Any Chance Of A Ts Roadmap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theorganist, Aug 25, 2020.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

We have an excellent roadmap for TSW, can we also have one for TS, maybe not a fortnightly one but a monthly one maybe?

I would particularly like to know if there is any UK content, routes in particular (not releases of JT routes) planned?

There seems to be a procession of releases of routes from other countries, but apart form the Fife Circle nothing from the UK. We only had one release last year.

What happened to the days of Riviera in the 50's etc?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

I second this, it would be hugely appreciated.

Perhaps this is that time that DTG stopped with content and really have been working at the core in order to blow us away.

Now that would be absolutely amazing.

• Like Like x 2
  3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So if DTG with all their experience in route and train making are not going to make them who is?

AFAIK the only people that have made routes up to DTG standards are AP with the Wherry Lines and Rivet Games with their Swiss routes.
    And who is going to make the trains for the routes?

• Like Like x 1
  4. dunkrez

I didn't say stopped forever... sure they will crack on once the core has been sorted if that's what they are up to.

ATS routes are looking very nice lately too.

Just being optimistic :)

5. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

A Roadmap for TS is a slightly more complicated beast. That said, we haven't been as close an eye on the game from the community side while we've been in launch mode. I'll run this up the flagpole next week as I've a meeting next week this would be ideal for.

Poke me next Friday if you've heard nothing back.

• Like Like x 6
  6. dunkrez

Awesome Sam, much appreciated.

7. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I'm guessing a TS roadmap would be a lot harder, as an awful lot of content is third party, so DTG have less control over.

8. dunkrez

They could release their TS roadmap, any 3rd party's could release theirs.

If you really trust the vendor, you're happy to wait blind until something is released and prepare yourself to be amazed.

Roadmaps are typically released as a trust exercise. I think a good look at a firm's Jira is usually very telling.

9. theorganist

Thank you Sam, that's great.

10. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

DTG Protagonist

You know what. Just the fact that a question like this get’s an answer calls for a thumbs up. Maybe i am all wrong but from a TS players point of view it seems that you have your eyes more on TS than you’ve had for years. Which is encouraging, as TSW does not offer what i come to TS for.

11. DTG Protagonist

Well if that's all it takes...

In all seriousness, a roadmap might not be workable for TS, however a regular "state of the nation" (I'm thinking monthly) wouldn't go amiss, along with some insight into the various maneuvers of the dev team. Leave it with me.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Kim Olesen

Really, can only speak for myself ofcourse, that is all it takes. Openness.

• Like Like x 2
  13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is worth knowing what is coming up in TS 20xx as it gives us something to look forward to
    Just Trains have had an "In Development" section on their website
    With DTG we usually find out about 2 - 3 weeks before release
    If they had done this with the Class 89 some of the obvious visual errors - Buckeye, TDM Cables, could have been flagged

14. BeenTrain

BeenTrain Member

+1

15. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

What makes a good route is a matter of opinion, but I'd suggest that Bossman have easily cleared the bar with Welsh Marches and Just Trains have cleared it with their most recent Cornish and Midland Mainline routes. Aerosoft can be pretty good with continental routes too.

• Like Like x 2
  16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Any in particular?

17. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

Im Köblitzer Bergland. Yes, they didn't develop it, but they are the publisher.

18. Ardaeshir

Ardaeshir Well-Known Member

Thanks, that'd be grand.

I entirely understand that a full roadmap including planned release dates might not be feasible, especially during covid19 and associated difficulties. But I think a general "what we are working on and some WIP screenshots" monthly or bi-weekly update would be very appreciated.

Especially now that so much is going on with TSW, it would be good to see that TS2020 was not abandonned.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Have a look at Cologne - Dusseldorf if you think they are good

20. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Agreed that Cologne Dusseldorf is not the finest work, however there has been eight years between that and Im Koblitzer Bergland

21. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The difference is Aerosoft made Cologne - DĂĽsseldorf but did not make Im Koblitz Bergland which was made by SAD Railsim

22. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

I don't really care about routes as my backlog is around 300 DLC, but a bit more detail about upcoming bug fixes, improvements and fluff would be welcome. Things that are 100% in your power.
    I noticed that as of late there is exactly one build per year, so I assume it's a bit troublesome to predict and pointless to tease, but anyway. There are some bugs I'd love to see squashed.

• Like Like x 2
  23. ChiefJackYT

ChiefJackYT Member

I think a post once a month maybe saying what they are working on (DTG not 3rd party devs) towards the next core update, eg. directx upgrade, as well as what routes they are currently building themselves would restore a lot of faith in their customers. That way, there isn’t the issue of what 3rd party devs are doing, all it covers is in house DTG updates and DLC.

• Like Like x 4
  24. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Do you mean Train Simulator 20xx?
    It has always been updated every year since at least Train Simulator 2012.
    You can purchase the update if you want the routes that are released with it.
    If not your system will be updated to the latest version of the game without any add-ons or cost to you.

Peter

25. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Absolutely this!

26. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

It would be great to get a bit of info on the progress being made in TS20xx and future core updates to the game. Also, it would be nice to have a roadmap similar to TSW so that way, we know what is in the works or what is a Work In Progress.

27. dskxalive

dskxalive Active Member

DTG Protagonist *poke* Any updates on TS2020 or the possibility of a roadmap?

• Like Like x 1
  28. Expat16

Expat16 New Member

It’s Friday....

• Like Like x 1
  29. theorganist

He either hasn't ran it up the flagpole yet or it is subject to some blue sky thinking :)!

30. dunkrez

Maybe we've complained and praised enough to actually kick something awesome into motion.

Here is hoping!

31. SAR704

SAR704 New Member

The game just receives a cosmetic 'upgrade' yearly. I cannot recall seeing any obvious improvements brought in since the GE overlay was introduced in the mid 2010s.

It would be nice if they would change the in-game selection box to something which I can actually recognise with desert-like terrain present. It is way too light for my liking.

32. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

4duj8f.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  33. ChiefJackYT

ChiefJackYT Member

Just came here to post this too. Come on Sam...

34. dskxalive

dskxalive Active Member

In terms of what (if any) core updates may be coming to TS Classic, Sam just confirmed on tonight's stream there will be no DirectX upgrade. Citing that they would have been making a noise about it already if it was in the works, as it is not a small and simple task to accomplish.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. dunkrez

I'll have a side of disappointment with my main meal of disappointment please waiter, and a pint of disappointment to wash it down with please.

Makes the need for an open standard ever more prevalent.

This is worth a read to anyone with a business orientated mind: Reputation & Risk

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  36. theorganist

It is now Tuesday! :)

37. dunkrez

It most certainly is!

38. DTG Protagonist

...and you now have at least some detail. I was asked to not give hints, sorry for the radio silence.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. Kim Olesen

I don’t use the workshop myself, but good that it is getting an update with improved functionality. Any updaets to the core game is good.

40. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

Upgrading Direct X isn't important for me. I can live with the current art styles and GFX. Tile load stuttering and memory/vertex buffer crashes are the bigger problem.

• Like Like x 1
  41. dunkrez

I hope that there is some kind of substantial improvement to the core.
    • Refinement of asset loading/streaming (The tile loading stutter is ridiculous. It just shouldn't be there. No firm I have worked for/with would ever see such a performance dip as acceptable)
    • Enhanced natural reflections - shiny/wet/metal/mirror etc. (This includes platforms when raining)
    • Seas, waves, rivers, streams. Water doesn't look like this. A better implementation is needed
    • User Interface overhaul - create a menu system that looks great in HD/UHD and utilises the screen space effectively
    • Ancient asset replacement - DTG could have a field day with this
    • All reported bugs and issues resolved
    After that, improved efficiency:
    • Direct X upgrade
    • Spread the load across the CPU
    • Sort out memory usage - use everything available to the application
    Train Simulator is DTG's comprehensive flagship train simulation software.

• Like Like x 2
  42. mike370

mike370 Active Member

All the points you mention are so very valid, & in an ideal world if it were at all possible (with fair monetary price paid by consumer for such core game development), would be wonderful to see gradually tackled over time.

However, I so agree with your particular point above. For now, the one refiinement if achievable (and surely it must be with today's average gaming rigs, together with some clever tweaking of the software) is to get rid of the wretched tile stutter; or at the very least significantly improve it. This issue has always has been a real immersion killer, but becomes more so, as the nicer the general graphics & modelling has become in the game. And, we've seen some great advances in overall scenery/modelling quality over the last few years. I believe the advances made by both DTG and 3rd parties, in pushing the old TS20xx game engine further, have pleasantly surprised everyone. It's amazing what has been achieved, & credit to all involved - especially since the 64 bit upgrade a couple of years ago.

That's where I had naively hoped the move to 64bit would help (at least a bit) with the tile loading stutters. But no, whilst general FPS seems smother & more consistent, any big tile load still results in everything painfully, for a second or two, grinding to a halt. It's so frustrating to be running a decent steady 30-60+ FPS, to get these regular brief dips to 10 FPS or so. And this is regardless of machine spec. i.e. even a fast i7 at 4.5Ghz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32 GB fast ram, and modern fast SSD. I don't know of any other game that struggles in ths particular regard. It's a real shame for the overall player experience, which is otherwise increasingly good.

Surely something is possible to finally smooth out the tile loads with such meaty modern PC hardware now the norm (quite diffferent to what was available as standard in the early Railworks era)?

I don't know whether various scenery LODs for assets could somehow be modified to reduce the load as the game enters a new major route scenery tile. Or perhaps, it might be possible to restrict the number of assets loading in the one go - might it be possible to break down the asset loading into smaller more manageabe 'tile' units. Or maybe a clever evolution of Armstrong Powerhouse's historic (now discontinued) attempt to strip back non essential (but resource hungry) assets such as background sound dooms, at least temporarily as the new loading tile reached. I'm no programmer, and obviously haven't got a clue how the game's coding works & just how rigid the tile loading process works! But usually where there's a will, there's a crafty way to solve things. Even if the problem is not entirely fixable, any clever refinement that would at least see some improvement with this on-going issue, would be so very welcome. And I would imagine this is one issue where the vast majority of players are agreed, eliminating/reducing tile loading stutter would be a hugely welcome development. One can only hope & dream! :)

• Like Like x 3
  43. theorganist

Well put above, I agree the biggest immersion killer is tile loading stutter. Since my last re-install it often stutters for a few seconds, which really kills it and it seems to be every tile, in rural tiles in routes like North Wales Coast. I currently hanker after the days of a one or two second stutter!

• Like Like x 1
  44. dunkrez

It's time to can the hopes and dreams and kick some stuff into motion.

It is possible to sort every single item on the list I created. It's just whether the will is there (can anyone be arsed?).

Honestly, I want to sort these things out. If I get Paul Jackson's attention, perhaps he'll hear me out.

45. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I really hope Train Simulator gets an overhaul. I was really hoping one of these points could be included in TS2021 that is coming out next week, but probably not. If anything, the way the assets are loaded on to the tile really needs to be improved. Since TS appears to be a single core application, processors with multiple cores may not really improve the fps for the application. I am running TS on a quad core Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.4Ghz paired with a GTX1060 SSC 6GB and am relatively satisfied with the fps. On average, I usually get around 20-30fps but will get the occasional 10 fps for a few seconds. From my observation so far from playing TS2017-TS2020, I have noticed that installing TS on an SSD helps improve the speed at which assets are loaded onto the tiles. I noticed this when playing the NJCL route departing Hoboken. On an HDD, the fps are like a slideshow when departing Hoboken but on an SSD, the fps are somewhat smoother when departing Hoboken. All in all, I agree with the points that were previously made and do hope that these points are implemented into TS at some point.

• Like Like x 2