Great Western Express Bug And Feature Wishlist

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Aug 25, 2020.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Following yesterday's livestream, it was great to hear that DTG have a team to fix and improve older 'preserved' routes to bring them all up to the same standard of quality we see in today's newer routes.

So, I thought I'd make a thread on some wishlist items which include fixes to bugs and also new features for GWE.

Bug fixes:
    - Fix pathing issues.

Great Western Express has an issue with its pathing of trains. Particularity for freight services, you are snaked from the relief lines to the mainlines, and then back on to the relief lines after a signal section or two down the line.

- Fix TPWS bug.

This bug has haunted GWE ever since release. You will get the emergency brakes applied if you enter Reading Station too slow whilst approaching a red signal. There's also no TPWS protection at Paddington so you can enter the station at whatever speed you like with no consequence.

- Fix random AWS alerts.

In GWE you will get AWS alerts because the signalling and safety systems have not been set up correctly. You will get an alert for a slow diverging speed, for example, regardless of your booked path.

Feature wishlist:
    - Flashing yellow signals.

As per reality, the Great Western Mainline has flashing yellows. This is very useful as it tells you that you are diverging further down the line, without the need to unnecessarily slow down. GWE is not capable of this, so it will show a yellow, causing the player to think that the next signal is red.

- Updated timetable.
    As some of you may know, Matt was unofficially working on an updated timetable. This may relate to the first point of fixing pathing issues, however it would be great if this was released.

- Include First Great Western liveries.
    The FGW livery is missing from the public release of GWE. We know that the FGW HST and 166 livery exists, however this was never (finished) or released. Furthermore, as GWE is set in 2016, it makes more sense to see the FGW livery as opposed to the GWR livery.

- Updated skybox & lighting.
    Just like the three routes which are included with TSW 2, it would be great if preserved content received the same love the newer routes have, with its superior looking clouds and lighting.

Passenger information screens (PIS).
    Featured in the Bakerloo Line, it would be great if both train displays and station passenger information screens worked. This would be especially useful in GWE, as there is a variety of stopping patterns. Sometimes it is impossible to know when the next train is due to stop, as well as where it calls at.

Optimise and improve sounds.
    Class 166
    It's no surprise that these sounds aren't the best, however the Class 166 is completely missing its interior sounds. The engine sounds just do not exist. Speaking of engine sounds, it sounds nothing at all like a real Class 166. It sound more on par to a lawnmower or moped.

HST
    With the HST, it would be nice to have better quality sounds. There's no real distinction when you're accelerating, as the turbo sounds do not exist. Instead you just get a constant uninspiring rumble.

Freight wagons
    These have to be one of the worst sounds in the game. They sound nothing like freight wagons, but instead more like someone pushing a row of trollies.

Reverb and fade in/out sounds.
    GWE in particular suffers with sounds abruptly crashing in or out. There's no smooth fade in or out as the train approaches or gets further away. This is a big immersion killer. Especially when the sounds go from nothing at all, to full whack in the space of a second or so.

Thanks for taking time to read this thread. I understand not all these points will be addressed to, however it would be great if at least some listed were included in the future for this route.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 25
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

Top of my list for GWE:

All of the above including=
    AWS alert fix
    Guard buzzer use to work required acknowledgment but no longer does.
    introduction of information screen like bakerloo

• Like Like x 2
  3. GarethDavies21

GarethDavies21 Member

Some great ideas here Josh.

Some of the annoying bugs etc have been mentioned. I think in general, it needs more life! :(.

4. Ben_Broomfield

Ben_Broomfield Well-Known Member

Do agree 100% with what’s mentioned.

Definitely need the flashing (double/single yellow) diverging route aspects. PIS would just be helpful and bring some life into the route.

This is a long shot, but would like to see the OHLE extended to the whole route instead of just some of it. Although given the year it’s set in, I guess it wouldn’t be ‘right’. But would give a better atmosphere in general and potentially give possibilities for the future (stock wise) - high chance it wouldn’t happen though.

• Like Like x 2
  5. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

My number one complaint is the sound of the engine on the turbo. It's far far too quiet and is enough to put me off using it.

• Like Like x 6
  6. LewisInfiniti

LewisInfiniti Member

I totally agree with everything here - especially adding PIS on trains and at the stations. There's not enough life on GWE; it feels dead.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

There is another nasty bug in the GWE scenario "Down The Line" that sometimes makes the AI cause a SPAD when the player chooses the long (platform 10) service.

Here is an example:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  8. londonmidland

Hi all, I've added sound issues to the wishlist.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I have some hope for the GWE sounds. Has anyone else noticed on ECW that the JNAs sounded very similar to the freight on GWE in TSW2020 whilst also being annoyingly audible in the cab. The preserved 66 and the JNA wagons in TSW2 have a much better sound more akin to the wagon sounds that Ed Fisk has given us with the NTP and the TVL class 20 Limestone stock. Running sounds are very good now imo. My hope would be to get the sense of acceleration and deceleration with the 43 and 166 via re balanced running and brake rub sounds, and increasing the power cars volume versus the squeak and squeal of the coaches. (when a HST sets off in TSW2020 all you hear is the coaches creaking).
    From what Ive seen since the class 20 dlc was released and its improvements. I think there is an awareness of the tail lights in previous releases being inconsistent or absent. One example would be the DB Schencker hoppers- the tail lamp is flashing underneath the 2nd last wagon for some reason.
    As for pathing- I hope theres a starting point at the signal dropping from the N London line down into Acton. It would allow us more freight, be more realistic and clear more space for express trains. Same would be the case for freight being able to start west of Reading station.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I agree with everything which has been said, especially the AWS alerts which are annoying. It would be good to see the sounds improved especially the 166 which is inaudible in the passenger compartment. Having travelled on one recently whilst it is relatively quiet compared to other second generation units you can hear the engines easily in the passenger compartment.

I have always wondered why they only included the GWR HST as in reality I don't think there were more than a handful of sets painted that livery and were not a common sight. I wonder if at the time it was a licencing requirement.

As a route I still think it is one of the best looking but the stock lets it down a little it doesn't feel like the realistic immersive experience it should, I rarely use it now.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Suspect the GWR research was done at a time when the 1st HST’s were going through repaint. Would have been a reasonable guess at the time that all FGW stock would be green soon after. Hopefully theres a full tsw2 spec HST in the near future.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

As a total noob that doesn't know the real thing everything sounds fine to me; and I think there are many more urgent things to do than this. But that's just me. To each his own.

13. londonmidland

Let’s just say it should be A LOT louder than what you hear in the game. Imagine a train in a confined space (tunnels) going over a set of track points. Now that LOUD and how it should sound in the game.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

Only thing that would make me do is turn my game volume down. Sorry :)

15. londonmidland

Here is a good video of how it should sound. Notice the various sounds such as the air rushing through the tunnels, the tracks joints, motor sounds etc. Now compare that to TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  16. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

With all the respect in the world - and I mean that and do not want to be mean: I don't care.
    I just wanted to state that not all players share your priorities. That's all.

17. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity what would you like to see get more attention?

18. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

As I said, to me, the sounds are fine. I loved GWE, and played it a lot.
    If you ask me, what I would like to be improved on this specific route, I'd say the timetable. I want more services using the previously unused sidings, more freight drives, and more use of the loading/unloading points. I'm generally one that wants more action, trains, services and stuff to do in (each) one route. I love to spend lenghty amounts of time in service mode without seeing the menu :)