PlayStation Accelerometer

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by byeo, Aug 24, 2020.

1. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

So we’ve had a few days to play the game. What are people’s opinion on the new accelerometer? I’m not a fan of it, find it hard to see whether I’m actually maintaining speed, speeding up or slowing down. The circle which is suppose to make things easier get’s in the way and I just can’t see what I need to do, this is especially important when driving the Sand Patch Grade where momentum is key.

I don’t know why they changed it from the one in TSW2020, it was simple and did it’s job with no fuss.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

I think it's fine although the white speed limit dot coould be a bit more prominent and bigger

3. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

From the moment I first saw the new HUD in preview streams, I have been saying that they should take out the beach ball they put into the accelerometer and replace it with just a small bar. That will be far more precise and clear for small, but important speed changes. I really don't know what DTG was thinking with the beach ball

• Like Like x 8
  4. Cottonmouth

Cottonmouth Active Member

Hi, I agree 100% a small bar a cross would give a far better reading and indication.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I preferred the previous one. It was easier to track your acceleration.

• Like Like x 3
  6. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

The previous one was much easier to read IMO. While running in TSW2 I've hardly looked at it as it's hard to see small increases/decreases with the new version

• Like Like x 8
  7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’d definitely prefer are bar or small cross, not the mahoosive ball we have now.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

why have this acelerometer at all. i dont see the point of it, surely you can tell if your moving using the speedometer or looking at the ground or scenery around to tell if your moving. do modern day trains have these. i dont know as i have not been inside a modern day cab

9. Paulo_1997

Paulo_1997 Active Member

It tells you, if you are accelerating enough to hold the speed.
    An example would be, if you would go up a hill, you would lose speed if you wouldn't push the throttle a little bit. The marker helps you to figure out, how much you have to push.

To agree with you, the ball is kinda confusing.

• Like Like x 2
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I prefer the old one. This one has two sides to look at with that quartered ball and is harder to tell what’s going on. It’s also smaller overall so harder to read, despite DTG’s claim it’s easier to read. It’s okay when it’s far from the centre (when you don’t need it) but almost useless when it’s supposed to be showing a low acceleration (when you need it). I think just changing the colour of the ball would help but it it still won’t be as good as the old one.

I’ve also noticed that in Sand Patch Grade, it doesn’t match what’s happening with the train or the built-in accelerometer in the GP38-2. You can be gaining speed quite rapidly and the ball is still showing you are slowing down. The built in one shows what’s actually happening in numbers.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

To sum up my entire thoughts:

Why does it use a silly circle?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wilfboy

Wilfboy Active Member

The quartered circle in the accelerometer is next to useless as it totally obscures the small horizontal white centre line. This means that you can’t see if you are just below or just above the line anymore to make small speed corrections. The old system with a small dot was much clearer and better.

• Like Like x 6
  13. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

Somehow I barely see if the line is yellow in the dark tunnels. Its so annoying :mad:. The new one looks maybe sleek, but you could get more info from the old one.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

I don’t like the new accelerometer at all really... they should’ve just taken the old accelerometer style, rotated it 90° and then placed it where the new one is now. At the most they could make the acceleration/deceleration line a little thicker or wider, just so it stands out a bit more.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Have to agree with the crowd here. Hate the new beachball version. Would prefer they go back to the line and cross, but if they stick to the ball could they have it change color maybe (green/accel and red/decel)?

It's impossible to use for small changes (which is really all it's needed for- big changes are pretty obvious)

• Like Like x 3