Signal Behaviour

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by kieranharvey95, Aug 27, 2020.

1. kieranharvey95

kieranharvey95 Member

Was playing the new Bakerloo Line, there is a few things I feel really ruin the imersion for me.
    1. The feeling that you are following another train, for me there is a lack of adverse signals (not green).
    2. Ties in with No.1, lack of additional services for the London Overground shared section.
    3. Signals do not change until task complete. In real life you would never shut your doors until the signals has changed, the system where a signal is held red until doors shut is rather unrealistic and pulls it more out of a simulator and into a game. Further to that point, with the system in use (yours) where the red is there until task complete, the prior signal gives no warning of that red signal, a red home signal, will ALWAYS have an associated distant signal that is ON (yellow). The only signals that are red on the underground without warning are approach control in certain places and drivers are aware of locations and trigger speeds.

Thought I'd share my opinion on that one, unfortunatly these kind of things, do not make it feel like a simulator to me, but more a game. Hoping you will work on this.

If you ever need advice on signalling, I am happy to help, I am a train driver (NR lines not LU).

Thanks,
    Kieran.

• Like Like x 5
  2. CC Johnson

CC Johnson Active Member

While I totally get that and feel the same way, I also understand that it's quite a waste of ressources to fully model a train that the player can't drive. Maybe something will be added to service mode when a dlc with appopriate stock comes out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

There will be more services added in a later update, which will solve some of your points.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HappyBasher

HappyBasher Active Member

Agree with you Kieran. I will say as you progress through the "journey" you start to get services where you're right behind another (of course this relies on you being good and stopping and starting in the right place and keeping to time).
    When entering a station, if the starter signal is ON, there is usually a yellow half way along the platform, hanging from the ceiling, you may not notice if you are concentrating on braking to end up in the right place. Also sometimes a panel in the end wall showing yellow if it's still red just inside the tunnel.

I am disappointed with the signalling on the NR section which although 3 aspect signals is only working as 2 aspects and this has been accepted as a limitation of the overall signalling system (can't mix 2 and 3 aspect, or something!)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Agreed, but this applies to all routes. It feels very unrealistic to have to close doors while the signal ahead is red. In real life, at least in my country, the train doors would remain open and the conductor will only start the depart procedure AFTER the signal has been cleared. There's even specific signals on the platform so the conductor can see if the signal is clear.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Hi Kieran,

Nice to find another driver lurking on the forums.

There are single yellows on the Bakerloo line, you just have to know where to find them. If you're at a stand in the stations and look to the top left of the tunnel entrances, you'll normally see the "distant" single yellow there, which then changes once station duties are completed. Think that's how LU signalling works.

LU signalling is completely different to NR signalling and varies by LU line so I think DTG have gone with the simple model of red, yellow and green.

DTG have got to balance this between being a simulator and accessible game, at the end of the day we both have access to proper simulators that are TOC/FOC have, which is a true recreation. If this was as accurate as those then people wouldn't really buy this title as they would get frustrated after 20 minutes.

• Like Like x 2
  7. kieranharvey95

kieranharvey95 Member

Hi there, Southeastern here :)

Yeah that’s a fair point indeed. I’ll admit my knowledge of the underground signalling is good but not sound and I’ll definitely keep a eye out for the mentioned yellows.

It is still a shame you cannot have the signal clear prior to performing dispatch but as you say if I want a fully accurate sim I’d get down the training centre and have a play :D

For what it is it is still a brilliant rendition of the Bakerloo Line that’s for sure, showed that underground lines are possible. My biggest wish is that tools will be released so third party developers can have a play.

Thanks all for the replies!

Kieran.

8. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Rivet Games have the Island Line coming out for TSW2 so there are tools available.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I don't understand why the small number of yellow signals in the tunnels, which are protecting red signals that have poor sighting, are modelled but on the NR section there are no yellows where every red should be preceded by a yellow.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kieranharvey95

kieranharvey95 Member

From what I understand it's a simulator (TSW) limitation where two types of signalling for some reason cannot be used on the same route.

I do still think it would be good if there was more variation possible in timetable mode where some services are a little delayed etc. Just so there is some more cautionary signals within the tunnel sections as you would likely expect IRL, especially during rush hour. Personally it feels like no matter what time of day, you are the only train around for miles and everything is just green.

Never know, it's new and updates will come so fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

It should feel more busy when the enhanced timetable comes out, it'd be good if we were chasing reds on most runs on the underground section.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ras

Ras Member

Chasing reds on East coastway and great western would be a big thumbs up too