Please Remove Tree Shadows And Rail Planks

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by genericemail1032, Aug 24, 2020.

1. genericemail1032

genericemail1032 New Member

Please hear me out. I understand there are technical challenges with having this on console but I would rather have no tree shadows and rail planks then have them pop in 20 feet in front of the train.
    Shadows don’t seem to matter depending on time of day or position of train either.
    Just get rid of them altogether. I bet the game would run better and it would look better.
    It is very distracting and immersion breaking to have that much pop in of things we don’t need.
    Thanks and thanks for an awesome game!

• Like Like x 8
  2. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Would really help if you posted what version of Xbox you are running on, so that the developers could give you some guidance!

3. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

I've never really found it to be much of a problem or issue myself but we all different, i come from a time when my first train sim didn't even have any scenery full stop lol

4. genericemail1032

You’re right. Sorry.

Xbox One X.

We don’t have graphic settings so they can’t give much help other than removing these things with a patch or allowing us to chose like on PC.

• Like Like x 1
  5. genericemail1032

Lol. Totally agree and I do love the game but it’s small things they can and should’ve done to fix pop in issues.

it’s weird that the shadows appear constantly 20 feet ahead of you and it doesn’t matter what time of day or direction the train is going. They are always in one position.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

I've not notice it on TSW 2 to be fair, and I've played a fair bit so far. What route are you finding it on?

It was one of my biggest complaints with TSW and TSW 2020.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  7. t.reizner35

t.reizner35 Active Member

Finally somone opened up a discussion about that! I have myself a xbox one X and also have these graphical issues, its sometimes like in tsw2020. I thought they would fix this in tsw 2 but its not really better. There are structures of tracks, shadows, structures of trees and buildings popping up shortly before the train arrives some point in the map. Sadly on xbox we don't have the options to change the graphic settings like on pc and of course the one X would be powerful enough to load the map for far away.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Erm, have you tried knocking the graphics down from 4K to HD on your Xbox One X to see if that helps reduce your issues?

• Like Like x 1
  9. D3VILDOG8541

D3VILDOG8541 Active Member

Running it at HD seems to at least put it back at TSW2020 graphics. It runs much smoother that way. If the graphics performance is that immersion breaking for you then turn the 4K off. I know it bothered me way too much in 4K & mine is set to HD now. I thought running on the XB1-X it would be sufficient for the 4K but, it's just doesn't cut it for me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. t.reizner35

No sorry that will not solve the problems, then everything is still popping up plus the graphics are not as sharp as they could be. That just makes it more worse! :|

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Then the only thing left to recommend, is stop playing it on console and move to PC, that's the only way it's going to go away.

• Like Like x 1
  12. D3VILDOG8541

The pop in isn't going to get fixed. It happens even on PC. Yeah, it's annoying! It probably has more to do with the game design & game engine. So, you have to decide are the visuals more important or a smoother game play experience?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  13. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

What routes are you having issues on DevilDog? I've been mainly testing TSW 2 with East Coastway, and apart from some minor pop in, the experience has been great using the native 4K, very smooth.

My setup is:
    • Xbox One X
    • 2 x USB 3.1 SSD's
    • Elgato HD60s for capture
    • 28" Benq 4K monitor

14. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

It's one of those things that once you start noticing, it's hard to forget about...like being aware you are blinking. I've been playing in HD setting on the Xbox One X and it still draws in pretty close.

I don't think the issue entirely goes away on PC either. I'm too loyal to my Xbox with its achievements system to make a switch over an issue like this.

• Like Like x 2
  15. D3VILDOG8541

It's not that it's horribly bad in 4K; it just annoys me too much to play it on that setting. It's most noticeable to me on Sand Patch. The entire game takes a hit on frame rate though & I find it distracting. Just running basic setup XB1X with #2 SSD & Samsung UHD.

16. t.reizner35

Haha no, that can not be the solution, there has to be a way to get that issue done on xbox.

17. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Not with the UE4 engine, there isn't enough computing power to give you greater draw distances! Xbox Series S & X will be able to help, but the developers will need to enable that in the coding.

• Like Like x 2
  18. t.reizner35

Ok thats nice to know! Does anybody know if they rework the structures and details from other routes coming from the tsw2020 to the tsw2 in 4k?

19. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

That's why they've staggered the release of the preserved routes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. genericemail1032

All of the routes have shadow and plank pop in.

I know we can’t get greater draw distance so they should just eliminate them altogether.

21. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

From your own experience you've had pop in on planks and shadows. Would you like to take the graphics back to Xbox 360 standard to maximum framerates?

22. genericemail1032

But it has nothing to do with frame rate and graphics. Knocking down the HD the pop in is still there. Just remove the objects that are causing pop in. Having the planks spawn 20 feet in front of the trim doesn’t make the graphics better, it just looks like bad pop in.

23. D3VILDOG8541

You're opinion is heard. It isn't going to change the fact that either you will play it as is or go on to another platform or another title. The fact is that it's not an easy task to make the adjustment you're requesting. I'm sure they're not going to change something that the rest of the community has lived with since the first edition of TSW! In case you haven't noticed they are probably a little busy working on the 'little list' of technical bugs & issues reported since launch day.

• Like Like x 2
  24. krustynuggets

The way i see it, to most of the people playing it's a minor niggle that might annoy them if they notice it, very small minority will it drive them so nuts it's made them salty, but you have to remember that the people making this heaven simulator for us train fans have probably squeezed every inch of power out of this game engine, so i think you might have to just deal with it and admire all of the great parts of this game instead.

• Like Like x 1
  25. genericemail1032

I don’t think disabling shadows an planks is that much of an issue. Was told PC has that option so it’s there and can be implemented on the console.

26. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The shadow draw distance can’t be changed and looks awful in lots of settings. The only way to stop it looking so bad would be to have a choice to turn the shadows off completely, which would mean some extra light where it shouldn’t be in places close to the train to add to all the extra light there currently is everywhere else, but it gets rid of the problem of the shadows drawing in right in front of you. It’s not the shadows that are the problem, it’s the fact that they only start 20 metres away. The scenery popping in is a different problem though, and although some might see it as a bigger problem that the shadows I find it much easier to ignore.

• Like Like x 3
  27. ajwilson1889

ajwilson1889 Active Member

on Xbox One X the shadows are much much better tgen TSW2020 which was really distracting, sleepers are quite noticeable in the snow though. Worth noting that TSW2020 routes aren't remastered for TSW2, they will just run as they used to so will have the same graphical issues

• Like Like x 1
  28. genericemail1032

Exactly my thoughts. I am usually looking ahead on the track instead of the scenery so bulging pop in doesn’t bother me.

The shadows and planks are really annoying. Also by taking them out the game would probably run better and be less taxing.

29. t.reizner35

Yes more graphic settings on console would be nice!

• Like Like x 1
  30. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Erm..... East Coast way has been improved performance and fidelity wise for TSW 2.

• Like Like x 1
  31. t.reizner35

Just an example how I think shadows and stuff could look like on Xbox one X too. I know this is PC, but the Xbox is powerful enough and with graphic settings it should be possible ;)

32. Wooki74

Wooki74 Active Member

I run on Xbox one X it's a very good system but i think the main problem is the very weak CPU.Plenty of graphical grunt but it been throttled by the CPU. I'm still enjoying the game though.i knew it would have the same issues as 2020

• Like Like x 2
  33. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Are you using the internal hard disk for your storage on your Xbox One X Wooki74?

The bottleneck is actually the IDE/SATA bus.

34. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Nope. East Coastway was always one of the better looking routes in TSW2020 and the only change is that the core game allows 4K on/off. If you switch off 4k (something that I frequently do to make the console quieter and eliminate the possibility of it shutting down) then you will see absolutely no difference in visuals or performance with EC across both versions of the game.
    You could even argue that preserved collection visuals are actually worse because there are a stack of flickering trees as well as frequent lighting issues when leaving darker areas into direct sunlight (for want of a better discription it looks like a thin white cloud stretching across the point where dark meets light) in East Coastway and multiple static object drawing issues in foggy/misty conditions when playing Peninsula Corridor. There's been several occasions where the game slows down to draw in (they kind of fade in as if emerging from a thick fog) static carriages and locos on the left hand side of the screen quite literally as you're passing them.

This is actually quite a valid thread so by saying (or rather implying) "hey, they've done this and this and this so if it's not upto a desired standard then go play it on PC" is a bit, well, defeatist and really solves no problems whatsoever. TSW2 is a great game and it's an undeniable fact that this shadow - not LOD draw distances or horizon pop in - draw distance thing does somewhat spoil the immersion levels so why not indeed have the option to turn it off?

• Like Like x 2
  35. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

While you raise some valid points, this all comes back to the current generation hardware (Xbox One and Playstation) being the limitations that cause the issues you find are ruining the immersion.

Maybe having been around since Day 1 of Founders Edition has made me accept the micro stutters and slow down, but then again I've always had the game installed on a external hard drive, as when I had it on my internal it was as you stay stuttery to the point of ruining the immersion, but since then, I've just glossed over it.

People need to accept that DTG have made the impossible, possible by getting this running on consoles that are 7 years old.

If people want the optimal experience of this game, they are going to need to go to PC, as these consoles (standard editions) aren't capable of giving that stutter free experience.

Also if your console is noisy and shutting down, I'd imagine it's overheating as the fan spins faster to try to cool it, have you tried cleaning out your vents etc with a hoover? PS4 Pro or Xbox One X?

• Like Like x 1
  36. Wooki74

Wooki74 Active Member

I'm using internal . I do have external using the same 5400 rpm

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  37. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Have you tried moving it over to see if you get any differences?

• Like Like x 1
  38. Wooki74

Wooki74 Active Member

I would like to but I'm happy where it is. It's a bit full my external .I moved everything off internal to external . Can't be bothered moving it all again. The draw distance does not bother me,and the FPS is slightly better than tsw1 so I'm good with that. Thanks anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  39. ajwilson1889

ajwilson1889 Active Member

Totally agree, ive got the One X and the GPU has loads of power, look at Doom, and Last of Us 2. Sadly though its not made for simulation which need a lot of CPU intensive calculations, hence shorter train lengths as its calculating the forces on each wheel individually

40. D3VILDOG8541

Again, I hear what you're saying. I think realistically if you want that experience you'll have to play it on a PC. Remember that both these games are made to run the best on Xbox as a whole experience. The One-x while having overall more power is handicapped because these games are optimized to run on all XB consoles. Now, the new system XB Series X should easily run it with no problem. The question will be, will Dovetail have the intent, time & resources to put into optimizing TSW2 for it? I wouldn't hold my breath. If they do, it'll probably be a paid dlc/upgrade; which we're already starting to see other software studios do!

41. D3VILDOG8541

This did make a bit of difference for me. I moved enough games off my ext hd to get it under 50%. There was a noticeable difference in load times & less spot freezing in game when the game accessed the hd. I'd recommend it if you can bring yourself to spare the time.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. david-bright184169

david-bright184169 Active Member

Me too, remember "Southern Belle" on Spectrum?

43. krustynuggets

I've heard of it but never played it dude, I had "Evening Star" on the Spectrum, so many hours taking my favourite steam loco along the S+D with no scenery lol, didn't care tho it was awesome :D :D

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  44. Wooki74

Wooki74 Active Member

I have now got the game on a new ssd with nothing else on it and there is a slight improvement . Load times are definitely quicker and little less pop in . On the ice 3 that reflection on windscreen flickers which also cases the game to slow down it's really off putting hope they get rid of that reflection.

• Like Like x 1
  45. D3VILDOG8541

The load times for me going from Internal to SSD were pretty substantial. The game performance aside from that. I'm afraid we're at a stand still until there's more optimization by the dev team. So, here's hoping for the best.

• Like Like x 1
  46. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

We won't get better performance or graphics on this console. Not even Xbox One X because it has the same terrible CPU the Xbox One S has. It just can't cope with this game. The only hope is that the developers will be able to patch and increase shadow draw distance on the Series X. The current 4K mode is also barely usable on the One X, but at least it has future-proofed the game, so that we'll be able to play it properly in 4K on the next console. We just have to bear with it a little longer (until November).

• Like Like x 1
  47. krustynuggets

My xbone 1x is running 4K perfectly fine with no hassle, so don't fully get why someone would say its barely useable, the game looks crisp and sharp on my TV (also 4K), so slightly baffled by that point lol.

48. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

It looks very nice but runs bad, much worse than in HD mode. When there's weather also (heavy rain or snow) then the framerate is abysmal. It's not enjoyable at all.

• Like Like x 1
  49. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Don't use a vacuum cleaner on your vents. This can cause ESD and fry your console motherboard. Blow the dust out of vents with an air spray can a few times a year.

• Like Like x 1
  50. krustynuggets

Runs fine for me in 4K hitting 40-50 FPS as a normality very rarely dips below 30 for me, so clearly your view of what's not enjoyable or abysmal is vastly different to mine, but like I've said in earlier posts in this thread i come from a totally different age than a lot of people here lol