Can't Get Any Of The Csx Locomotives To Move

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Purno, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I did the tutorials for all three CSX engines. But when doing a timetable service, I can't get the locomotives to move. Looks like something is still applying brake force, even though I'm confident I followed the exact same steps as explained in the tutorial. When throttling engine is generating amps/RPM. I've also watched the brake gauges because I know it takes time to release/apply pressure in long trains. But I can't figure it out...

Even tried enabling the Generator Field switch (which was ON in the tutorial but OFF in the timetable service), and various settings with the brake cut-out switch (which weren't explained in the tutorials).

So, what am I doing wrong here?

2. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

iirc the tutorials never mention that the switch on the side of the constrol stand which should be set to "lead or dead" instead of "trail 6 or 26" (by side of the control stand I really do mean side, look underneath and to the left of the brakes), also make sure the brake cut-in switch is set correctly.

3. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

The tutorials indeed never mention any of these switches. It's as simple as enter the reverser handle, put it into forward, sound the horn, release the brakes, set throttle to notch 1 and off you go...

I'll see if I can find these unexplained "trail 6 or 26" switches and set them to "lead or dead". I don't understand why these trains aren't ready to roll when starting a timetable service.

4. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

This is interesting. In the CSX stream, Matt couldn't move the loco either, and he did everything correctly. Maybe its a bug?

5. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I think he had something wrong.

6. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I managed to get the GP38-2 started.
    In addition to the steps explained in the tutorial, I had to;

- Set the Generator Field switch to ON
    - Set the Cut-Out Valve to Freight

I also set the Headlight Control to "Controlling with Unit at Long Hood end" before I realised that's just the headlight control. :P

Cannot find any switch indicating a "Trail 6 or 26" or "Lead or dead" in the GP38-2.

7. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It's just above the floor on the control stand facing the back of the loco.

8. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

Later on, Matt realized that you have to first sit in the loco for physics to switch on. See 1:37:30 for details.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. trigzd

trigzd Active Member

Nah he just forgot you have to sit in the drivers seat first to enable 'player physics' instead of AI physics

[EDIT Person above beat me to it]

10. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

I meant for the AC4400CW. It wouldn't move, even though he did everything he needed to do. It wasn't a cold start, just a normal setup and go...

11. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Ac44000 requires you to put the locomotive into lead mode from trail via the main drivers screen. Make sure when you select it you also save it on the screen!

12. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

see this you under stand Link

13. stinkyheadsman

stinkyheadsman Member

Matt did that, look at the link below

14. luisfernandez57

luisfernandez57 New Member

The only locomotive that works is the SD40, the others have a braking problem and it is impossible to move them, except by applying power, but the locomotive moves under braking and when the power is released it brakes. I think it's a program problem.

Luis Fernandez

15. upstatenyrailfan

upstatenyrailfan Member

interesting I've set Lead or dead on the GP38-2 and go down hill in a 0.4% requires 50% of service braking surely this is a glitch?

16. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

So I did notice my first day on Sandpatch whenever I applied or decreased the automatic brake on the AC44000 it would turn the handbrakes on all of the wagons whether I was increasing or decreasing. I don’t know if it’s just a graphical bug or if it actually effects the wagons. I have been able to run the SD40,GP38 and AC44000 on Sandpatch without any brake problems except that one time.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  17. jörgen Näslund

Even on this links you see how to start different engines. These are good. Explain from "Dark and Cold"
    and using Dpu in trains

Driving the SD40-2, GP38-2 and GP40-2
    Driving the AC4400CW

Most important is
    SD40 SD38
    Set the Engine Run, Field Generator and Control & Fuel Pump to the on position. Then turn the Cut-off valve to the Freight position.
    Then set the MU-2A valve to the Lead or Dead position (almost in floor)

AC4400CW
    Isolator to run and turn the Engine Run, Gen Field and Control switch on. From the monitor, select the Air Brake button on the IFD Keypad underneath the screen. From there, change the Cut-Out Value setting to Cut-In, (both i think) make sure to save the settings before exiting back to the main screen. Wait for the brake pressure to be adjusted to the right amount before releasing the Independent Brake, releasing the Automatic Brake will speed up the pressure.

• Like Like x 2
  18. upstatenyrailfan

upstatenyrailfan Member

Yes, i did many of these steps notch 8 up a 0.3% is considered struggling :/

19. jörgen Näslund

I had this problem with one of scenarios Fully Fuelled. There i saw the at the back dpu not was Dpu. (just dead engines. no force from them)
    and second engine was MU-2A in wrong position (I notice a air leak with independent brake "loco brake" in on position )
    so i change this to lead and back to Trail when the most of air leak was gone.
    When i Saw the Generator field was off. So with this setting I had only one engine driving,
    But after i fix the second engine I had 2 engines. I think the train brake on 3 engine (back in train) was in wrong position (think it shall be on "handle off"

So maybe we must check all engines they have right settings

20. Joker729

Joker729 Member

I had the same problem with that scenario. Ultimately I figured out the banking comm in my lead unit was off. Once I turned it on, I checked and my trailing pair were now fully powered up and matching my control moves. Made a HUGE difference. BTW, you can use the drone camera to check and manipulate the controls in the other locos without having to run back.

21. jörgen Näslund

Yeah its just goes 11 mph now uphill 1,5%, how you do banking comm to on posision in lead unit

22. Joker729

Joker729 Member

On the radio panel to your left, you will see three yellow buttons. The one you want to click is the one marked DISP. Click it to say "Banking COMM on". That will activate the helper engines at the rear of the consist.

• Like Like x 1
  23. jörgen Näslund

Thanks. Have driven this a lot but now I have learned me a new thing

24. Joker729

Joker729 Member

You and me both :)

• Like Like x 1
  25. upstatenyrailfan

upstatenyrailfan Member

how do you know its on plus i click it it'll say over it again click to turn it off is that right? and do you turn it on in the lead loco or just the rear?

26. Joker729

Joker729 Member

When you mouse over the button, the message that appears will tell you the current status of the system. I used to be confused by that myself. Eventually I just learned that, whatever it said when I moused over, is how it was currently set. If says its on, then its on. You only turn it on in the lead loco; the one you will be driving. Don't touch it in any of the others.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  27. jörgen Näslund

I testing now one train with generator field. It seems just the lead loco who needs that.
    seems like this lead locomotive controls many settings in the other locomotives behind
    It was Ac4400 I did testing on ( 2 engines in front)

28. upstatenyrailfan

upstatenyrailfan Member

I'm hear noise now when i notch up that must be a good sign

29. Joker729

Joker729 Member

You can use the drone camera (3) to check the controls in the locos on the back. That's what I did. I could see the reverser forward and the throttle lever in the same position as my loco. Try it. Just look thru the window on the engineer's side.

30. upstatenyrailfan

upstatenyrailfan Member

CTRL AND - or plus work too :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. jörgen Näslund

I never got this worked. Try another train today with same results. (4 sd40) 2 dead loco at back. But today i Learned me a new thing.
    In lead loco i go to fuse door and turned on the fuse for radio
    and go back in train to 3 loco (first loco at back) did the same thing (on fuse radio) then i go back to lead loco and did Banking COMM on
    Now it worked. The loco at back now pushes me.

32. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...guess you got this working too, so that’s great. The circuit breaker for the banking radio *must* be on in both lead units- in the lead unit at the front of the train, and in the lead unit in the helper pair. And the banking radio is only turned on in the lead unit up front.

33. coleb13

coleb13 New Member

Doing those things seemed to work. If that's how it was supposed to work, they sure left a lot of obscure things out of the tutorial!

34. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

Yep, they did... and I have no idea why. I’d personally like to see a much better suite of tutorials included with *every* route they release, with step-by-step info on these same procedures included in the route docs as well. I hope we get there one day... but with all of the issues DTG is working on right now with TSW 2, I doubt that will be anytime soon unfortunately.

P.S. I see you’re new to the forums... welcome aboard! If you run into any sort of question or issue you have related to the new sim, be sure to search the forums here- you’re likely to find plenty of info on what you’re after.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  35. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Frankly SPG is a bad route for the novice.
    Especially as it’s their second attempt.
    The tutorials and meagre manual are inadequate for the job, as they don’t provide sufficient detail.
    Real drivers spend months training before they’re allowed behind the throttle.

It’s no good promoting gameplay when the users switch routes due to frustration with locos and consists they find impossible to get and keep moving.

Surely DTG could find a member of the team able to provide some video walkthroughs.
    Starting SPG locos from cold. Setting up multiple units and bankers correctly.

A couple of hours work for Jamie would quickly address this issue and remove another item from his list, to say nothing of the goodwill it would create.

• Like Like x 2
  36. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

While I appreciate the videos DTG does make, I’d rather see these details in a tutorial.

It makes a huge difference actually doing what the tutorial walks us through, in helping to remember the details in the future.

• Like Like x 3
  37. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Hopefully tutorial videos, like Matts PZB et al. video, will be stickied on the forums somewhere and on the TSW2 website.

38. jörgen Näslund

But what I think is cool is it seems to work as for real. If the radio is not on, banking can never work.
    If the brake settings is wrong you cant drive the train.
    This details i very love. Dovetail has basically got all the features (or many)
    Many others simulators it is just work but but in cheated way. So I think this a lot better.
    Thanks Dovetail for this deep qualities you have given locomotives.

But but what is wrong is that they show some things we should do but not everything. and it makes people puzzled.

39. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

The TSW2 users' manual provides written instructions for starting each CSX engines, but without pictures some procedures remain obscure. This is especially true of setting up the IFD screen in the CSX AC4400CW, which is covered in the tutorial but remains a tricky business, particularly in terms of distinguishing the numbers only "keys" from the F+number "keys". The answer lies in what a famous musician (whose name escapes me at the moment) said when asked, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?": "Practice, practice, practice!"

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Realistically DTG should have ensured that when trains are top and tailed the fuses for the radios in both lead units are switched on and the radio is configured correctly unless setting these up are specifically part of the scenario or tutorial in which case instructions need to be given.

• Like Like x 2
  41. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember they said they choice to have all kind of safety systems set off by default to make sure new players, and those who aren't complete train-nuts, would still be able to enjoy the game instead of running into complex systems they would not understand and not enjoy.

So I find it rather silly to have all kind of switches that need to be set up, without any kind of feedback, where even those of us familiar with train simulation get confused.

Might as well turn AWS on by default. It's a pretty simple system compared to setting up these CSX engines...
    I don't understand DTG logic here. You either make things simple, or you make things realistic.

42. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

You do realize the name of the game is Train Sim World, right?

43. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

How does that explain DTG went for the realistic complex way with the CSX engines, but DTG went the casual way by turning a simple safety system like AWS off by default?

Looks to me like even DTG doesn't know what kind of game they want to make.

44. TheShotte

Because turning off a Safety System (something that can be done IRL as well) is not the same thing as changing a fundamental way a train works?

• Like Like x 2
  45. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Having buttons automatically set in the correct position isn't changing the way a train works.

46. TheShotte

There are many different locomotive configurations. When an engineer leaves a locomotive, this is essentially how he leaves it. This is what's called "3 step protection" that leaves the locomotive essentially safe. Consider yourself lucky they didn't leave it cold and dark.