Aws

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by argyle_smurf, Aug 28, 2020.

1. argyle_smurf

argyle_smurf Well-Known Member

Is there an option somewhere to have AWS and similar safety systems ON by default rather than having to scurry off and find the appropriate switches?

If not, can we have this option please, you lovely DTG types....?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I don't think there's already an option. It'd be great to have one to turn on all safety systems though as on the 377 it's a bit of a pain to turn on the four switches on the second man's side for each service.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I agree there should be an option to turn them on/off by default. I prefer to have all safety systems on myself but I can understand why they are switched off at default. Can you imagine a newbie wanting a quick drive on a German train, with all sorts of alarms going off and they won't be moving very far, if they manage to get moving again!

• Like Like x 1
  4. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

As you say Scorpion71, it could lead to a lot of bad reviews. "None of the German trains work properly. Everything seems to be working to start with and I really love all the flashing lights on the instrument panel, it really adds to the immersion. But then the train just puts the brakes on for no apparent reason!".
    As it is, I quite like turning them on at the start of the journey. I like pressing buttons, and on the German trains its only 2 or 3. (AFB is more effort, and you wouldn't want that on by default I think)

5. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

This could be avoided by having an option in settings to turn them on by default so you have to actively choose to have it on. It could even be possible to have an option for each relevant country as someone may understand the British systems but not the German ones.

• Like Like x 2
  6. argyle_smurf

argyle_smurf Well-Known Member

Thats exactly the example I was thinking of. Frustrating especially when you're in mid-route and realise you forgot. I agree it should be off by default to prevent frustration but a menu option to turn them on in general would be lovely.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I think it'd be nice to have an option to have each of the safety systems enable by default. I always play with AWS on, and I'd also like my AFB and LZB enabled by default.

As I don't like PZB, Sifa and DSD, I'd prefer seperate options for each of these systems, rather than one option to enable/disable them all. :P

• Like Like x 2
  8. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I had made up checklist for running each locomotive train type. At the beginning of each scenario/service I run the list to double check everything is set to my liking. Of course, this is a hold over from my years of going to sea that every evolution had a check-list. But this prevents the situation of getting halfway through a run with the headlights off and for me adds to the immersion of what a driver should do.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

It's a shame that most timetable services don't really give you the time to follow any kind of checklist. You'd be running behind schedule in no-time.
    I remember on those services where a Class 31 pulls a Class 101 on Tees Valley. I always take the time to set the destination boards on both ends on the Class 101, turn off the engine (which I suspect shouldn't be running when pulled by a Class 31), turn rear lights and passenger lights on, in addition to preparing my Class 31 (which involves enabling headlights, and actually getting out of the train to check if they're actually on).
    Unfortunately this procedure takes some time (especially when you don't go running around like a madman) and you're already delayed before you even begin your service.

• Like Like x 4
  10. hightower

hightower Guest

:o
    100% this. I remember a while back in a discussion about why some people called this an arcade game rather than a sim, Matt saying he couldn’t understand where the arcade game moniker cane from. It’s this kind of thing. Why bother simulating these trains to this extent, if you set the game modes up in such a way that it’s actually impossible to use them and stay on schedule?

I’d love to see a feature like a drivers working day really utilising the timetable feature of the game. You start in the report centre and get your worksheet, head out to your train and set it up, then complete a days roster in real time (obviously they’ll need to fix the save game feature to do this). I think it would be a really interesting game mode and much better structure than get from A to B as fast as you can with your hair on fire. In time, there’s scope for a proper career mode where you start out on certain routes to learn them before building your experience with different traction and different routes. It would give some semblance of worth to these ‘action points’ which are a complete waste of time otherwise. They don’t mean anything!

Just another of my two penneths :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  11. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Why not halt the scenario until a certain objective indicates you are ready to start.
    For example, once you set the headlights the timer starts for the scenario.

• Like Like x 2
  12. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I still do my check list, could not care any less about the “scoring system” in TSW than I do about the scoring system in TS2020. Even being several a couple of minutes late for most stops, I still usually get a gold medal for whatever that is worth. Would rather drive my train properly set-up than worrying about a score that really means nothing. But that is just me.

• Like Like x 4
  13. conrail

conrail New Member

It's definitely not just you.

14. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

In any kind if switch the default is nearly alway off, if you want to turn it on, that is your decision, the fact is, a lot of people like me do not want the aws on during a game.

15. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

There's also a lot of people who like AWS on, so that's why we suggest having an option so people can choose if they want systems like AWS on or off by default. Should keep both sides of the playerbase happy :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

It's not just you. I hate the fact that timetable services are in fact on a timetable. Fortunately many freight services do not have a time table. Feels much more relaxed when not having a clock ticking, although I'm getting better at simply ignoring it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. met_cui98

met_cui98 Member

This type of setting would be especially helpful with the AC4400, since there is currently no way to enable the safety systems without a keyboard.

18. CaptHart

CaptHart New Member

So something like this in the settings (All choices are OFF by default) :

AWS Active at Start Up ............................................................................................ ON/OFF
    SIFA Active at Start Up ............................................................................................ ON/OFF
    PZB Active at Start Up ........................................................................................... ON/OFF
    LZB Active at Start Up ............................................................................................ ON/OFF
    DVD Active at Start Up ............................................................................................ ON/OFF

• Like Like x 5
  19. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head! I don't understand why time for these steps isn't accounted for. The services in journey mode start just when you have to leave, the same goes for scenarios.
    You can partially avoid this if you start services by exploration on foot. You'ìll have more time, but alas even trains in the depot are all powered up... This was already an issue in TSW2020, I was hoping they would look into it with the move to TSW 2, but it's still there.
    I know it's because the AI don't know/can't power up locos at the moment :(

I am definitely with you on that. It may also be part of the reason why I prefer freight services.

• Like Like x 1