things.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

You switch your controls to classic

35. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

the funny this is this isn't preserved, it was remastered for TSW2, so this should not have happened period.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Rush

Rush Member

They actually brought this up in their stream the other day and their concern for this was that it makes accessibility hard for people who have a harder time holding a controlling. I’m personally all for it though. I think there could be 3 or 4 different control schemes in the options so if accessibility is an issue someone could just select the scheme that works best for them while still allowing more advanced controls for those that want them.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Mr Fad

Mr Fad Member

I've always found radial menus a pita tbh as they can be fiddly especially with abit of contoller lag
    The way elite hit the nail on the head was grouping actions to the same button so triangle on its own enables hyperspace yet triangle and up on the dpad enables insystem supercruise, triangle and dpad left brings up the galaxy map and triangle plus right brings up the system map :) triangle and down brings up the full system scanner so its all linked to the same subgroup :D

• Like Like x 1
  38. Mr Fad

Mr Fad Member

Best of all tho is once you remember the right key press you don't see a menu onscreen so its inkeeping with the immersion theme they are leaning towards

• Like Like x 2
  39. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Exactly- so in TSW you could have X button be the "brakes" group, tap x to switch brake type (just like now), x + up to increase braking, x+ down to decrease braking, x+right emergency brake, x+left parking brake.

Obviously not everyone would love this scheme, which is why you make it customizable.

40. Mr Fad

Mr Fad Member

Sounds good m8! Atm I'd keep it even simpler and just go for press triangle for get up outta the seat or get in OR hold it for camera options triangle + left dpad look out left and triangle + right look (can see where im going with this)

They were asking for suggestions last night in the stream so hopefully they're downloading elite atm lol

• Like Like x 1
  41. laineshapiro186498

laineshapiro186498 New Member

I feel like this is krapp I'm on the coal loading tutorial and it keeps asking me to go to the integrated function display and I can't I'm on xbox one and it just won't let me go, I know it's in the settings and then in settings you go to controls and then from you go click on controls and it won't let me do won't Let me change the control scheme from Immersion to classic. So how am I supposed to complete the tutorial if I can even move the train?!!?

42. laineshapiro186498

laineshapiro186498 New Member

The problem is is it won't let you go to classic if you're in the coal loading tutorial you're stuck in immersion because it's one of those you can only do immersions so how are you supposed to set these target speed and all that stuff??!

• Like Like x 1
  43. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

You just restart the tutorial or quit then start it again

44. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

I think it's the first time it's locked and if you restart or quit and reload it it'll allow you to change. Cause on the AC4400 it was locked and restarted and it wasn't locked anymore

45. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

You also need to make sure that the controls in the main settings on the main menu are set to Immersive, if you set it to Classic first, the game switches it to Immersive, and locks it in, so you can't then change it in-game, for some bizarre reason.

• Like Like x 2
  46. Dallas117

Dallas117 Active Member

Yup that's it for sure, you got to switch to immersion first, then load then switch. I knew they wanted the game to have more switching but this is not what I imagined.

• Like Like x 1
  47. gfysps4gaming

gfysps4gaming Member

is there a way to turn the lights on fronts of DB Trains and trains using the Immersion control set up or a keyboard button u can press as i can only get red lights on fronts of trains the DB trains most of all

48. NYIslanders0902

NYIslanders0902 Active Member

I kinda like it, but I feel like they should add a controller scheme where you can use the two tone horn

49. Trainoob

Trainoob New Member

They need to add key/buttons bindings and more controller sensitivity options like deadzone and stick acceleration speed. To work for better accessibility is good ( like they're doing ), but - especially on a simulator - to have more options and more customization is mandatory.

• Like Like x 2
  50. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

light controls when using immersion control scheme requires you to flip a switch in the train cab or on a keyboard (not sure which one, I only use Xbox controller) as no console controller buttons control light options with that scheme