PlayStation Enjoying New Sandpatch Route On Console

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by matthewbguilford, Aug 27, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

2. No

3. I like tube trains.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Hello fellow Train fans,
    The USA CSX freight route Sandpatch is now on console for the first time! Being the route that started TSW with its launch on March 16th, 2017 for PC only. After being absent in the console version of TSW that released later on. Sandpatch has always been a route I very much felt like I was missing out on being a fan of freight services, Sandpatch seemed like it was something special to experience and I had an empty spot in my heart (AKA TSW collection) that would always be there. Now with the release of TSW2, DTG have optimized and used techniques they have learned over the years and have successfully brought Sandpatch to consoles! In my opinion it certainly fills that void. I thought I was a decent freight driver, Sandpatch taught me I was very wrong. Never had I got the chance to drive a
    Ac44000 or an SD40 so I was happy to see them as a MU. It was a 50 wagon double stack intermodal train that weighed about 4,000 tons. It was a summer day thankfully and going from Cumberland to Rockport the steep incline kept me at about 18mph the whole time, remember that part about being a good freight driver? I wasn’t prepared at all for the wrath this train was about to unleash on me when I started my decent and it’s quite literally all down hill from there. This may have been the first TSW route but the way the rails twist in turn up the mountain, the scale and scenery and detail in this route are very well done, and it does a great job at making you feel like your just one of many who traveled this route for decades. In one of the scenarios, as your driving up Sandpatch and reach this carved out section of the mountain, your second man explains to you that years of floods carved out the section you are driving in and how it would have added an extra 10 miles to the trip to get around it if it hadn’t. learning a little history about the route that came up so naturally while I was driving, was a really special moment in TSW in general. Finally having heavy, long freight trains to this extent on console and specifically on the Sandpatch route have been a very positive experience for me and I’m very much looking forward to routes based around the same experience and I am very much looking forward to more Sandpatch content on the roadmap. Hope you are all enjoying Sandpatch or TSW2 I’m general and thank you for taking the time to read my post!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

Ask again when DTG has fixed all those bugs in the scenarios and tutorials ...

• Like Like x 1
  3. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

I must say, I've enjoyed SPG a lot more than I thought I would!

• Like Like x 1
  4. whiteleyaj

whiteleyaj Active Member

I'm stuck on fully fuelled - I cannot work out how to get the rear engines to work with the new lead engines...... So my power is rubbish and after stopping at a red light 2 miles in impossible to get regoing on an incline without all 4 engine power. Ive added a thread to the ps4 discussion if anyone has done this and can explain how to set up multiple working...... Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  5. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Really enjoy it despite a few bugs. The only true NA freight route IMO. Probably my fave TSW/TSW2 route at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  6. matthewbguilford

Yes, there are some particular bad little bugs such as the one that stops you from completing one of the scenarios. I’m sorry if this has ruined your enjoyment of it and hope it does get fixed sooner then later!

7. matthewbguilford

4D89CB52-94CC-45B3-A61F-BE305FB51517.jpeg
    Hi I think I can help you. Let me do some quick digging!
    Update: In basic terms, you want the lead rear locomotive exactly how it is set up in the front lead locomotive. You just want to make sure you turn the banking comm on. Hope this helps!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  8. BROCK

BROCK Active Member

I did fully fueled and the signals turned green just as I approached them. I didn't have to stop but going 14 MPH would turn any signal green. I wonder if its the train ahead that passed you as you walk to the lead unit.

9. BROCK

BROCK Active Member

I meant to say as slow as the train was going any signal should have turned green...lol

10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s an excellent route. I’m surprised that it quickly became my favourite route in TSW2 but it has. Bakerloo just isn’t getting a look in at the moment because, if I’m not in Sand Patch, I’m in the ICE. I have posted about the sound not being great in Sand Patch but it’s really only the running sound of the wagons that’s a major issue. I’m finding the SD40 has the best engine sounds and it’s a shame that the cab doesn’t look as good as the others. The exteriors of the locos are stunning. My favourite thing in the route has to be the speedometer in the GP38 with its built-in accelerometer (it works better than the one in the HUD which seems not to work that well on SPG) which is great. Everything takes a long time to do so I’m starting scenarios and timetable runs expecting a 2 hour session. I’ve been going to bed rather late because of this. It’s a shame the save function still doesn’t work because there is now a route that I could use one on. I haven’t got round to loading coal yet. another thing to look forward to doing.

It’s just nice to sit there driving slowly through the great scenery and having to keep an eye on the power and the brakes to keep everything chugging along nicely, and then stick an external camera looking backwards at your train snaking through the trees. I haven’t done much switching and yard work yet because that’s not really my thing but there seems to be plenty of it to work through for when I don’t fancy the long drive. I’ve made myself a couple of plain coloured boxcars to add variety to the rolling stock. No details on them yet, just plain painted colours for now, but this route will be getting my first real attempts at liveries (just rolling stock) when I get into the livery designer proper.

I was previously not that bothered that it wasn’t available on console but that’s because I didn’t know what I was missing. It really is a fine route. Tube trains can wait a little longer for my attention.

• Like Like x 1