Xbox Class 66 Performance

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by steadfast, Aug 26, 2020.

1. steadfast

steadfast Member

Hi guys,
    I don't know if it's the adhesion causing this glitch or something else?
    Just done the 0Z55 scenario at Newhaven where you load 10 boxes. The 66 needs a crazy amount of power to get it moving. Notch 8 on a 1000t train in a yard is ridiculous! Once moving, the train should maintain 5mph rolling easily, with a little power added here and there as required, but only little dabs of notch 1 and 2. It's not as noticeable with empties or light loco, but still feels heavy handed. The 66 in TSW 2020 never felt like this and it's a loco I've driven a lot. Unless I overcharge, I can't get the pipe about 4.9 bar, but the cylinders show zero so it shouldn't be that causing the issue.
    I've just tried loading the 6V56 scenario (which follows on) and it's still hard work, but the train moves easier than after loading. Could the issue be related to the change in train weight?
    Just to quantify, I work with 66s and trains of this kind of weight every day I'm in work and not even the heavy handed drivers use the higher notches in the yard.

2. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Ok give me 30 minutes and I'll test this. I drive 66's for a living so will see whether there is an issue.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

OK, so it would seem that Notch 1 is in my opinion under powered, which I guess must mean most notches are operating under power. However, with those wagons on and loaded, you wouldn't get much speed above 3-5 miles an hour in Notch 1 or 2. So it's realistic from that point of view.

I don't use more than Notch 3 on this scenario. Just because the game speed limit is 15 mph for the yard, it's not fit for anything over 5 mph in real life.

The train feels slightly heavier than the 1150 tonnes it claims to be, but that again could be down to a underpowered locomotive.

Think it might need look at to be fair as the direct brake is all or nothing, which is again inaccurate and the automatic brake when light loco is shocking.

TrainSim-Matt

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. steadfast

steadfast Member

Ta for confirming.
    I was trying to do it all notch 1-3, 5 mph etc as per the real railway but it took notch 6 to even get the thing moving at 0.5mph. The loaded run in the next scenario did feel better though. Trundling light engine through the yard it felt a bit unresponsive too.
    As you say, the straight air isn't right.
    Cheers!

5. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Here's a video of me completing the yard work, so you can compare!

Here's a video of the main line run, again so you can compare.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. steadfast

steadfast Member

Interesting watching, nice to see it being done by a professional! Perhaps I was being a little impatient with the 66, but I definitely think it's underpowered as you say, and that straight air brake...

• Like Like x 1